Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friends invited me to a Rage Room where you just hit stuff with a sledgehammer but it costs money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

bunch of dude working on palantirs read your thoughts program dont get pay checks

this is an attack on workers

Not to be too glib, but maybe someone there needs healthcare? Honestly, I would have a pretty hard time not thinking less of someone who works for Thiel, but I could see myself swallowing my pride if I had a sick kid or something. But yeah, I'd probably assume someone working for Thiel deserves what they get unless proven otherwise, I will concede that much. As a non-american though I can't imagine what not having healthcare would make me do.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what the gently caress is a throwing ax barn

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i say swears online posted:

my friends invited me to a Rage Room where you just hit stuff with a sledgehammer but it costs money

lol that is a thing? Couldn't you just volunteer your time at a construction company doing demos?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

It did happen. I saw it. There were people that were cheering on the other side of C-Spam, where you have a lot of liberals. They were cheering as Silicon Valley collapsed. I know it might be not politically correct for posters to talk about it, but there were goons cheering as the tech bubble imploded — as that bubble popped. And that tells you something. It was well covered at the time. Now, I know people don’t like to talk about it, but it was well covered at the time. There were people over in C-SPAM that were watching it, it has a large liberal population, that were cheering as the tech bubble came down. Not good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

lol that is a thing? Couldn't you just volunteer your time at a construction company doing demos?

i chop wood and get something useful out of it, for free

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

Anyone here not some kind of self-loathing computer toucher?

Me >:]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Virtual Russian posted:

Not to be too glib, but maybe someone there needs healthcare? Honestly, I would have a pretty hard time not thinking less of someone who works for Thiel, but I could see myself swallowing my pride if I had a sick kid or something. But yeah, I'd probably assume someone working for Thiel deserves what they get unless proven otherwise, I will concede that much. As a non-american though I can't imagine what not having healthcare would make me do.

this is how american democrats and neoliberalism capital stays in power.

biden is actually progressive by breaking the railroad strike because there could be workers there that need their paycheck to feed their starving disabled cancer child and actually you need to vote for dianne feinstein because if a republican gets in they'd be even worse! actually it's good walmart is exploiting old people because they need the money to pay their taxes and no one else will give them jobs

as soon as you cede individualism appellatio ad ethos to systematic problems, you've already lost the plot

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

You're not allowed to red faction a building willy nilly

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Learn To Not Code

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i chop wood and get something useful out of it, for free

I suspect some people cannot conceive of a way to interact with the world without exchanging money. Like why chop wood for myself when I could go somewhere and pay to simulate the same task, but rebranded as a leisure activity.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

I suspect some people cannot conceive of a way to interact with the world without exchanging money. Like why chop wood for myself when I could go somewhere and pay to simulate the same task, but rebranded as a leisure activity.

for some reason they feel more comfortable drinking while doing the latter

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

no. that’s like saying a cop with a sick kid just has to be a cop because there’s no other way to financially provide on this planet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i am harry posted:

no. that’s like saying a cop with a sick kid just has to be a cop because there’s no other way to financially provide on this planet

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Virtual Russian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmVjdYE7qY

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

drunk, shirtless, alone in the rain chopping as much firewood as i can and getting it all unusably soggy sounds like a great time

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lol, it is so cold in my apartment right now my body temp dipped to 94.5, time to bundle up. Maybe that is affecting my mood.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
once while out drinking in the woods with some friends i made it a goal to chop a tree down and buddy, that poo poo is HARD

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

like obviously there’s lots of chill women and men who are getting screwed out of paychecks…..$14,000 monthly paychecks…..two checks for $7000 every month

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
look just pretend they are landlords for code or something

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i am harry posted:

No I agree, but I could understand if that was your skill set. Thiel is one of the worst in the bunch and we all have to account for our actions.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

once while out drinking in the woods with some friends i made it a goal to chop a tree down and buddy, that poo poo is HARD

one swing at a 45 degree angle, one swing horizontally. always wear gloves

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I once tried to shoot a tree until it was felled

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

quote:

Parker Conrad, CEO and co-founder of the startup company Rippling, posted a series of tweets addressing the collapse.

"Rippling has historically relied on SVB for payments rails for our payroll and other products. In light of yesterday's news, we immediately accelerated a planned switch to JPMorgan Chase," Conrad said. "Effective immediately & going forward, Rippling payroll runs will process through JPMC. However, pay runs in flight for today out of SVB have not been paid. The latest we heard from SVB this morning was that this was an operational delay and funds will be released."

quote:

Rippling is a human resource management company that offers an all-in-one platform to help manage HR and IT operations

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Virtual Russian posted:

Depends where you live. I make 50k living in the second most expensive city in my country, I'm above the poverty line, but I have to work like 50 - 60 hours to survive, and I have literally nothing to show for it. Losing my income would be the end of me. Way too many expenses and no savings, I wouldn't survive a job hunt if it carried over from one month to the next. I am moving somewhere more affordable soon at least.

I'd guess off the top of my head that someone in SF would be in a pretty similar situation, so I'd hazard anyone making less than maybe 35k a year is absolutely destitute. Does that track? Not sure what your point is.

Just that if you make 100k for a year then don't make any money for 6 months until you get another job I'm not overly sympathetic. Your point about health is true though.
Glad to hear your situation is improving.

Al! posted:

walking the line between the wall and the most reeducation time possible

Reeducation isn't punitive, it takes as long as it takes, but if you're really desperate to get sent down to the countryside I could probably find space.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Weka posted:

Just that if you make 100k for a year then don't make any money for 6 months until you get another job I'm not overly sympathetic. Your point about health is true though.
Glad to hear your situation is improving.

Thanks, it has been weighing on me and is a huge weight lifted.

I guess yeah, my point is if you are making 100k in SF, support a family or something, need that much money and lose it I will never laugh at you. If some tech bro is living at home or something making bank and loses it, never bothered to save, and didn't need it then sure, lets all have a good laugh. I still don't like to take shots at working folks when the boss is right there (and won't suffer at all), but yeah, way less sympathy.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Weak rear end line, I've seen a line four city blocks long just to get beer. This is nothing.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

Lol, it is so cold in my apartment right now my body temp dipped to 94.5, time to bundle up. Maybe that is affecting my mood.

Dude if your body temp is 94.5 you're having a Very Bad Time

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

This is below the range where hypothermia occurs

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Dude if your body temp is 94.5 you're having a Very Bad Time

I put on some layers, already up almost a degree. Yeah I was shivering pretty bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've basically been inconsolable at these recent events. When I think of the pain all these computer experts are going through, it tears me up inside. How could this happen?!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Virtual Russian posted:

Thanks, it has been weighing on me and is a huge weight lifted.

I guess yeah, my point is if you are making 100k in SF, support a family or something, need that much money and lose it I will never laugh at you. If some tech bro is living at home or something making bank and loses it, never bothered to save, and didn't need it then sure, lets all have a good laugh. I still don't like to take shots at working folks when the boss is right there (and won't suffer at all), but yeah, way less sympathy.

well yes, mocking and reveling in an individual's misfortunate is GBS mt everest psycho poo poo. if someone came in and would be like "i lost my job at uber and i cant feed my family", the right thing would be to say goondolences and offer support.

but laughing at a collective group of workers who were screaming at all the poor people to learn2code and crying about homeless ruining their views while working on evil gig AI fartapps is mildly funny. especially these people (from san francisco):

quote:

This isn’t going to sound pretty but it also matters in terms of your brand name. Going from Meta to a significantly known lower tier/pay company (not a start up) will tarnish your brand and hurt your future prospects and your bargaining ability.

I also had to make a similar decision earlier, to either take an offer for a lower tier company with a significant pay cut or continue to be jobless. After thinking it through and consulting I came to the conclusion that being jobless and continuing to look will be a better move for my future. I did end up taking an offer at a mid tier company (still a pay cut) but it wasn’t as much of a drop

quote:

recently interviewed a few folks from Google. The comp expectations from engineers with 5 or fewer years is wildly out of touch. This wave of layoffs will be a wake up call to those who thought they will waltz into a job and make bank. It’s easier than other industries, but drat, 28 year olds desperate for $200k is insane. I wish I had an inflated salary at that age

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Home sick from work today, hence all the posting. I thought I was running a fever and I was experiencing chills. Thermometer showed me I was pretty wrong about that.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Xaris posted:

well yes, mocking and reveling in an individual's misfortunate is GBS mt everest psycho poo poo. if someone came in and would be like "i lost my job at uber and i cant feed my family", the right thing would be to say goondolences and offer support.

but laughing at a collective group of workers who were screaming at all the poor people to learn2code and crying about homeless ruining their views while working on evil gig AI fartapps is mildly funny. especially these people (from san francisco):

As I said before, tech bros have said all this poo poo to me, made fun of my inability to code due to a learning disability, and I lost my home in 2008 and was literally homeless for months (I at least was able to couchsurf), and I still won't stoop to laughing at them. I will laugh a lot at the industry and anyone who doesn't need the money.

Edit: lost my apartment when I lost my job, I didn't own anything.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

I put on some layers, already up almost a degree. Yeah I was shivering pretty bad.

I know cost wise, urgent care and hospitals are expensive, but please be aware of yourself and bundle up as much as possible. There's a very common set of symptoms (shivering with quick onset so much that it interrupts speech, severe headache that worsens with movement, feverish pain all over) that mean generally that you're having a rough time.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I know cost wise, urgent care and hospitals are expensive, but please be aware of yourself and bundle up as much as possible. There's a very common set of symptoms (shivering with quick onset so much that it interrupts speech, severe headache that worsens with movement, feverish pain all over) that mean generally that you're having a rough time.

Thanks for the concern, I'm mending the situation. My partner is back from work and is aware as well. All good. Also I'm in Canada so healthcare cost won't be a factor if it worsens.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

Thanks for the concern, I'm mending the situation. My partner is back from work and is aware as well. All good. Also I'm in Canada so healthcare cost won't be a factor if it worsens.

No worries, stay safe. Sorry about your couch surfing days- I've been in the same boat and it sucks. Hope things continue to improve for you.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

No worries, stay safe. Sorry about your couch surfing days- I've been in the same boat and it sucks. Hope things continue to improve for you.

They have, those days convinced me to go to school and get some skills. I'm in a rough spot because I got caught in an insane cost of living rise, but I got a job in the cheapest part of the country to live in, and I didn't even get a pay cut. I've got two months to make it through and them I'm there. There is also zero tech sector where I'm going, always a plus.

I'll offer an olive branch to goons living in SF, I have been pretty drat annoyed with our tech bros in Canada, but we have nowhere near the concentration that you folks have. I might be a bit more jaded towards them if I dealt with way more of them.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Virtual Russian posted:

Dang I converted to celsius, wtf mate?! You gotta look after yourself.

Ytlaya posted:

I've basically been inconsolable at these recent events. When I think of the pain all these computer experts are going through, it tears me up inside. How could this happen?!

Somebody came in the wrong computer at the bank is what I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if that's a real core temp and not like a forehead scanner thing that's no bullshit hypothermia

i guess that's canada for you eh