Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Personally I am excited for Egg Chris vs Sausage roll Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they seemingly just haven't bothered to do anything about it until now.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's a dumb own goal in an election year and she's also right but its without context and the right will flog it forever.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

bike tory posted:

Chloe pissed off the Māori caucus in the greens by campaigning for central Auckland at the same time as Marama ran for Tāmaki Makaurau. Other than that it's probably just envy because Chloe gets a lot of airtime and attention.

quote:

Prior to this month's leaked messages, Kerekere was most well-known for breaking Covid-19 isolation rules in early 2022 by flying from Gisborne to Wellington while one of her household members had tested positive.

Kerekere stepped down from her Covid-19 portfolio, but was reportedly unhappy with how the matter was handled. At the time, Stuff reported that Kerekere had strongly complained internally about a statement issued by the Greens and threatened to go to the media with her side of the story.

Someone at RNZ doesn't like her much lol.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Is it really a communist utopia if it doesn't consist almost exclusively of 30-something men with cushy office jobs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The Therapeutic products bill is desperately needed to rein in the loving awful 'supplements' industry we have in NZ. That said banning buyers clubs such as the one in the article is very problematic because frankly Medsafe is poo poo, slow and incredibly expensive so getting registration for many generic drugs is simply not going to happen.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its $10,000 (low risk, not many medicines would be that people actually want) to $70,000 for provisional consent and can take 6-18 months.

Only the manufacturer is able to supply the required information (detailed GMP data) and none of them will pay the fee and put in the effort to compile a NZ specific dossier, its a huge problem already and just doesn't happen for a lot of medicines because the market size is so small.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah technically, basically anything can currently be got via section 25/29 of the medicines act but it's inconvenient as hell for everyone involved.

The problem I see with the act is that there are a not insignificant number of edge cases which require Medsafe to be flexible, well resourced and capable of forward thinking which in my extensive experience it is none of these things, ever.

Then again the act is overwhelmingly needed and the small stuff can probably eventually be ironed out. Medsafe have surprised me several times this year so it's possible the needed changes are already underway.

Also fun fact, the annual amount kiwis spend on basically useless 'supplements' is almost twice the Pharmac budget that pays for every publically funded medicine in the country.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 26, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Cosmetics, yup lol.

Don't look too hard but the subsidised one almost certainly doesn't live up to it's SPF claims.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's gonna still be nationals election to lose imo but they are incredibly incompetent so they very well might. It will be interesting to see if the ol dirty politics and actually competent at marketing wings stir themselves enough for the christian fascist wing currently in control or if they can pour enough money in via their usual dubious behavior to swing things.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Blue green voters are absolutely a thing and will be a powerful force one day in the future. Just life in new Zealand is too comfortable for now. Australia suddenly got a whole lot when the Apocalyptic bushfires started threatening wealthy suburbs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

She very dimly sent an email to the speaker outlining what she was doing (which should trigger the waka jump) and now they're all having to pretend that the speaker didn't see it and she withdrew it and blah blah blah technically an email is not a letter. It's very dumb.

Source me, direct from people who work in the Parliamentary service who are all finding it highly amusing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 3, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

As someone who is deeply involved in the pharmaceutical sector in NZ the removal of prescription charges is unambiguously good for a large number of reasons.

1) Everyone getting a prescription saves some money.
1a) Everyone actually saves quite a lot more money than initially apparent. E.g. doctors will now freely write scripts for common medicines (paracetamol, ibuprofen, like a thousand common dermatology things) to allow people access at zero cost to them.
1b) The country saves in aggregate a HUGE amount of money due to people accessing those medicines at wholesale prices instead of buying the OTC from the pharmacy or supermarket at huge huge markups.
As and example let's look at paracetamol, the cheapest you personally can get it is chemist warehouse, $4.60 for 100 tabs and everywhere else it can be significantly more expensive. The gov gets it for $17 for 1000 tabs.

2) One more barrier to accessing medicines is removed. Wholly good.
2a) The people who are the sickest are the ones who can least afford the copay.
2b) People actually taking their medicine keeps them out of further care saving money on more medicine or hospitalisation down the line.

3) It reduces bureaucracy around prescriptions, the pharmacy sector is already under huge pressure and every bit helps.

4) Bargain chemist and chemist warehouse lose their loss leader advantage, which is good cause they are destroying the pharmacy sector by cherry picking low complexity high profit patients.

5) I don't have to think about it at work anymore.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

echinopsis posted:

the place is micromanaged, and we're watched on camera and told to stop talking to people etc. I can't handle it, my self esteem is like a wet tissue, truly pathetic, and I cannot handle it for much longer. oh how I wish I had energy to look for a new job rather than just feel sad all the time. LOL

If you are anywhere near Welly come work for the devil itself in government.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 24, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

ED wait time targets are exactly the sort of things Tories introduce (and they did in the UK) which make the actual problem (not enough capacity and staff) worse because it forces redeployment to the ED and then you end out bottlenecked from moving people out of ED and all the classic scenes of people in trolleys in corridors etc.

The actual fix is increasing capacity in primary care, making primary care affordable so people don't hit up ED just because it's free or programs where at triage people get sent off immediately to an on-site GP or PCP if that's what they actually need instead of clogging up ED.

Saros fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 30, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lol spending half a percent of GDP to buy out a couple of hundred wrecked properties.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

exmarx posted:

what do you think should happen

I honestly am not across the detail but it is a staggeringly large amount of money to give to a few hundred households who are generally going to be already fairly well off and have insurance. Largely so we can just kick the can on managed retreat past the election.

1 billion dollars could for example feed and clothe every one of the 150,000 children in poverty in NZ for 3-5 years.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That is because the middle class is not a real thing. There are owners and not owners.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

There's a full size Waka in the Pitt Rivers anthropology museum in Oxford as well, I was really surprised to see it there cause it's not exactly an insubstantial thing to cart all the way around the world.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

More like 1.2-4 million depending how you count the US death toll.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It'll be about everyone under 40 gets screwed same as always.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Um, yes? Petrol dropped from like $3 to $2.30ish when the subsidy came in and went up again when it ended. Maybe the petroleum companies kept some of it too idk but I definitely saved an appreciable amount of money because of it

The price drop was about two months after the tax cut and mostly due to falling oil prices and the gov threatening the petrol companies with an investigation.

They pocketed massive amounts of $$$ in the interim then gradually ramped prices back up (as oil prices collapsed!) anyway. It was I think one of the single worst and most ineffective policies the gov has implemented and a complete disaster.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The primary constraint.on the sort of HC work we are talking about is staff capacity, there simply aren't enough pharmacists, nurses doctors etc etc etc.

No you can't go back in time 20 years to train more.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

echinopsis posted:

pro tip : if someone comes to me on the minor ailments scheme and tells me they’re maori/pacific it is NOT my job to police that and get anyone to prove it. even if they’re blonde hair blue eyes or the president of china, I can just take their word for it. at least that’s good

same as CSC, I don’t have to check for it, just believe them.

It's this, nobody is auditing it and even if they did there's literally no way to disprove anything.

The reason for M/Pi access to things at younger ages is because being M/Pi is literally as bad for your health as being fifteen years older. I worked extensively on this when deciding funding criteria for Covid treatments and the evidence is extremely conclusive.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 16, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is this one of those statistically true things or is there a genetic factor?

It's true across the entirety of health outcomes and the reasons behind it are myriad. There's an ocean of research and rationale but it boils down to just being immensely worse off in every measurable way.

As an example it's so bad a near majority of Māori men die before retirement age and the rest shortly after, barely drawing the super despite paying into it all their lives.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's in that ballpark, I don't remember the exact amount of the top of my head. Current life expectancy for Māori men is 72-73 and it's been increasing rapidly for the past decade at about 6 months per year, prior to that it was in the 60's so this is actually a massive improvement.

[E] got the years wrong, it's increased by about 5 years since 2003 so about 3 months per year with most of the gains in the past 8-10.

Saros fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 16, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

In all honesty it's probably about 30-50% the reduction in smoking.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Indeed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/132784074/the-system-is-f-immigration-staff-say-bosses-knew-visa-system-didnt-work-and-ignored-it

Lol drat looks like INZ has massively hosed up and let thousands of exploitative employers literally sell NZ Work visas with no actual jobs attached.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Roy Morgan is trash that consistently overstates the rights share and acts in particular.

E - I may have gotten my polls confused

Saros fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 5, 2023

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think a gp makes about 180

250-300 for an experienced GP at the corporate practices, for a practice owner-operator it can vary a lot but is often more.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I clicked through and read the actual tweet and I can't see anything particularly contentious but at the same time by NZ media standards I should be put in a cell

It's a sign of a terminal poster and the country just can't deal with it.

This will probably lose the greens a couple of seats lol.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

No true poster.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Of course they do just look at the donations by party. Nat/Act got like 10x more than everyone else combined.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

So unless I'm understanding that RUC/uel excise change its basically taxing small efficient cars to give a tax break to Ranger drivers, lmao.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

what's wrong with the luxon tweet?

:::thatsbait.jpg:::

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

And the funniest election result has come to pass. Good luck dealing with increasingly crazy Winston fellas!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

There is a point but for rich people it's well beyond what most people would consider reasonable.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

dissss posted:

Universal RUCs make sense, but the problem is you need some way of incentivising more efficient vehicles which it doesn't sound like we're going to get.

Their manifesto explained it and it's literally making all cars pay the same, a tax on small efficient vehicles to subsidise Ranger drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Rebate was good because it forced a bunch of E vehicle producers to reduce their prices to something reasonable to make the criteria, especially at the bottom end. Uptake would have been tiny without it.