Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I once voted for NZ first :cry: to give myself credit winston did get in and gently caress things up for national somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Wish somebody would introduce stv for electorate votes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

If you think the article's bad, wait until you see the comments!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

It is complicated but never give management types the benefit of the doubt. I bet they are all on nz.managerforum.com talking about the best way to screw people over on holidays I mean minimise liabilities for shareholders

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Gotta be at least two, with a name like that

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Where do you think all those Ford rangers come from?

Just wanted to say that I often fall into this trap of being jealous of people with nice cars or boats when they are seemingly less well off than I am and I have a decade old car and think "How can they afford a nice car???". But more likely they are buying it with a loan of some kind and anyone in employment could have that nice car at least temporarily, and we just choose to buy an old car to save money

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Makes you wonder why pay is comparatively so low here for a lot of jobs. Sure some countries have far worse environmental protections and job safety laws and so on but there's plenty of money in NZ business. Are we all just too weak to negotiate better pay? I mean I know I am

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Yuiiut posted:

https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/gdp-per-hour-worked.htm

An Australian worker produces an estimated $57 USD of value an hour when they work, ahead of Canada and slightly behind Finland. A Kiwi worker produces around $43 worth of value, putting us amongst the former Soviet countries (behind Poland and Lithuania, but hey, we're barely beating Hungary and Estonia :unsmith:). NZ businesses and our economy in general don't have 'plenty of money' compared to Australia, they're a solid quarter to a third behind, same as our workers. Compared to who we think of as our peers (like CANZUK), we work significantly more hours for lower pay to make up for our abysmal productivity, and have local capital diverted to real estate or invested overseas out of lack of productive uses.

Oof.

Reading all the replies, very informative if depressing so thanks. I should try and get a remote job that's overseas I guess haha

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Always pissed me off when I would see a huge billboard of a real estate agent's face. Getting billboard money for being a glorified used car salesman

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Somebody explain to me why this is bad or why right wing idiots are pretending it is bad please

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131835316/pm-chris-hipkins-defends-meng-foons-donations-to-kiri-allan

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

What can you even do with $10k these days. National were bribed ten times that amount

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

My son had a (possibly) broken arm recently and I had to wait over 12 hours. Think it is worse than it was

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Seeing a lot of people on twitter saying something along the lines of "I thought I was well-off, but the greens plan will actually be a tax cut for me" so they really stopped most people from having any valid complaint about it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Wouldn't risk doing that kind of thing myself, but I'm not too surprised that the nz police massively blundered an investigation that was slightly more complicated than tasing somebody or playing demo derby

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I tried to learn what "Identity Politics" means but all I've discovered so far is that it's another shorthand for "I'm racist". I agree with the most of what the greens are doing, we have to address race or other identity based issues if we want to have worker's rights and decent pay for everybody

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Slavvy posted:

This is structurally impossible because capitalism creates inequality as a basic function of itself, you literally cannot address this stuff in a meaningful way because it isn't caused by people just magically being bigoted but whatever I'm wasting my energy with this poo poo

I agree with you, about capitalism. I still think it's good to not be racist in the meantime

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

The spinoff were at it too in their "newsletter":

quote:

Three is the magic number
The Green Party released a Pledge to Renters that would introduce rent controls limiting increases to 3% a year, including for new tenancy agreements. Rent increases larger than 3% would be allowed only if the landlord had made “substantial changes to the property that provide a material benefit to tenants”, such as major renovations, and the increase would need to be agreed by the tenants and the landlord before work began. The pledge also includes a “warrant of fitness” for rentals – a certification that every landlord would need to obtain at their own expense before letting a property. While the current Healthy Homes Standards are mandatory for new tenancies (existing private tenancies have until July 1 2025 to comply), enforcement is currently minimal, the Greens say. A WoF would take the burden off renters to enforce the law by taking their landlord to the Tenancy Tribunal.

An unsurprising thumbs down from landlords
The reaction from landlords has not been kind. The Property Investors Federation says rent controls would worsen the rental property shortage by encouraging landlords to sell up, and mean more tenancies being negotiated on the “black market”. Vice president Peter Lewis says singling out rents for price controls doesn’t make sense, given that rents are rising at less than the rate of inflation while costs to landlords such as rates and insurance skyrocket. He argues that restoring the mortgage interest deduction would do more to help tenants, through flow-on effects on rents. National and Act have also attacked the policy, while advocacy group Renters United is welcoming the proposals as “ultimately better for renters and landlords”.

Are economists right to disparage rent controls?
National’s housing spokesperson Chris Bishop says “almost all” economists agree rent controls are counterproductive. Is he right? In 2021, Stuff’s Mikaela Wilkes spoke to ​​Council of Trade Unions economist Craig Renney and independent economist Shamubeel Eaqub about rent controls, and both said they’re generally a bad idea. “Rent controls are a disincentive to build property types that are more likely to be rented, like apartments and small dwellings, and they are a disincentive for landlords to maintain properties to a level we would like,” said Renney. “It seems like a deceptively simple thing to do: just stop rents rising and everything will be fine,” said Eaqub. “But it isn’t that simple, there are known consequences.” Renters United forcefully pushes back on claims they don’t work. “The top performing economies in the OECD successfully implement rent controls,” their website argues. “This is not a radical idea that has never been tried before.” Vox also has an in-depth explainer that makes the case for rent controls.

For property investors, it all hinges on October 14
Labour has yet to release its election policy on housing, but it’s pointing to renter-friendly changes already introduced, such as rules limiting rent rises to once every 12 months. National is promising more help for landlords, including restoring no-cause evictions and the mortgage interest tax deduction, both removed (or phased out) under Labour’s watch. The differing approaches are encapsulated in an interview with a property investor by Stuff’s Geraden Cann. Brianna Kerridge says she and her husband will likely sell one of their four properties if Labour wins in October – but if National regains power, then they’re all set to buy a fifth.

Feels like they are cherry picking the quotes from economists too

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

carrionman posted:

Oh, it was great. Originally I was going to run it via a rental agency, harcourts I think, because it was only for a year and I couldn't be assed to actually manage it myself.
The people in those agencies, now there's some loving psychopaths. The profiling that went on there would make a phrenologist proud, made my goddamn skin crawl

They are absolute scum, more so even than actual landlords which is a high standard

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

He's coming to Te Atatū Peninsula - if he can manage to read the sign for the offramp

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

BuckyDoneGun posted:

He is? When, I could do with a laugh.

6:30 tonight at the Te Pai centre

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

It's cool how immediately after Labour announce they will do gently caress all, National shills go right back to accusing them of putting taxes up anyway. Especially when National want to raise taxes as well??

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

The amount of dogs roaming free around my neighbourhood is insane. I love dogs but I think if they escape too many times their owners should be fired out of a cannon. Also re nuts eugenicist takes, it's sad how many times people will straight up say to you "poor people shouldn't have kids" then act surprised when you tell them that's hosed up

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Wild that a guy on home d for domestic violence had access to a shotgun

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Spyderizer posted:

I would like to vote for this seal I found in Kaikoura last week.

Did the phone image correction go hard on the rocks and road there or is it just my eyes? Almost looks painted

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I miss black v too but not as much as I miss relentless

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

a comedian once laughed at me cos I put my hand up instead of verbally answering "anyone here like thing" :( it was a good show though

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Slavvy posted:

That's communism

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

That reminds me, I heard some (primary?) teachers are moaning that their union payouts are being taxed at 50%. Anyone know why that would be, or are they just exaggerating because its 33% plus student loan and kiwisaver or something

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Beartaco posted:

Surely it's only fair that our secondary teachers get the better end of the stick given the dire state of our high schools and the nature of the work they do.

Wow, no

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Also it's a real sign how hosed our society is that teachers (while still underpaid) could easily be making 100k now which is a lot more than many other jobs. Purely because they are one of the few professions with a somewhat functioning union

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

It's almost like Japan has been giving tax incentives and other benefits for people to have small efficient cars since around 1949

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I wish they had a camera so we could see all the idiots loving up their cars on the barrier