Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Auckland getting what it deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Nash insisting on making being homeless functionally illegal with his pet anti freedom camping legislation, in spite of mbie civil servants repeatedly telling him "this is a really bad idea" seems somewhat worse than this imo

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
the whites in this place ain't right

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
really odd how the only politicians regularly accused of racism in media and by the electorate are all maori women, really odd! almost as if there is a general culture of white supremacy or something

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

he's truly the ur-boomer

can't do anything once his tablet stops working

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I think once again the thread has confused working class tradespeople with the petit bourgeois tradie business owners who act like they're the voice of the working poor while clearing 120k a year with all the tax breaks afforded to them

There's units being built on my street and all the non white builders and workers turn up in old Nissan sedans with their tools in the boot, while all the white dudes have late model rangers and hiluxes

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 18, 2023

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bobbilljim posted:

Just wanted to say that I often fall into this trap of being jealous of people with nice cars or boats when they are seemingly less well off than I am and I have a decade old car and think "How can they afford a nice car???". But more likely they are buying it with a loan of some kind and anyone in employment could have that nice car at least temporarily, and we just choose to buy an old car to save money

The point of being irritated by the Ford rangers is they're buying or leasing them through a business, which is a huge tax advantage compared to someone who is on paye

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

what's wrong with golriz

Dated guy Williams, a poor life choice

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Her jumping p much guarantees TPM as the deciding party based on polling then?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

i think he looks good

marc daalder unsurprisingly has the correct take on the greens/kerekere situation
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/kerekere-gone-from-greens-but-identity-crisis-remains

Weird how someone gang beating another kid with a chair leg didn't get the same kind of scrutiny as texting "crybaby"

Someone should also tell national a fundamental part of the political system is accepting compromise lmao

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 7, 2023

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Firstscion posted:

Old building exempt from sprinklers

Better than that, the building's escape height has to be quite high before sprinklers are required by the building code, even if it sleeps 100 people

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lmao Nicola Willis

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

The "free prescriptions" in this example were paid for by the study itself

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I try not to read too much about it as I get real mad, but they've been wanting to get SH2 fixed, improved whatever for years. Now they're doing it and everyone is bitching about the traffic, I dunno what they expect. Roads to magically build themselves? Just selfish stupid shitsheads. The same people who complain about potholes then moan about traffic when they get fixed.

No you see all roadworks should be done between 10pm and 6am, and all the cones/signs removed every morning so boomers can drive at 120kph. Forcing people to drive at 30-50kph actually increases the risk of crashes because it's sooo tiring to drive slower

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The argument that lower speed limits increase driver fatigue is incredibly common in this dumb country, the number of local government submissions opposing reducing 50km/h zones to 30km/h that use the driver fatigue argument is hilarious

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

unfortunately michael cullen destroyed any real hope of class consciousness by creating a generation of capitalists through kiwisaver (new take im working on)

Excuse me I've made this same take wrt to cgt many times in this thread

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

I really do think saying that Marama Davidson's correct and brave observations of who causes violence has lost the greens votes is just a fragile white mans just-so story to validate a tantrum and justify giving up his principles. Workers rights and women's rights are one and the same. There is no way in hell anyone can say with any authority that what Marama said had lost the greens voters. Its absurd to even pretend you could possibly know that.

white men are garbage and mostly vote for national so thinking the greens lost votes over marama is peak idiot

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

that stuff never made sense to me, and I don't know how they get away with it. It's like they just pull portfolios out of a hat rather than give them to someone who might be qualified, and if they gently caress it up they just musical chairs them around a bit.

you don't want to give portfolios to someone with qualifications as they might actually do something, and in a modern representative democracy doing anything but upholding the status quo is considered to be extremely bad

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Solus posted:

It owns that the NZ SA Discord has been taken over by a deeply mentally unwell person that doesn’t even have an SA account

it is entirely appropriate for a goon endeavour, that being a complete failure

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
60% of the country screams bloody murder at anything that might dull the insane avarice of landlords because they all want to be landlords

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

"I've been out doing these tours because you actually get a chance to bypass media and actually talk straight to people, and it's really awesome,” Luxon said to cafe owner Cam, while surrounded by reporters and cameras the National Party invited.

Only talking to pre vetted small business owners who will complain about labour taxing them

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I think O'Neill is originally from Timaru, makes much more sense in this context

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Content to Hover posted:

I called it their major achievement. It gave them the first total majority under MMP, which could have been used to great positive effect if that had been their intention. Big changes require big spending, which means either cuts or taxes.

They are a caretaker government until National/ACT can actively make things worse, so I struggle to to see how "Labour's done well by this country the past 6 years."

You see voters rewarded labour with a historic majority to say well done for handling COVID, the voters didn't actually want labour to do anything other than miraculously solving all the cost of living issues without changing anything that affects them personally

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

I'm probably going against popular opinion here but A: you can't just breach a contract just because you feel like it, and B: some people are scared of dogs AND their boss and bring a dog into a workplace is just not acceptable especially if your the boss - of course all your workers are gonna be "oh yeah I like the dog".

gently caress landlords restrictions on pet ownership actually

The mayor isn't the boss of council workers, the CEO is

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Please contrast the number of Auckland council officers complaining anonymously about Wayne, vs the number of Wellington council officers complaining anonymously about a dog in the office, ie. None

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
All the other news is paywalled, and is also fascistic nonsense

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Bunnings dogs are good, never seen a bad Bunnings dog

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
i saw 42 new posts and assumed something interesting had happened, but no you fuckers are still talking about animals

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Throw landlords in the sea and take their houses surely?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I wonder how well Act and National will actually work together. David Seymour is a loving nut job and even someone like Luxton will be inwardly sighing and telling him to gently caress off with his ideas at some point.

Seymour is going to dictate policy to luxon and Willis because they're both airhead loving morons

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

I'll worry about foreign interference when we stop being a colony of the greatest and most evil empire earth has ever seen

The Dutch??

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
it's 2023 and utter smoothbrains still think there's reds under the bed

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Beartaco posted:

I assure you you can still vote for National, the party that has up until a few years ago placed members of the CCP as sitting MPs.

what communist agenda was the last national government undertaking

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The advanced form of Stockholm Syndrome is Auckland Disorder.

Many such terminal cases in this thread

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I'm of the opinion that they simply shouldn't have backed down from the concrete separators. Learn to loving drive you dopey morons.

Edit: I left this half formed. Backing down over cycle stuff has been a constant issue, see also all the Grey Lynn/Westmere bullshit. They need to make clearer to people that consultation isn't about putting in cycleways or not, they're coming, the consultation is your chance to tweak/edit the design. AT need to respond to criticism/complaints with evidence for why they're doing it this way or that way, of which there's usually plenty.

On the other hand, I'm not against dropping difficult projects and moving on to others with a friendlier welcome, in the short term at least, but those areas don't get to piss and moan about not getting infrastructure investment.

WCC provides like 300 pages of data, cost analysis etc for every tiny cycleway project

Every opposing submission says there's no data provided to support the idea of cycleways

Most recent one every submission, including lots of supporting submissions, complained about raised pedestrian crossings because they're not fun to drive or ride over lmao

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

I saw some thing that had what the various parties policies would do to the average tank of gas and greens were well above the rest for how much extra a tank would cost.

with interest rates idk either. conventional wisdom is to keep interest rates high to tackle inflation, but that sucks for obvious reasons

labour really have hosed themselves though. no way swing voters are going left lmao

Not sure why you think any nz government is going to be able to stop peak oil, aside from reducing the cost by a few cents in fuel levies

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

I saw some instagram post saying that poo poo is a whole lot worse now than for a long time

is it true that debt is at far more bogus levels than since covid

is it true that a huge portion of 15yos are cant write or read

I mean no judgement necessarily on who was in power when poo poo turned to poo poo, but.. hard to say that things are going well but what we need is more of the same???

You can vote for national, you don't have to do this annoying gimmick

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

the wage subsidy didn't transfer wealth to business owners

It did to all the small business owners who lied about having staff

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

how do i become shiny?

Shininess is proportional to your wealth and number of rental properties you own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The average boomer will receive more in super payments than they paid in taxes across their working life