Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
https://www.psa.org.nz/our-voice/wake-up-mr-brown-your-libraries-need-paid-librarians-psa/

Apparently Brown wants to have Auckland libraries staffed by volunteers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

I was trying to remember this oval office's name so I went to the national party website and holy poo poo how do they have so many MPs who look like their skin isn't properly attached to their skull

I don't find their names to be all that important.

It's not like you're going to find one that doesn't follow the tax-cut, service-cut, welfare-cut, tough-on-crime template.

The occasional pimp, perhaps.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No I mean you only hear lower taxes lower taxes lower taxes you never hear what the actual correct amount is

That's a good question.

One of the things I like about the Living Wage concept is that it's an actual measure of what it would cost for someone to work a standard full time job and not have to have a lovely life as a result.

There's probably a few similar calculations you could make for tax rates, although it would be significantly more complicated. You'd look at what acceptable targets were across all services, transport, health etc and look at the funding that would be required to meet those targets.

That would get difficult in getting agreement on what targets should be, and costing the solutions would probably involve spending money on designs that will never be implemented with the goal of working out what a theoretical tax rate should be.

That would actually be an incredibly valuable piece of information that could influence future policy decisions, but...
"lol, Labour's consultants and working groups, just bring back 3 strikes. I am very smart."

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Guess who and what

Duncan garner on losing his job

Turns out people are particular about the specific brand of horseshit they listen to.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Wellington trains at 50% for the next few weeks because Kiwirail have literally one car that checks the tracks and it broke down.

Cool.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

If anyone is interested RNZ mediawatch has a fairly good article on how quickly media have moved on from celebrating the law changes that allow kiwis to gain Australian citizenship to scaremongering about the possibility of an exodus.

Thanks NZ Media. This is because we haven't had to worry about talent migrating to Australia since 2001, right? Or are we more concerned about the slightest increase of pressure to compete with Australian wages and working conditions, you know, the ones above starvation level?

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

I mean the article points out that the country pretty much agrees with you on media.

If the media didn't take the time to focus on how terrible this could be, people might see it as a win for Labour in an election year. My pitch: if there is a mass exodus to Australia it will solve our housing crisis!

"No! More empty rentals will hurt Mum and Dad property investors! Why do you hate small business?"

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Also...

No! My bucket list item to stand in the middle of the road and take a photo.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 27, 2023

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't know there was a straight line in all of New Zealand, we put Lancre to shame.

The car addled would literally see nothing wrong with blasting an 800km, 12 lane hole through every hill and forest if it meant not having to wait for a passing lane.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Looking forward to the incoming hot takes on Damehood.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Besides our regularly scheduled vomiting and diahorrea, we are also in a recession.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Someone tell David Seymour's nephew to stop abusing gradient fill.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Beartaco posted:

you can't post this without sharing your dollar site op-eds, come on now.

Based on his posting history, he's obviously this man from the New Zealand initiative:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opinion-analysis/300832078/teachers-unions-arent-helping-our-best-teachers-get-the-pay-they-deserve

Although some of his posts lead me to believe he might be this guy:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/132389012/with-fuel-prices-set-to-soar-next-week-z-energys-boss-offers-his-view

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

let me tell you about horseshoe theory...

Stuff needs a way to "gas thread, ban OP"

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Looking forward to seeing the former chair of the food and grocery council take the supermarkets to task.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

I don't see this working because it involves the bond actually getting lodged.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Some people would actually prefer population caps before one red cent gets spent on a modern rail network.

Wellington Facebook Group posted:

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/300934025/kiri-allan-resigns-as-minister-charged-with-reckless-driving-and-resisting-arrest

In hindsight, she probably needed to leave earlier. Some mental health struggles take a lot more than a holiday to work through.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I would like to vote for this seal I found in Kaikoura last week.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
lovely OnePlus 6T camera.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
They're not even real libertarians.

Well, the cousin loving guy, sure, but the rest of them are just stock standard far right.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I've been too a few comedy nights. James Nokise is always pretty solid.

Ben Hurley didn't quite hit the mark,
"No one laughed at my climax joke."
I didn't realise he'd finished.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
The pro road argument comes from people that don't actually live in the cities and talk about urban planning and transit systems literally like they're culture war. One guy was arguing that Wainuiomata was going to be turned into a 15 minute city.

Firstly, stop threatening people with a good time.

Secondly, no they're not. There's not going to be a point where you can't move to the burbs and drive to wherever. It's urban planning, key word being urban. Personally I'd prefer if suburban sprawl was kept under control, but we already know that's not going to happen.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
It's been lovely in Porirua.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

exmarx posted:

extremely sinister vibe on this blackrock announcement lmao

Great, looking forward to them owning all the property.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
If we have to have Nact, please somehow make it so they also need Winnie. Mix a little comedy into the tragedy.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
It'll be at least two terms of Nact if they get in now, probably with more National seats in the second term. We'd have to see rioting in just about every region for a main party to get one-termed.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Labour/Green/TPM's best hope is National and ACT MPs loving up worse than Labour MPs. It's a high bar, but they're giving it a go.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

I think this is probably the most hosed up thing ACT have announced. I don't think even National would let this through tbh. It's so infuriating to see them get away with dropping policy like this completely unquestioned, but it was covered on 1news tonight like a loving press release for ACT. "ACT want us to be building houses at a rate not seen since the 1980s."

By allowing quality standards not seen since the 1990s.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
The young voter's debate is worth the watch.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm waiting to see if Chloe has another crack at him, he looks like he's about to cry.

Edit: I think he finished mid-stroke.
Edit Edit: I have been informed he does actually have facial paralysis from Bell's Palsy.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 25, 2023

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
It's almost like the work doesn't magically disappear when the person doing it does.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Might vote today. Feels more like damage control than anything.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Done, voted the Christmas colours.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

Black, red and white and green?

At least half of those.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I have never been prouder of my home province.
Get Coked Up, Smash the Ranfurly
Hawkes Bay represent!

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Grats on stopping 3 waters. Here's your 20% increase on rates.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

klen dool posted:

Right but they campaigned on doing that so their voters should already know and want that

They stopped listening after "we'll make fuel cheaper by..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Might get a road or two out of them perhaps. Some of the pro business stuff might generate some jobs but it would be difficult to weigh against the public sector losses.