Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The future owner of Hulu's assets is...
....the Walt Disney Company
....Comcast
....neither Disney nor Comcast
View Results

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In 2007, News Corporation and NBC Universal announced they were creating a new over-the-top streaming service called Hulu. Now, 16 years later, the future of the service is in question. What was once considered The alternative to Netflix has had its luster overshadowed by the modern streaming wars' shiny newness. In May of 2019, a clock began to tick, as it was announced that Comcast, the current minority partner, could sell its share to majority partner Disney five years hence. In the intervening years, both Disney+ and Peacock have launched, seemingly becoming the priority of both of Hulu's current ownership - both streamers have absorbed content from Hulu in the past few years. Reports paint a murky future with regards to who would own it - both sides look equally interested in buying and selling. Even after that, is there any demand for keeping it active? Hulu is only available in the United States (and Japan, but that's legally a different thing), while Disney+ and Peacock are worldwide (the latter as a combo with Paramount+ in some territories). There's also the question of what would happen to the various Hulu Originals if the service were to go under - for example, would the Handmaid's Tale, produced by MGM Television, move over to Prime Video or MGM+?

I pose to you, dear goon, the question the OP asks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You don't specify a timescale, so I voted Disney* who I believe will come to eventually own all entertainment IP. I think it still counts if some billionaire or trillionaire buys Disney on a whim and folds it into their missile polishing oil company or whatever.

Hulu is where I watch a lot of the kinda "normal" TV shows I would've watched on netflix, which was why they made it, and at this point would still be annoying if it went away, so I have to assume it will. Disney+ is really bad in the US, if you don't want to watch old Disney cartoons, don't care about MarvelStarWar, then it's basically just the site that has simpsons reruns (and bad versions at that?)

Would be nice if Hulu originals were given joint custody and available on many services if it dissolves, would be amazing if the opposite happens and everyone dogpiles onto netflix or hulu and knocks it off with this splinter poo poo. So I predict hulu content will be scattered to the wind, making it hard to know which show went where, with many others going nowhere or being disappeared in an unmarked van for a new tax scam.