Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
an entire valley of silicon????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

lobster shirt posted:

fdic only covers up to 250k. this is a lot for a person but not for a company.

which companies are large and connected enough to cause contagion risk but also still hold all their cash in a retail bank? it just doesn't make sense. the whole story sounds like one or two connected people might lose in the deal and they're trying to manufacture opinion to get the government to bail them out

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dreylad posted:

nah there's tons of weird finance regulation everyone's spent 20 years pretending doesn't exist or gets in the way of Innovation. like there are other deposit insurance schemes that cover past $250k apparently but this bank ignored them or actively lobbied against them

nice love it when that happens

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Y'all think boobs are great, but try changing "boobs" to "Hitlers".

Yeah not so great now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

get a load of this startup who can't handle 250k

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we know youre smythe

9/10 oracles at delphi agree

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Vomik posted:

which companies are large and connected enough to cause contagion risk but also still hold all their cash in a retail bank? it just doesn't make sense. the whole story sounds like one or two connected people might lose in the deal and they're trying to manufacture opinion to get the government to bail them out

well it offered commercial banking services which is why so many businesses had deposits there. given the amount of money it held im not sure retail bank is a very accurate descriptor.

at any rate all the creditors and investors are eating poo poo on this, as they should.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Vomik posted:

Roblox, apparently

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
On the one hand I'm a recently laid off programmer and this puts my ability to care for my family at risk, with a complete collapse of demand for my labor.

On the other, gently caress em lol. Silicon valley sucks poo poo and should burn

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vomik posted:

NGP VAN, the software company that runs the democrat party fundraising and compliance software lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Vomik posted:

vox, and roku

speng31b
May 8, 2010

found a bunch of 1/500 twitter threads about how this isn't just a "tech elite" problem and the real heartland americans who were impacted, click on their twitter bio and they are all building machine learning todo list apps

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

found a bunch of 1/500 twitter threads about how this isn't just a "tech elite" problem and the real heartland americans who were impacted, click on their twitter bio and they are all building machine learning todo list apps

is that the lady who's husband is a manufacturing exec?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

is that the lady who's husband is a manufacturing exec?

yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

NGP VAN, the software company that runs the democrat party fundraising and compliance software lmao

oh man been a long time since i read those letters

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/tlrdrkmrgn/status/1634768027697704960?s=20

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

just curious what happens if i post a really love tweet and how embeds handle it one sec

https://twitter.com/torrenegra/status/1634573234187407369

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

aw boo I was hoping it'd post a gazillion lines of text

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

bank being sad that the deregulations they lobbied for led to their collapse is just the latest episode of powerful people getting exactly what they wanted and being miserable because of it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vomik posted:

99% of the discourse is oligarchs putting their thumb on the scale of discourse like you said, but there's a lot of smaller startups that may get hosed over. seems like a lot of vc people insisted that startups keep their money in that bank as a condition for their funding. also just a lot of people who know a lot about mobile apps and sales pitch decks but nothing about banking risk/liability

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The federal government should bail out the banks to protect the job creators.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Crazypoops posted:

Y'all think boobs are great, but try changing "boobs" to "Hitlers".

Yeah not so great now.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
tech bros aren't real

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Farmers: Honest hard workers creating a product that nourishes my body and soul

SV Tech Bros: Lazy keyboard jockeys whose products are slowly giving me schizophrenia

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dog poo poo computer trash. just go watch ilsa she-wolf of the ss if you want ths type of content. idiot

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

1:30 PM: SVB is a solid bank. I know their CEO, Greg Becker. Great guy. I figure this is a temporary issue caused mainly by people panicking. They'll recover. I buy shares of SVB at what I consider significantly low prices.

Friday 7 AM: Wake up. Nothing. SVB stock is 60% down overnight.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
usually they are just normal lil nerds. or board game people

wish they were bros

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
also im starting to think ait might be a tech bro computer toucher guy

or... or maybe a project owner

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

Farmers: Honest hard workers creating a product that nourishes my body and soul

SV Tech Bros: Lazy keyboard jockeys whose products are slowly giving me schizophrenia

hello james harrington

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

In Training posted:

The federal government should bail out the banks to protect the job creators.

been sayin this

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

just curious what happens if i post a really love tweet and how embeds handle it one sec

https://twitter.com/torrenegra/status/1634573234187407369

sounds like he doesnt have to pay his mortgage anymore. Pretty sweet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lol her company deleted the pricing page on their website

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Smythe posted:

hello james harrington

I'm not sophisticated enough to get this joke but I take it the guy liked farmers

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cuttlefush posted:

also im starting to think ait might be a tech bro computer toucher guy

or... or maybe a project owner

He's a projection owner.

Al! posted:

an entire valley of silicon????

Yeah, your sand arse crack!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You coulda said Projectionist if you wanted to make that joke mate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though it sucks that there might be a subset of people who don't have a lot of money saved due to having incomes many times that of the average worker, it seems like the vast majority of companies that could go under from this are going to be "start-ups" that never should have existed in the first place (since most actual serious companies aren't going to be putting all their money in some retail bank like this).

It's basically like the people worrying about health insurance employees losing their jobs if our healthcare system were turned into a national or single-payer one. The answer isn't "we need to make sure all these start-ups can continue to exist in perpetuity to preserve the jobs of their employees" (especially when most of those employees are making way more money than the vast majority of Americans and/or chose their jobs because they wanted to ownership in the start-up). This is especially the case for tech stuff - there's a lot of work for that, even if it might be hard to find stuff paying the sort of inflated salaries many currently pay. If anything I'd have more sympathy for some random office worker at a health insurance company under the nationalization/single-payer scenario, since there probably isn't as much demand for those skills.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

I'm not sophisticated enough to get this joke but I take it the guy liked farmers

the little freak loved farmers and wanted the world to be ruled by an agrarian aristocracy. he also wrote a lot of other crazy and stupid rear end poo poo. thats the extent of my harrington knowledge at this time

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

ompanies that could go under

i'm afraid i've got some bad news

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

i'm afraid i've got some bad news

Yeah that's why I put "could" (since there's no way it's actually going to end up happening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
oh so you say you don't want us to spend money on bombs? You're so anti-worker, those Raytheon employees are counting on us murdering people overseas to feed their families, you monster