Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

??? The only thing FMLA does is require your employer to hold your job for you for up to 12 weeks of covered absence. There is no payment, any pay you get would come from pto or sick pay or whatever benefit arrangement your employer has with you.

Federal labor laws are much worse than you think!

Some states have their own FMLA rules and actually provide paid leave rather than unpaid. WA is one of those states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What the gently caress

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/NeerajKA/status/1780277197145526531

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

finally, Burghers for Burgers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SKULL.GIF posted:

Things that happen in a booming economy:

it's all those cheddar bay biscuits they just GIVE away

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My family adopted multiple pound dogs growing up so when I was finishing grad school I decided I was going to get a puppy. I was gonna be studying for five months anyway for boards so I’d have plenty of time to spend with one. I found a woman who wasn’t necessarily a breeder of aussies per se but had a bunch of puppies. Addie was 800 dollars which I never thought in my life I’d pay for a dog. She was the runt of the litter and both her parents are runts. She was the last one available and she immediately fell asleep in my arms. She was only seven weeks old.

It was the best decision I ever made in my life. She’s smart, playful, and cuddly. She’s completely tuned in to my moods and body language. She’s gorgeous and people stop me on the street to ask what kind of dog she is. I bring her to all the facilities I manage and patients love her.

In conclusion adopting dogs is a land of contrast.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Things that happen in a booming economy:

Premium consumer just wasn't strong enough.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

FizFashizzle posted:

My family adopted multiple pound dogs growing up so .

All dogs weigh multiple pounds

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Consolidated Ed posted:

i have the paid subscription version of acrobat for work stuff, and they keep trying to make me use their AI assistant. even if you turn it off, it still prompts you "try me try me hey try me!! dont you want ai???"

I really think we are close to going back to paper mail

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Lmao

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

:chord:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
here we go again

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

Washington state has actual family/medical leave

Yep. I get a little bit of money taken out of each paycheck by the state to cover paid leave in case I ever need it. It basically pays out while out for FMLA stuff.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

this is multiple half pounds

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Scarabrae posted:

the stock exchange in denmark burned down

Somebody didn't get the memo that they only allow smokeless tobacco in Copenhagen

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Dogs are not Number

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

2 half Os or 4 QPs

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Not dog

Six Republican governors are pushing back against the United Auto Workers’ big unionization drive in southern car factories. The governors of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas issued a joint statement Tuesday decrying the UAW’s push to represent autoworkers in their states.

“As governors, we have a responsibility to our constituents to speak up when we see special interests looking to come into our state and threaten our jobs and the values we live by,” they said.

The Values We Live By

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

the popes toes posted:

Not dog

Six Republican governors are pushing back against the United Auto Workers’ big unionization drive in southern car factories. The governors of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas issued a joint statement Tuesday decrying the UAW’s push to represent autoworkers in their states.

“As governors, we have a responsibility to our constituents to speak up when we see special interests looking to come into our state and threaten our jobs and the values we live by,” they said.

The Values We Live By

screwing over labor as much as possible is a value.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

the popes toes posted:

Not dog

The Values We Live By

more money for us. gently caress you.

the values in question

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Red lobster is proof you can make anything good with enough garlic, butter, and salt

tbf the French figured this out ages ago with escargot

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
to be fair:

Mustached Demon posted:

Red lobsterfrench cooking is proof you can make anything good with enough garlic, butter, and salt

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/daniel_foch/status/1780043508809711866

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

was expecting the gamecube tune

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
blue line about to start following that green line down to hell

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's kinda interesting that even with the fluctuations the best fit line for all three categories still mostly matches the steady 2015-2017 trend, but that's not, y'know, good or anything

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

this is most accurate

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

loquacius posted:

It's kinda interesting that even with the fluctuations the best fit line for all three categories still mostly matches the steady 2015-2017 trend, but that's not, y'know, good or anything

That trend line is basically the death of housing as a way for "average" Americans to build wealth.

It's consistent because housing has been really wildly unaffordable for a long time, with a small window post-2008 (that was definitely over by 2015) where buying in could be really advantageous if your finances weren't already actively on fire. The super low rates in 2020-21 didn't really change anything; they just made the situation marginally less bad (but still very bad) for new buyers.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Economy is Doing Great, why cant you realize that

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

post hole digger posted:

The Economy is Doing Great, why cant you realize that

exactly! green go down because everyone basically has a house now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's really funny how much buying around 2009-2012ish was basically like hitting the lottery.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Paradoxish posted:

It's really funny how much buying around 2009-2012ish was basically like hitting the lottery.

Back when tradework was cheaper too. Now everything house related costs a lot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

err posted:

Back when tradework was cheaper too. Now everything house related costs a lot.

basically just retracing the steps of pre-communist China where landlords increasingly owned the economy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

imagine if i had been smart enough to buy a house instead of going to college like an idiot, i'd basically be retired by now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
American Dream has slowly shifted into everyone dreaming about being a landlord one day, and the whole petit bougie class seeing themselves as temporary embarrassed landlords

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Nocturtle posted:

I was genuinely confused reading reports that the Disney+ streaming service was losing a lot of money. How could they possibly lose money streaming Disney content, they already made most of it decades ago. Maybe most people know already but this Forbes article explained it well, though they took way too many words when it was essentially:

As a lazy person this was exasperating to read. They could have made so much money if they just did nothing and let people pay them to stream their content.

lol that’s so much money

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mandel Brotset posted:

lol that’s so much money

mark zuckerborg lost like $100 billion dollars making Metaverse horizon world vrchat-clone because he watched a black mirror episode. no one cares, ALL TIME HIGHS! on facebook anyways

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i see things are going well for brexit. good, death to uk

quote:

School meals 'seen as somewhat of a luxury' https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c90zlgglx09o

A Birmingham school catering manager says a school meal has begun to be viewed as "somewhat of a luxury" as pupils across the West Midlands regularly go without.

School meals are funded by the government up to Year 2 but pupils are required to pay when they enter Year 3, although there are exemptions for some low-income families.

But figures from The Food Foundation suggest 66,000 children in the West Midlands are missing out on paid-for meals because despite their families struggling to meet the cost, they do not meet the threshold for free provision.

To address the issue, Matthew Knight, who runs the kitchen at Hillstone Primary School in Shard End, is calling for all children in the region up to the age of 11 to be given a free meal daily.

He said research had shown "consistently the health benefits of a healthy nutritious lunch".

He added that at Year 3 "we naturally see a drop off" with pupils having lunch, but with "the cost-of-living crisis, there's been a much bigger drop off".

"Anecdotally we know that parents are working two sometimes three jobs and unfortunately a school meal is seen as somewhat of a luxury, which we think is completely wrong."
'Little bit extra'

Mr Knight stated there was a "fantastically close community" at the school where staff looked after the children.

"Our supervisors know all the children, know the families and if they are struggling, then yes they do get a little bit extra," he said.

"We do seconds and things like that.

"Everybody has the right to a healthy start in life and also [to]... a healthy meal at lunchtime."

To highlight the issue, The Food Foundation has launched a campaign on buses in Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton.

Year 3 to Year 6 pupils from households in receipt of eligible benefits are entitled to free lunches under existing government rules.

Families need to inform schools whether they want their child or children to continue to receive them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

I tried to get something notarized at my local bank branch (a service they advertised having) and they pretty much treated me like a homeless guy that wandered in there and acted like I was crazy for expecting a notary to be there.

lol this happened to me and my mom trying to get a like respectably large transfer of some money in some weird charles schwab thing to b of a. we made the appointment and eveything, and then went to the Big Branch with the big vault and such for the appointment. anyways the notary wasnt there and they seemed displeased at our presence. ended up going to some hosed up poverty mode notary public + po box place in a strip mall.