Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So if Iran decides to retaliate, is Big Daddy US gonna step in to ensure Israel faces no consequences for its actions again? Because it's hard to see how this situation ever deescalates when Israel can just strike Iran with impunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

So if Iran decides to retaliate, is Big Daddy US gonna step in to ensure Israel faces no consequences for its actions again? Because it's hard to see how this situation ever deescalates when Israel can just strike Iran with impunity.

This is the worst loving military alliance in history and we need to expel AIPAC from the country posthaste.

Just complete garbage through and through. Nazi state propped up by an actual evil empire. Cartoonish

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Paradoxish posted:

the only way US steps in is by helping shoot down iranian missiles/drones like they did last week

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That was literally what I was referring to

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/status/1781148681057755260

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mandoric posted:

There's a good argument to be made that actually "a 1950s double-wide whose design lifespan ended in 1972, planted and it'll shake itself apart if you try to move it in an area that has been blighted since when the factories nearby picked up and moved to the new hotness of Cincinnati" is not actually useful housing.

Doesn't make new construction for the hell of it, no other restrictions in fact remove all the other restrictions, a good idea, but flat "there are empty house fill them" works out just as dumb.

also none of these empty houses are near jobs

they're all in little dying towns or out in the middle of nowhere lol

there are certainly not "more empty houses than homeless people" in, say, the chicago metro area

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Paradoxish posted:

It can only get worse from here. There is a good chance isreal struck or tried striking Iranian nuclear facilities and supposedly the Iran IRGC said they will now strike isreal's nuclear sites. Idk if any of that has been confirmed, bit very !!!!! If true

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feels bad

Feels really bad

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1780992212098007444

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there are certainly not "more empty houses than homeless people" in, say, the chicago metro area
yep. also just as much as there's induced demand, there's a thing called suppressed demand as well. that's quite important. saying there's "plenty to go around" is lol. there's definitely a big stack in good areas taken up by airbnb and vacation houses/property-squat-tax-evasion, but it's not the end-all-be-all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kreeblah posted:

Well, authorized generics are when the original drug company with the patent takes product off the manufacturing line, slaps a different company label on it, and sells it for less. Also, you can't use manufacturer's coupons, so they might actually cost more to the patient than the original brand name's poo poo depending on how your insurance works.

This is all so stupid.
another bad thing about so-called "generics" is when they just change inactives or some slight tweaks to active for patent-reasons and call it a new-but-same-equivalent and it just shipped out to the shelves because ""in theory through scientism it's the same ergo..."

but it's not. there can often be wildly different (and sometimes dangerous) effects and interactions with so-called "its totally the same bro" equivalents

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

definitely take the us at their word at only stepping in "defensively" lmbo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Feels bad

Feels really bad

Look, on one hand, WW3 feels bad. On the other hand, chaos reigns supreme. Who's to say what's bad or good anymore???

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

definitely take the us at their word at only stepping in "defensively" lmbo

https://twitter.com/Aldanmarki/stat...ingawful.com%2F

:stoked: 4 WW3

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i just hope the money will be okay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i just hope the money will be okay

i put all my 401k and savings into raytheon, lockheed, boeing, gen dynamics. all time highs!!. money ftw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Feels bad

Feels really bad

Remember literally the entire planet is moving to try to force this into not mattering

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

I’ve recently become fascinated by an ancient family of hairstyles called mullets.

please this thread can only handle one poster who is obsessed with history and uses ai to post about it

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember literally the entire planet is moving to try to force this into not mattering

Yeah don't worry, this random shooting in Belgrade will blow over.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Finally, the end of history

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah saying "there are more empty homes than homeless" is just the other side of "wow just move somewhere cheaper if you can't afford to live here, you're not entitled to live here"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

lmao this would be like publishing a study about how america is the best prepared for a pandemic country in the world, using 2019 data. In the year 2024.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, this’ll be just another crisis in the rearview mirror. this is an official goon prediction

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

There are empty houses near downtown Houston with squatters. And more power to them. It's the property owners fault for leaving the land fallow for years.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shipon posted:

yeah saying "there are more empty homes than homeless" is just the other side of "wow just move somewhere cheaper if you can't afford to live here, you're not entitled to live here"

Lol gently caress you dude go yimby some more property into private equity ownership

You can't build housing to fix the problem unless it's accompanied by decommodification

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

i love that this is basically the dril candles meme,

if housing wasn't destroying people's budgets they could happily spend hundreds of dollars a month on pointless luxuries
To be uncharitably fair to this sort of reactionary nonsense my current job is basically full of these people. Like it's not unreasonable to say a six figure job today doesn't go as far as it has in the past but if you've been working said 6 figgy job for the last decade there's no reason you shouldn't already be locked into the sweet golden ticket low rate reasonably priced home in my area. But it's a conservative local and everyone in these nice jobs has had shiny new trucks, boats and campers they take out a couple of times per year, and I can say without huge statistical insight waste at least 20-30grand a year because I know from casual conversations they aren't even close to slamming the max on retirement options.

And it's not even really difficult to see how they got there, average modern truck payments are like 800-1k/mo, so that's already low 5 figs, add in a bad loan on a boat or rv to close to match that, gotta have a justification for the commuter truck of course. Combine with just day to day convenience stuff that can't really be faulted on an individual basis but ends up being a ton when it's just a constant daily treat and it's not hard to burn through a wage that should otherwise be good income.

I work largely with people who've been "in the industry" for a depressing amount of time and they all make it seem like it's impossible to retire even with such a cushy job but legit they could have just not been bad with money for their previous 3 decades and they'd be golden.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's easy just be really good and focus on your 401k for 30+ years and you're set!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Asproigerosis posted:

It's easy just be really good and focus on your 401k for 30+ years and you're set!

For the people who are approaching retirement today, yeah that woulda played out if they had a job that could have afforded it. Can't say the same will be true for us regardless of whether or not we try.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
ah, yes. I've lived my entire millennial adult life under the assumption I'll never be able to retire anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

prediction was wrong, burger and fries is now $36

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bern_identity/status/1781180969090953434

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Asproigerosis posted:

ah, yes. I've lived my entire millennial adult life under the assumption I'll never be able to retire anyway.

I'll probably have enough stashed away to live for like a decade or so but when that runs out I'm ODing on heroin.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

another bad thing about so-called "generics" is when they just change inactives or some slight tweaks to active for patent-reasons and call it a new-but-same-equivalent and it just shipped out to the shelves because ""in theory through scientism it's the same ergo..."

but it's not. there can often be wildly different (and sometimes dangerous) effects and interactions with so-called "its totally the same bro" equivalents

Yeah, I found that out a long time ago when I got severe hives from one formulation of a med but no negative effects from another. Meanwhile, trying to communicate that to anybody just results in them putting the active ingredient into the EMR for me because they have no mechanism to note an allergy to a specific formulation of a medication.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

fits my needs posted:

so like, i somehow got an unannounced 27.7% raise a month ago and no ones said anything about it?
like, my boss hasnt said anything and usually the raises are like 2-3% a year? did someone at HR gently caress up the decimal?

HR goons?

No you didn't.

And if you did, you didn't notice

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not sure the US actually has the capacity to stop an Iranian counter-strike that isn't pulling punches. They were already getting missiles through with their warning shot.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

sung to the tune of one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Here is what you do:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1781218420668674147
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1781218495612506405
*pounding table like a 3 year old* RATE CUTS RATE CUTS

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fits my needs posted:

so like, i somehow got an unannounced 27.7% raise a month ago and no ones said anything about it?
like, my boss hasnt said anything and usually the raises are like 2-3% a year? did someone at HR gently caress up the decimal?

HR goons?

FlapYoJacks posted:

Here is what you do:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
once had a friend who had it the other way and they gave him a .277% raise which they refused to fix lol, so he quit. They tried to beg him back while they clearly were going to train/cert the replacement so he quoted like 5x salary but they didn't take the bait alas