Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

err posted:

NVDA down 10% today now.

did some news or financial report come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Popoto posted:

it’s very saddening. but I’m sure one day there’s gonna be a MySpace->FB moment with Google->?

ive already bailed out of chrome (because theyre about to wreck ublock) and google search (because it sucks rear end now)

im still using gmail etc but im sure the day is coming when those basics are going to be totally hosed too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

sentiment+order flow driven hft algo bots dumping. also it was super overbought for the same amplification factors

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Feels bad

Feels really bad

Yea, they have no right to respond to our violence!!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

no need to celebrate until poo poo & piss goes below 4,000 imho

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

ive already bailed out of chrome (because theyre about to wreck ublock) and google search (because it sucks rear end now)

im still using gmail etc but im sure the day is coming when those basics are going to be totally hosed too

It's wierd to realize that someday a @gmail.com address might be like having an @yahoo.com or at @aol.com address.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what wrong with yahoo.com addresses ???

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

euphronius posted:

what wrong with yahoo.com addresses ???

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

apparently the bill also includes the act to seize russian assets good stuff very smart idea

Ukrainian democracy has FINALLY arrived!1!1!:unsmigghh:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Some guy self immolated in front of the nyc court house and his manifesto was centered around cryptocurrency being an economic doomsday device.

what a day

https://www.newsweek.com/read-max-azzarello-manifesto-about-lighting-himself-fire-trump-trial-1892368

Everybody is doing it! The hot new fad!

This is why you don't self-immolate, kids. Your noble and serious cause will be shortly followed by just another conspiracy theorist

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

silicone thrills posted:

Some guy self immolated in front of the nyc court house and his manifesto was centered around cryptocurrency being an economic doomsday device.

what a day

https://www.newsweek.com/read-max-azzarello-manifesto-about-lighting-himself-fire-trump-trial-1892368

quote:

This is our rotten farce: For our entire lives, we have been ooded with media designed
to slowly steer us into a world where the American Dream was dead, where the public
was fully divided against itself, where everybody believed we were powerless to do
anything about our worsening circumstances. It is all so they can organize an
unprecedented, apocalyptic rug pull on the entire populace as they pivot to fascism,
which is perhaps best understood as kleptocracy at the barrel of a gun.

When we piece it all together, we understand the truth: We are in a totalitarian
doomsday cult.

Why on earth would our elites do this? There are many reasons, but the simplest is
because capitalism is unsustainable, and they knew it: Climate change and resource
extraction would catch up eventually. So, they never intended to sustain it. They knew
all along that they would gobble up all the wealth they could, and then yank the rug out
from under us so they could pivot to a hellish fascist dystopia.

I wonder what his cspam username was.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Everybody is doing it! The hot new fad!

This is why you don't self-immolate, kids. Your noble and serious cause will be shortly followed by just another conspiracy theorist

Still odd how no one was mad at Wynn Bruce for his immolation but people were REALLY MAD about Bushnell. Poked around blue sky a bit and there's people talking about how terrible Bushnell was for it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1781322931928281148

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Popoto posted:

won't be for long with this kind of CEO

i'm unemployed and went to check our their jobs the other day and saw this

we don't know what we're doing, you'll work overtime everyday, but at least we won't pay you poo poo!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

when I first saw this story I thought 3k-4k cybertrucks was a fraction, but I guess that’s all of them

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

triple sulk posted:

Tsmc saying the AI boom isn't as big for chips as Nvidia says it is or something

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
JOB DESCRIPTION: You will work a lot.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Thoguh posted:

It's wierd to realize that someday a @gmail.com address might be like having an @yahoo.com or at @aol.com address.

I still have a Hotmail address that I check sometimes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

nvidia is down 8% and down 12% in the last 30 days. AMD down almost 20% in the last month.

AI boom over?!

Everybody who owned stock is selling and becoming instant millionaires, they will buy back now as it's a good time to BUY.

AI is going to change everything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thoguh posted:

"might"

its probably 2-5 years away max

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Oldest Man posted:

"might"

its probably 2-5 years away max

depends on how fast google shoots themselves. even i, a fairly fast adopter and google hater, moved very quickly off chrome/gsearch/etc several years ago but still have a gmail despite setting up a proton account. i'm just too lazy to change all my account addresses and all my 2FA/MFA.

if google starts pouring gasoline on themselves, i'll definitely on bunkering down swapping over all my accounts but until then, it's going to be awhile before I get around to it

Morbus
May 18, 2004

err posted:

NVDA down 10% today now.

better buy the dip

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

American Dream has slowly shifted into everyone dreaming about being a landlord one day, and the whole petit bougie class seeing themselves as temporary embarrassed landlords

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

lmao

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

my house in pittsburgh in college was $2500 for 7 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3 kitchens, and 2 living rooms, wtf happened there?

Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

my house in pittsburgh in college was $2500 for 7 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3 kitchens, and 2 living rooms, wtf happened there?

Infinite free money for the investor class for a decade

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

captainbananas posted:

Lets look, lets look at northern california you understand it yeah? ...something about san francisco... but it isn't just down in the ratty part of town, but the upper class in san francisco is that way. Now bohemian grove that I attend from time to time ... something about the others that come there... but it is the most faggy god dammed thing you could ever imagine. that san francisco crowd that goes in there, its just terrible! I mean, I wont shake hands with anybody from san francisco.

to the poster who reported this post: it's a Richard Nixon quote

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

to the poster who reported this post: it's a Richard Nixon quote

Lmfao

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
it’s actually a Barack Obama quote

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I didn't see it in quotes or quotes so it can't be

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nothus posted:

I wonder what his cspam username was.

fire guy seemed obsessed with the idea that cryptocurrency is the backbone of the global economy and it was only besmirched by the elites using it as a tool against the masses. Covid was merely a plot to hide the fact they were secretly taking their profits out of bitcoin and all of the profits they took out of bitcoin caused all of the global inflation

I'm thinking redditor

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
it was in dreams of my father

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

captainbananas posted:

Lets look, lets look at northern california you understand it yeah? ...something about san francisco... but it isn't just down in the ratty part of town, but the upper class in san francisco is that way. Now bohemian grove that I attend from time to time ... something about the others that come there... but it is the most faggy god dammed thing you could ever imagine. that san francisco crowd that goes in there, its just terrible! I mean, I wont shake hands with anybody from san francisco.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ERs are unprofitable, that's why UCs are being pushed. The real profitable poo poo for hospitals is cosmetic stuff, fertility treatments, etc and the for-profit hospitals would get out of the emergency medicine business entirely if they could.

Are hip & knee replacements lucrative for providers? Because like half a quarter of the boomers I know have gotten one or the other (or both) within a year of going on Medicare & having gap plans.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Willa Rogers posted:

Are hip & knee replacements lucrative for providers? Because like half a quarter of the boomers I know have gotten one or the other (or both) within a year of going on Medicare & having gap plans.

Yeah they make a ton of money. Stopping doing stuff like that is part of why COVID was so hard on hospital finances, elective surgeries like that bill a ton and also tend to not occupy a bed long.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

The Oldest Man posted:

by 2050 every western country is going to become a neoliberal hellhole like the US and the US is probably going back to a plantation economy

yep. tax breaks and straight up wealth transfers for the rich, austerity for everyone else. jupiter's already doing it in france, and the uk is basically there already. they're gonna privatize the nhs for sure, too much money to be made.

US will go back to the 19th century lol no labor protections, no unions, women have no rights, being gay or trans will be illegal, birth control illegal, "unserious" religions illegal or marginalized.

kinda surprised businesses arent already legally allowed to claw back or withhold payroll for "organizational losses". not the lovely stuff they can already do, i mean like "we deducted 15% from everyone's paychecks this cycle to make up for an unexpected loss of revenue".

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

As far as I know yes, specialty surgeries are a big profit center. Covid was unprofitable for the for-profit hospitals because they prefer to have those icu beds taken up by patients getting high dollar procedures, not people they can’t do much more than charge for vent management until they die.

E: Whoops, already covered

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

Bone surgeries have advanced quite a bit in the past few decades to the point where they are easier and less destructive but are still some of the most expensive things you can get so I think this is probably the case.

For example my father refused a spine fusion in the 90s due to the potential complications and effects of the surgery. This whole loving movie style thing with the spine being exposed from the back and carved up. It was extremely involved, took forever and took a shitload of extra healthcare, therapy and aftercare.

I checked in for my cervical spine fusion at 8:00AM and was home by 4:00PM. Small cut on my throat and a neck brace. They still charged me a trillion dollars for it. So if all of these bone surgeries are becoming quick and easy then the profit motive is to knock as many of them out as possible.

I think total knee replacements have moved from cutting huge chunks of bone above/below the knee that get replaced with prosthetic bones to more modern techniques like just replacing the wear parts/kneecaps with metal and plastic. This can be done relatively quickly and easily in minimally invasive surgery and you can charge people $100,000+ for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah they make a ton of money. Stopping doing stuff like that is part of why COVID was so hard on hospital finances, elective surgeries like that bill a ton and also tend to not occupy a bed long.

my pcp wanted me to get a bone scan even though I've never had hip or knee problems except maybe 2x/year for a couple hours at a time my knee hurts when it's cold & rainy.

it's nothing that naproxen doesn't fix & meanwhile everyone I know who's gotten joint replacements has had a long time recovering & sometimes were shunted to crappy "rehab" places.

someone I know had her replacement hip come out of its socket 1.5 years after the original surgery & is now bedridden for six weeks after having the surgery a second time.