Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

ended up going to some hosed up poverty mode notary public + po box place in a strip mall.

ive never had to get anything notorized but i cant imagine there's really any profit in it considering how many of these there are. maybe its like gas stations where the gas is just to get people to go into the convenience store to buy $19.99 slim jims marked up a zillion percent but for massages or happy endings??

also every single "WE NOTORIZE" sign in store windows seems like it was last printed in 1989

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dire

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

ive never had to get anything notorized but i cant imagine there's really any profit in it considering how many of these there are. maybe its like gas stations where the gas is just to get people to go into the convenience store to buy $19.99 slim jims marked up a zillion percent but for massages or happy endings??

also every single "WE NOTORIZE" sign in store windows seems like it was last printed in 1989

they sell beautiful stationary ... for your precious notes

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do yall not have jobs? There's probably like 20 people in HR that you can go to be like hey can you jotarize a thing for me real quick thanks boss.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

lol this happened to me and my mom trying to get a like respectably large transfer of some money in some weird charles schwab thing to b of a. we made the appointment and eveything, and then went to the Big Branch with the big vault and such for the appointment. anyways the notary wasnt there and they seemed displeased at our presence. ended up going to some hosed up poverty mode notary public + po box place in a strip mall.

same here, from back when i still used retail banks (credit unions ftw) i had the same thing happen

ended up having to go to a grocery store that had a notory in there

Xaris posted:

i'm not sure what they charge these days but the last time i used one it was like $20 for 5 minutes of paperwork and seemed to be a job exclusively done by elderly ladies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I think corporations might be getting too big

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

i see things are going well for brexit. good, death to uk

Gotta means test the heck out of our dangerously generous "food for schoolchildren" policy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do you think if we let the corporations own fiefdoms we could have some home ownership, as a treat?

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

Everytime I read this thread I keep hoping someone is going to tell me the cheat code to doing better than my starting point of broke and no established career.

The only things I’ve got going for me is I have a useless bachelors from a state school and I have started the process of trying to get EU residency by descent, but I assume if it ever comes through it’ll be useless because their job market is even worse than California’s and I apparently have no hope as a foreigner who doesn’t speak the language. It’s still worth trying because they have more affordable housing and better healthcare than I have now. I don’t have the skills or the resume to get a remote job, but I think that’s probably the best way to make that move work if the paperwork ever comes through. I kind of want to get into tech or IT but with my experience of being ignored by the job market it’s hard to imagine gambling 5 figures on a coding boot camp or whatever, if I could even borrow the money. I daydream about maybe starting a business but without a pile of money and a credible business plan, I don’t think that’s likely either. I wasted more than a decade on my parents business that they didn’t want to succeed, more recently I’ve worked in foodservice, I had a job mowing grass around power poles, and I was a medical courier.

Maybe getting a good job is a function of who you know, I don’t know anyone.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Death of Innocence posted:

Maybe getting a good job is a function of who you know, I don’t know anyone.

you're looking in the wrong thread for cheat codes. others have those. the trick is to outlive everyone else, not out-earn them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Asproigerosis posted:

Do you think if we let the corporations own fiefdoms we could have some home ownership, as a treat?
no, shelter will be part of compensation

you will be born in the Corporate Arcology, attain corporate citizenship by signing up for 50 years of service, and will be retired into the Elder Slums at age 60

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you will be born in the Corporate Arcology, attain corporate citizenship by signing up for 50 years of service, and will be retired into the Elder Slums at age 60

hey you get retirement, that's more than most can say now

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Goa Tse-tung posted:

guaranteed retirement with full pension by 60?!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

won’t be too long that the state retirement age and life expectancy lines will cross, as bismarck intended

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We're not actually getting corporate fiefdoms because lol corporate overlords are neither willing nor able to actually put the effort or resources into running a functional society. Fordlandia is like the absolute best case scenario of how that shakes out.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this is a stupid question, but What Is To Be Done about call centers, virtual personal assistants, and other forms of labor-only outsourcing? It's not like immigration because you cannot clamp down on it on the one end, but neither can you organize around it because it's all just people thousands of miles away sitting in their homes.

is there such a thing as tariffs or protectionism against people Zoom-ing in from overseas?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Asproigerosis posted:

Do yall not have jobs? There's probably like 20 people in HR that you can go to be like hey can you jotarize a thing for me real quick thanks boss.

Some of us work at companies where the HR positions have been moved overseas.

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is a stupid question, but What Is To Be Done about call centers, virtual personal assistants, and other forms of labor-only outsourcing? It's not like immigration because you cannot clamp down on it on the one end, but neither can you organize around it because it's all just people thousands of miles away sitting in their homes.

is there such a thing as tariffs or protectionism against people Zoom-ing in from overseas?

Yeah, tariffs could theoretically be a thing, but you'd be relying on companies being honest about where they're sourcing their labor from, and loving :lol: at that.

Only way I could see it working is absolutely punishing fines (like, $10,000,000 per incident) along with with protecting reporters' identities and a 50/50 split on the payout between the reporter and the government. Obviously, none of that's ever happening.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Asproigerosis posted:

guaranteed retirement with full pension by 60?!

thank u, I def should have typed "retired"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

cut the cables

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

POV visiting grandfather pops in the elder slums

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://twitter.com/tobi/status/1780383239796126163

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
oh god it’s like paying taxes when you work for a living that’s crazy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was thinking about getting rich but then I heard about capital gains taxes and ehhhh I dunno if it's worth it, I'll just stay poor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

God drat this joke hits hard in 2024 lol

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nocturtle posted:

As a lazy person this was exasperating to read. They could have made so much money if they just did nothing and let people pay them to stream their content.
As much as I continue to subscribe to it almost entirely for the Star Wars, that they continue to be hell-bent on their post-Lucas plan to "maximize revenue from the purchase" with so much new content is mindboggling.

I have liked/loved all of their new Star Wars shows on D+ but I'd be completely satisfied with maybe even a third of the output and/or more animated (thus cheaper to produce) leaning like the Bad Batch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lawyers all have notaries or are notaries so just ask your lawyer next time

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

is there any law that says a dog can’t be a notary public?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cool av posted:

is there any law that says a dog can’t be a notary public?

i mean if a lawyer can do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you have to be able to write so .

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
dont they just have to sign stuff? surely a paw print or putting some food dye in the dogs mouth and letting it slobber a little would suffice

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

swamp thong posted:

dont they just have to sign stuff? surely a paw print or putting some food dye in the dogs mouth and letting it slobber a little would suffice

Most judges would agree with you

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/JeffWeniger/status/1780385434574684454

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

broke rear end euros complaining instead of ORGANIZING FOR BETTER WAGES

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Well there's the obvious question about CoL so I picked the "worst" country on that graph.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Japan: Rent in Japan is, on average, 67.2% lower than in United States.

So let's take that 77k and mulltiply it by 33%. You get a bit under 25.5k, which means the money is effectively worth less than the 28k.

There ya go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wonder what the median wages are

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Isn't this graph almost entirely explained by taxes for public services, cost of living, on top of relative euro value?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

DemihumanResources posted:

Isn't this graph almost entirely explained by taxes for public services, cost of living, on top of relative euro value?

edit: and

euphronius posted:

Wonder what the median wages are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also looks like exchange rate fuckery