Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nodelphi posted:

The FDA has been gutted and compromised now so there really aren’t many guardrails left.

That's true, but the study you linked to is Japanese, and GLP-1 agonists have been approved by pretty much every global regulatory body for at least diabetes, if not weight loss. Diabetes and obesity also have relatively high all-cause mortality risks, so the issue is many of these unpleasant, undesirable side effects may still be "worth" the trade off within a population.

on the flip side, GLP-1 agonists have been shown to halt the progression of early stage parkinsons.

very interesting drug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Nodelphi posted:

Speaking of number going down.

It’s looking like ozempic causes a 260% increase in deep vein thrombosis rates among diabetics, the primary group it’s being prescribed for.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/endocrj/68/6/68_EJ21-0129/_html/

More studies are being done so there’s going to be a lag before they pull it but I’d say if we were in the pre-Covid world, Ozempic would definitely get pulled.

That might not be the case anymore, however. I can’t state enough how Trump’s waiving of vaccine safety measures fundamentally changed the paradigm in getting and keeping profitable meds on the market.

I was part of the group that broke the news on the problems with COX-2 inhibitors back in the day and even then there was tremendous corporate pressure to find in favor of the drug company. (They offered funding and future jobs to the grad students who were only making $25k/yr at the time.) One of the major factors in keeping that analysis on course was knowing federal oversight would be there to double check the data. The FDA has been gutted and compromised now so there really aren’t many guardrails left.

I mean of Ozempic helps you reach a healthy weight and if you are able to make lifestyle adjustments to diet and exercise after reaching your target weight BMI of 25 or less wouldn’t that be better overall?

The problem of course is no one actually making any lifestyle changes when they wean off the drug

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah but computer touchers are losing weight so it must be good

My real fear is people will learn the wrong lesson and become more sedentary while taking the medication which will further increase risk of a blood clot.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Also Vioxx was a wonderful anti inflammatory and the hysteria at the time made it sound like you would get a heart attack if you took it, very sad

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nodelphi posted:

My real fear is people will learn the wrong lesson and become more sedentary while taking the medication which will further increase risk of a blood clot.

What if we just cut off everyone’s legs who are on that drug? No legs, means no leg clots can form, they have an excuse for why they can’t exercise, and they lose some extra weight. It’s wins all around.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Nodelphi posted:

ding ding, I agree most are able to lose weight due to the shear massive reduction in calories and then choose not to exercise at all because well I’m losing weight so EZ

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Scarabrae posted:

The problem of course is no one actually making any lifestyle changes when they wean off the drug

well yeah capitalism is still the underlying mode of production

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I would hate for a incredibly useful drug to be pulled because of a bunch of bad actors, it’s like not letting anyone chew gum in class

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Scarabrae posted:

Also Vioxx was a wonderful anti inflammatory and the hysteria at the time made it sound like you would get a heart attack if you took it, very sad

Oh agreed, the media blew up the risks disproportionately at the time. You're absolutely right that the end result stunted the use and development of the drug when the intention was just to further investigate potential problems with the drug.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

combining lifestyle changes and actual exercise/eating well with the drug would be the actual way to do it but no-body will and you're going to get tons of problems down the road prob

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

HallelujahLee posted:

combining lifestyle changes and actual exercise/eating well with the drug would be the actual way to do it but no-body will and you're going to get tons of problems down the road prob

In a country with proper healthcare and public option for insurance I would like to see people have to check in with a nutritionist to start building those skills when its time to go off the medicine but alas

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

webcams for christ posted:

That's true, but the study you linked to is Japanese, and GLP-1 agonists have been approved by pretty much every global regulatory body for at least diabetes, if not weight loss. Diabetes and obesity also have relatively high all-cause mortality risks, so the issue is many of these unpleasant, undesirable side effects may still be "worth" the trade off within a population.

on the flip side, GLP-1 agonists have been shown to halt the progression of early stage parkinsons.

very interesting drug!

Parkinson's is a topic near and dear to my heart, the problem is there seem to be so many drugs which have at least some effect on mitigating an aspect of the disease. I think the problem lies in the root cause of parkinsonisms are poorly understood and likely multi factorial.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Scarabrae posted:

In a country with proper healthcare and public option for insurance I would like to see people have to check in with a nutritionist to start building those skills when its time to go off the medicine but alas

capitalism.txt

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

some good news for a change

sean fain is the real deal

https://x.com/uaw/status/1781511699947831311

The TN government is going to punish VW so much for this it's going to end up with the plant closing. The governor is frothing at the mouth with union hate.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

Now they can cram in double the amount of computer toucher. :hai:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My job is all google workspace and it's a loving nightmare

I have fought tooth and nail to migrate us off Google Workspace and my efforts have finally succeeded. We'll be dropping Google in August. Google is good for one thing and that's their shared docs ability and collaboration on spreadsheets.

Most users are still gonna end up with the browser version of apps though lol PE backed and they won't spend the money for E3 licenses for everyone

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Scarabrae posted:

I mean of Ozempic helps you reach a healthy weight and if you are able to make lifestyle adjustments to diet and exercise after reaching your target weight BMI of 25 or less wouldn’t that be better overall?

I saw a friend recently who's an MD in New Orleans and said he's seeing people think they can double down on terrible eating habits because ozempic will take care of it and they're actually gaining weight on a month-over-month basis.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

Possible side effects include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, indigestion/heartburn, dizziness, abdominal distension, belching, hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) in people with type 2 diabetes, flatulence, gastroenteritis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).[15] It can also cause pancreatitis, gastroparesis, and bowel obstruction.[35]

The US FDA label for semaglutide contains a boxed warning for thyroid C-cell tumors in rodents.[13][14][15][25] It is unknown whether semaglutide causes thyroid C-cell tumors, including medullary thyroid carcinoma, in humans.[13][14][15][25][36]

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

fat computer touchers are all that remains of america's middle class. we must make them svelte and sexy

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DaysBefore posted:

Computer touchers work 2 hour days and spend the remainder of their time riding $10,000 bicycles and discussing whats better, kubetnetes or docker. They're already 150 lbs.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

love recommending Personal Responsibility to alleviate Structural Problems in the economics thread

anyway how about this for a hot take:

electric cars : vehicle emissions :: glp-1 agonists : obesity prevalence

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Computer touchers work 2 hour days and spend the remainder of their time riding $10,000 bicycles and discussing whats better, kubetnetes or docker. They're already 150 lbs.

:lol: where do you people get this from?

i mean you guys are very clearly just confusing Tech Support with stock standard CTOs or something:v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

True Computer Touchers can buy land and Teslas

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The term "computer toucher" has taken on significance far beyond its literal definition

I remember a GBS thread where people were posting one of those overpriced cereal bar places as an example of a tech company and got mad when I said it wasn't

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It’s GBS

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

docker sucks. kubetneses for the win.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Scarabrae posted:

The massive failure rate of of long-term weight loss means that a drug that acts as an appetite suppressant will probably never work as something that you can eventually wean people off of, at least not if there aren't some magical properties that allow it to keep working after you stop taking it. You either keep people on the drug forever or you treat it as an emergency intervention to bring someone's weight down, but I'm honestly not sure that you can "learn better habits" or whatever dumb bullshit when you're literally removing the urge to do the thing.

There are clearly structural and environmental reasons for why successful long-term weight loss is so horrifically uncommon and I don't know how you ever fix it without properly identifying and resolving those causes first.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It’s cars

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

The massive failure rate of of long-term weight loss means that a drug that acts as an appetite suppressant will probably never work as something that you can eventually wean people off of, at least not if there aren't some magical properties that allow it to keep working after you stop taking it. You either keep people on the drug forever or you treat it as an emergency intervention to bring someone's weight down, but I'm honestly not sure that you can "learn better habits" or whatever dumb bullshit when you're literally removing the urge to do the thing.

There are clearly structural and environmental reasons for why successful long-term weight loss is so horrifically uncommon and I don't know how you ever fix it without properly identifying and resolving those causes first.

the cause is capitalist food companies using science to make food super addictive, see samoa for the endgame of it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol @ everyone itt hand wringing that fat people might lose weight without suffering enough

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
It’s the poop. I have no doubt that we’ll eventually find out that at least half of weight differences can be explained by GI functionality differences.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spiritual bypass posted:

lol @ everyone itt hand wringing that fat people might lose weight without suffering enough

There's also a lot of people mad that the weight loss drug that works costs $1,000/mo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, my bigger issue is that there is going to be absolutely no cultural shift away from "lol you're fat because you're dumb and lazy" even as the correlation between obesity and poverty approaches 1.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Salt Fish posted:

this person is actually pretty right. They're describing silicon valley prestige tech but they are right. There is pressure to be healthy and it can easily affect your professional career to be too overweight.

There are people who buck the trend of course, and obviously the IT dudes are gonna be fat for whatever reason. But when I worked in the valley it was very rare to work with anyone more than, like "kinda pudgy" because people really do care in that environment. It's full of sociopathic career pushers.

So glad to leave silicon valley, gently caress that place. That being said sometimes you would meet a high level director who was fat and you would be like, drat, this dude's power reading is off the charts if he can roll like that. Power move.

Taima has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Apr 20, 2024

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

spiritual bypass posted:

Ozempic has turned into a weird culture war thing. People have turned valid criticisms into these weird hoots and hollers from the sidelines where they are happy there are potential side effects or critical of anyone who would even consider it.

I can see why basically every celebrity is lying about taking it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

we need to go back to when the standard of beauty was a deathly pale 200 pound woman covered in 50 pounds of clothing

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
still is for me tbqh

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mistermojo posted:

we need to go back to when the standard of beauty was a deathly pale 200 pound woman covered in 50 pounds of clothing

:stwoon:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Ozempic has turned into a weird culture war thing. People have turned valid criticisms into these weird hoots and hollers from the sidelines where they are happy there are potential side effects or critical of anyone who would even consider it.

I can see why basically every celebrity is lying about taking it.

Well I mean sure, if the internet is your gauge on it.

opinions and values differ across social classes and geographically in real life because it's a really, really complex topic that touches on so many lovely parts of our society, from its absurd cost, to its untested long-term ramifications, and yeah, people genuinely not wanting to see anyone else shine.

What really amazes me is how much ozempic et al is kind of a proxy battle for many of the ills of society right now, in one neat package.

You can tell a lot about someone by understanding their position on GLP agonists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mistermojo posted:

why not update it to 1600lb of power armor?