Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

shrinkflation lols

guess how many

That's my favorite so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How much money do you think they spent remaking the mold?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1784267531173159165

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thoguh posted:

I’ve never seen anyone self pour or serve outside a restaurant an actual ‘serving’ of wine that isn’t at least two servings.

This. I grew up with alcoholics and their pours are insane. Every shot is a double or triple. Before my sister went to rehab we were having some wine with dinner and she poured me like a double and I did a "whoa that's a lot I just want one serving" and she looked at me like I was crazy.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/staceyhopkinsga/status/1784232697432256637?t=Un5OmHkcJdOAmTtxHxgG1w&s=19

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

hmmmm there sure are a number of mysterious computer crimes specifically involving voting occurring in my state

probably nothing

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Nonsense posted:

What happened to the tweet about the Australian Alpha guy who lets somebody gently caress his wife because he's outsourcing the same way Elon Bezos and Musk outsource tasks

it was right here!

Praise God Found It

https://twitter.com/WeedMubarak/status/1783948045975273943

You can try to explain capitalism as socially corrosive using passages from Marx, but then these people just lay it all out there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

In case anybody thinks it's impossible, I've been in that top decile at certain points in my life.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In healthcare news:

Hospitals Cash In on a Private Equity-Backed Trend: Concierge Physician Care

quote:

Nonprofit hospitals created largely to serve the poor are adding concierge physician practices, charging patients annual membership fees of $2,000 or more for easier access to their doctors.

It’s a trend that began decades ago with physician practices. Thousands of doctors have shifted to the concierge model, in which they can increase their income while decreasing their patient load.

Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, Penn Medicine in Philadelphia, University Hospitals in the Cleveland area, and Baptist Health in Miami are among the large hospital systems offering concierge physician services. The fees, which can exceed $4,000 a year, are in addition to copayments, deductibles, and other charges not paid by patients’ insurance plans.

Critics of concierge medicine say the practice exacerbates primary care shortages, ensuring access only for the affluent, while driving up health care costs. But for tax-exempt hospitals, the financial benefits can be twofold. Concierge fees provide new revenue directly and serve as a tool to help recruit and retain physicians. Those doctors then provide lucrative referrals of their well-heeled patients to the hospitals that employ them.

“Hospitals are attracted to physicians that offer concierge services because their patients do not come with bad debts or a need for charity care, and most of them have private insurance which pays the hospital very well,” said Gerard Anderson, a hospital finance expert at Johns Hopkins University.

“They are the ideal patient, from the hospitals’ perspective.”

Concierge physicians typically limit their practices to a few hundred patients, compared with a couple of thousand for a traditional primary care doctor, so they can promise immediate access and longer visits.

Is your doctor using AI?

quote:

Don’t be surprised if your doctors start writing you overly friendly messages. They could be getting some help from artificial intelligence.

New AI tools are helping doctors communicate with their patients, some by answering messages and others by taking notes during exams. It’s been more than a year since OpenAI released ChatGPT. Already thousands of doctors are using similar products based on large language models. One company says its tool works in 14 languages.

AI saves doctors time and prevents burnout, enthusiasts say. It also shakes up the doctor-patient relationship, raising questions of trust, transparency, privacy and the future of human connection.

Your next check-up could be recorded by an AI-powered smartphone app that listens, documents and instantly organizes everything into a note you can read later. The tool also can mean more money for the doctor’s employer because it won’t forget details that legitimately could be billed to insurance.

Your doctor should ask for your consent before using the tool. You might also see some new wording in the forms you sign at the doctor’s office.

Other AI tools could be helping your doctor draft a message, but you might never know it.

“Your physician might tell you that they’re using it, or they might not tell you,” said Cait DesRoches, director of OpenNotes, a Boston-based group working for transparent communication between doctors and patients. Some health systems encourage disclosure, and some don’t.

Doctors or nurses must approve the AI-generated messages before sending them. In one Colorado health system, such messages contain a sentence disclosing they were automatically generated. But doctors can delete that line.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

always nice to have another thing to spy on us

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/new-mexico-arizona-freight-train-derailment-fire/story?id=109718407

Another derailment, this time with fuel :v:

Had to divert around it with our moving truck since it shut down I-40. Got to see Dowa Yalanne at least

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

skooma512 posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/new-mexico-arizona-freight-train-derailment-fire/story?id=109718407

Another derailment, this time with fuel :v:

Had to divert around it with our moving truck since it shut down I-40. Got to see Dowa Yalanne at least

it's only gasoline and propane. natural and returning home.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

quote:

Your next check-up could be recorded by an AI-powered smartphone app that listens, documents and instantly organizes everything into a note you can read later. The tool also can mean more money for the doctor’s employer because it won’t forget details that legitimately could be billed to insurance.

and depending on the AI they’re using, could also be “remembering” details that never existed!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Animal-Mother posted:

In case anybody thinks it's impossible, I've been in that top decile at certain points in my life.

People who think that upper decile is impossible are probably in the group that's drinking a lot more than they realize

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Guy On Another Forum posted:

The inflation statistics do not use rent, they try to create an equivalent rent for owner occupied housing, but do a very poor job of it. If we use actual rental statistics instead, we find that housing inflation has come down, so at least in the US inflation is already very close to 2%.

https://www.rent.com/research/average-rent-price-report/

Umm, what?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hello, since this thread likes number going up, have another number that goes up:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1783512618151666064

Luckily, the majority of economic activity happens indoors and outdoor number doesn’t matter. Hang on, I’m getting a report that food and water come from outside…

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

my food comes from inside a grocery store….?

:confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

my food comes from inside a grocery store….?

:confused:

Oh poo poo, you right. My b my b.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hello, since this thread likes number going up, have another number that goes up:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1783512618151666064

Luckily, the majority of economic activity happens indoors and outdoor number doesn’t matter. Hang on, I’m getting a report that food and water come from outside…

They really need to start presenting this info in Fahrenheit as well so that we Americans have any loving clue what it means.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

can't remember where I found this but it intrigued me:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Oh poo poo, you right. My b my b.

Hold up, new source is telling me those big trucks bring the food to the grocery store.

Those trucks have to go outside.

Hold up for more investigation

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? One word. Air Conditioning. There's a great future in air conditioning.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

the popes toes posted:

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? One word. Air Conditioning. There's a great future in air conditioning.

Do you have to shampoo your air as well?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

Hold up, new source is telling me those big trucks bring the food to the grocery store.

Those trucks have to go outside.

Hold up for more investigation

New data shows that the big trucks are coming from processing buildings. All economic activity is still safely kept indoors.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SlimGoodbody posted:

They really need to start presenting this info in Fahrenheit as well so that we Americans have any loving clue what it means.

tbf the units there really don't matter all that much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Worried this may impact my Italian villa time

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Worried this may impact my Italian villa time

But how will it impact your TC at the technology company you work for

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this guy is right about what's happening but wrong about the conclusion: rent equivalent is far lower than rent because its estimated by people who are homeowners (payments stay pretty static compared to rent and a large amount of people dont even have mortgages), and for people who have mortgages, it doesn't factor in the cost of insurance.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Complications posted:

New data shows that the big trucks are coming from processing buildings. All economic activity is still safely kept indoors.

New data also shows that the food at the processing plants arrives on trucks from the outside.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Will you accept Hiroshimas per second?

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1784193831426314590

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Oh great but what is it in football fields or whales or Ford F150s

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

silicone thrills posted:

This. I grew up with alcoholics and their pours are insane. Every shot is a double or triple. Before my sister went to rehab we were having some wine with dinner and she poured me like a double and I did a "whoa that's a lot I just want one serving" and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Alcoholism is so crazy. They're dumping Cabernet into a big gulp and when you ask what they're doing they'll get upset. "I'm POURING a GLASS of WINE." rip :smith:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

the lengths americans go to avoiding the metric system

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Why dont alcoholics do other, better drugs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biplane posted:

Why dont alcoholics do other, better drugs

An outrageous request

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yellen degenerates

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

yellen degenerates

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nonsense posted:

An outrageous request

A heroin addict nodding off is cooler than an alcoholic

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

maybe if youre some dweeb like my brother in law who is like "I think I will enjoy A Beer this evening and selects a single can of Elderberry von Hoppenstein and drinks it over 3 hours. as a red blooded american who snakes his own sink however if the sun is out and im drinking beer outside i will be drinking 6-12 3% abv macrobrews in rapid succession. pissing constantly and loving it.

:wtc: 3 percent abv like you're buying your beer at a state liquor store in iowa or something.

8.5 abv like the new belgium trippel I'm drinking rn or gtfo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I swear the minute the temp goes above 70F I switch from wine to beer.

also :respek: with parental alky chat bc after my dad managed to go sober for an entire year he cited the medical journals saying one glass of red wine each day was good for you* & found the world's largest wine glass before he stopped caring how much he drank again.

*now disproven but try convincing alkies