Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

you can drink and smoke weed at the same time. if you get drowsy, take stimulants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's a timeshare. They're selling timeshares.

Picasso but with an A

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Smug Mug posted:

you can drink and smoke weed at the same time. if you get drowsy, take stimulants

ah, yes, The White House Method

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

tldr gently caress my life

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Apr 28, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Hardcore stoners are way more annoying than alcoholics from a roommate perspective

theres nobody more annoying then a guy who discovers weed in their 30's.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

again…I really think the comparisons aren’t being treated equally because a 30 year old who discovers alcohol is objectively a whole lot

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

really showing your asses here, people without friends who drink as much as the guy who smokes too much smokes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

really showing your asses here, people without friends who drink as much as the guy who smokes too much smokes

I missed the entire conversation but i drink because my job makes me drink

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

alcoholism is out of control because treating it requires a functional social network

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Apr 28, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

alcoholism is out of control because treating it requires a functional social network

Go back to your original post because it was better. No need to edit it.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Go back to your original post because it was better. No need to edit it.
i am trying not to turn this thread into my own personal therapy space

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Fuligin posted:

Hardcore stoners are way more annoying than alcoholics from a roommate perspective

Homeless Friend posted:

Have either of you actually known a late stage alcoholic. Big time stoners are loving losers too but it genuinely doesn't compare in my experience. Alcoholics are not just "wine moms" it's seriously dark poo poo and the effects of the substance are inherently and statistically more violent, damaging and chaotic than weed

Apr 7, 2003

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i am trying not to turn this thread into my own personal therapy space

Fair enough.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
agreed it was a good post

Apr 7, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Have either of you actually known a late stage alcoholic. Big time stoners are loving losers too but it genuinely doesn't compare in my experience. Alcoholics are not just "wine moms" it's seriously dark poo poo and the effects of the substance are inherently and statistically more violent, damaging and chaotic than weed

My father evaded the late stage alcoholism issue by dying from a brain tumor. On the way there, he ruined everything in his life and also committed multiple felony sex crimes. Don't drink if you cant handle it, and also don't drink if you can.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
in Turkey you have to drink to show you're modern and not a chud

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I missed the entire conversation but i drink because my job makes me drink

oh sorry I wasn’t addressing people without friends

here let me put it in computer talk

i am harry posted:

really showing your asses here, people without {<friends who drink as much as> the guy who smokes too much;smokes}

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

oh sorry I wasn’t addressing people without friends

here let me put it in computer talk

Seems rude, imho

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I had a friend who was a really cool dj and everyone liked her and she never stopped drinking and her brain melted along with the esophageal lining in her throat and she bled internally from every vascular part of her body but do tell me why you think a guy who finds out that smoking weed is rad after following orders all their life is worse you stupid dumb motherfucking goons

Apr 7, 2003

Literally nobody is saying that, go take a nap

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
poo poo

gently caress

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dongicus posted:

woah holky gently caress ummmmm anyways, saw this and thought of you https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438093

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wtf is this probe

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

maxwellhill posted:

agreed it was a good post

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they've posted that in several threads recently

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they've posted that in several threads recently

so what

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

cathie woods continuously winning

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

go away

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wizard Master-tier spam belongs in GBS, late night alcoholism chat belongs in I dunno the Trump thread.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

:qq:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

stupid bitch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FRC went down already, what's next on the bank list.. BAC??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like to smoke weed but it fucks with my sleep schedule. :smith:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

don’t let sleep gently caress with your weed schedule, stand up!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nitevision posted:

they just said alcoholics b*tch. not the adolf hitler of alcoholism

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

genuinely the biggest culture shock I get when traveling overseas in the summer is how much western europeans seemingly hate ice. nothing but warm drinks in 80 degree weather. if you pay extra you can get a mildly chilled bottle of overpriced water. america doesn't do poo poo right but ice is good

It’s not the norm for a restaurant to put ice in your drink because restaurants don’t have ice makers typically, they buy bags or make their own in the freezer. Fridges with ice machines or water are also not common because the water can be very hard and they’re larger/more costly to buy and operate (electricity). So that, among thinking ice is bad for you or gets you sick, is why you don’t find ice plentiful in Europe like in the US.

It’s an obvious tell who’s American by the buckets of ice on tables over there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Glumwheels posted:

thinking ice is bad for you or gets you sick

ive heard this in passing a few times but genuinely what the gently caress is up with this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

ive heard this in passing a few times but genuinely what the gently caress is up with this

it's true. listen up and learn.

From the spleen to the kidneys, cold water could adversely affect your body from a TCM perspective. You think cold water is more refreshing and tastier than warm water, but you might not understand how cold water is bad for your health. Here are some ways that cold water does harm to our body.

### The Spleen (and Kidneys)

Cold water (and iced drinks in general) interferes with the spleen and kidneys’ normal functions, according to TCM. The spleen has numerous functions, one being distributing blood and nutrients throughout the entire body.

It is also a vital organ for creating and circulating Qi, which is commonly referred to as the “vital life force”. Healthy Qi flow is beneficial to our body in many ways, it helps with:

• Digestion

• Absorption

• Blood circulation

• Immunity protection

The spleen also provides warmth to the kidneys for optimal functionality. It has an easier time adapting to moderate temperatures since Qi circulates better in a warm environment, and vice versa. Therefore, the TCM answer to the question “Is cold water bad for your kidneys?” is a resounding yes.

### The Stomach

TCM principles suggest that the stomach works optimally with warmth instead of coldness. To keep the stomach healthy, we should consume foods that are warm and hot. Cold and ice foods should also be avoided as they are believed to be harmful to the stomach and can disturb digestive functions.

## TCM’s Six Pathogenic Factors

There are six pathogenic factors in Chinese medicine, which are understood to be the six groups of environmental pathogenic elements that change a person’s physiology and cause disease. They can either invade the body individually or in different combinations. These elements include:

• Wind

• Cold

• Summer-heat

• Dampness

• Dryness

• Fire

Since cold water is considered a “cold” pathogenic element, its coldness can slow down and disrupt the spleen’s Qi circulation. As a result, cold water will also affect the stomach’s temperature by causing it to create more heat to maintain a balance.

Reactions such as these prevent the stomach from working optimally, thereby affecting digestion. Consequently, cold water consumption harms the spleen and stomach, which can potentially lead to the following gastrointestinal issues:

• Nausea

• Diarrhea

• Vomiting

• Loss of appetite

• Dyspepsia

• Malabsorption

### Cold Water Weakens Immunity

The spleen is an integral part of your immune system. TCM sees Qi as an immune system booster to keep pathogens and infectious diseases at bay. Since the spleen is responsible for Qi formation and protecting our bodies from diseases, drinking cold water could harm both your spleen and your immunity.

### Cold Water Adds to Dampness

What’s more, Qi circulation also plays a role in dampness catabolism. A weakened spleen under cold effect can cause Qi circulation to slow down and become ineffective at catabolizing dampness, which ends up accumulating and further hindering the spleen and stomach’s digestive process.

TCM’s theory states that signs and symptoms of accumulated dampness include:

• Fatigue

• Dizziness

• Poor sleep quality

• Venous insufficiency (heavy limbs)

• Fluid retention

• Obesity

### Cold Water Can Contribute to Menstrual Disorders

Chinese mothers advise their daughters against drinking cold beverages during their periods. From a TCM perspective, “cold” can slow down Qi circulation and impede blood flow. TCM practitioners say that Qi obstruction and blood accumulation are important contributing factors to menstrual disorders such as:

• Menstrual pain

• Endometriosis

• Uterine fibroids

• And more

## Hot Water vs. Cold water

While research suggests that increased metabolism, enhanced alertness, and improved hydration for physical activity are some benefits of drinking cold water, those who follow TCM principles believe that cold water is harmful to one’s health and increases susceptibility to many disorders.

Now that you understand the TCM perspective, you’ll be less confused the next time you see a Chinese person order a hot drink on a summer day. In fact, Chinese people drink hot water throughout all seasons.

If you want to get healthier from a TCM perspective, there’s one simple thing you can start doing today: swap your iced drinks for room-temperature or warm water.

TCM’s principle is the opposite of Western medicine. It emphasizes the importance of harmony and balance within an individual’s internal system to minimize the recurrence of diseases rather than straightforwardly curing the disease. Hence more and more westerners are catching onto the TCM system.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

can't remember where I found this but it intrigued me:

so basically every other metric is back to where it should be in 2019, except for housing lol

vampire segment of the economy wrecking everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i didn't know turner classic movies had such strong opinions on cold water