Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I'm starting to think that the knowledge economy was a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Since Google Maps was thoroughly "hijacked" by fake 5-star reviews years ago and even Glassdoor sold out, is there anywhere at all you can find even 10% genuine reviews of something or is it back to trusting only word of mouth and site:reddit.com?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Were online reviews ever remotely useful? I only remember them being the domain of bots, shills, and complete weirdos from day one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Since Google Maps was thoroughly "hijacked" by fake 5-star reviews years ago and even Glassdoor sold out, is there anywhere at all you can find even 10% genuine reviews of something or is it back to trusting only word of mouth and site:reddit.com?
even though it's gone downhill a lot since NYT bought them out, wirecutter is still pretty decent and has a very wide range: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/ they at least usually test products from standmixers to vacuums to cars to sextoys instead of just SEO copies

but yes I usually do a backup check with site:reddit and don't rely solely on it.

for restaurants? no idea, probably only word of mouth. yelp is horribad dogshit these days. maybe tripadvisor

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Apr 30, 2024

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol if you think the site:reddit.com trick hasn't been gamed for years

morpheus voice: you think those are genuine product and/or service users you're reading?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

lol if you think the site:reddit.com trick hasn't been gamed for years

morpheus voice: you think those are genuine product and/or service users you're reading?

you can check if they have a posting history vs just bot spam. usually posts from >5 years ago aren't bot-spammed copies

again, you need to learn to use all the tools available and basic common sense in vetting, and usually crosschecking a few spots. reviews/comments in like 2 - 4 star range on amazon can also be helpful as cross-checks but never by themself, ever. avoid 1 or 5

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah online reviews largely suck, its hard enough to judge the quality of a $9 doodad but then you're supposed to take that skillset and personally find a good dermatologist or optometrist.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Apr 30, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Were online reviews ever remotely useful? I only remember them being the domain of bots, shills, and complete weirdos from day one.

For popular brand name products, amazon is still useful because the top ranked negative reviews will have pictures of broken/melted/defective products, plus there's fakespot and the like plus "professional" reviewers that will sometimes give specific pros and cons.

For services though, I haven't had much luck. Tax accountants, vets, dentists, optometrists, you name it. Either they have a dozen reviews or less or a couple dozen real reviews buried under hundreds of obviously fake 5 stars. Right now I'm looking for a specific kind of contact lens and there's a grand total of two providers near me fitting them so I guess I'll try the closest first.

I've gotten more use from Google Maps reviews in non-English-speaking countries because the reviews from tourists are mostly real and will often include useful information about skipping lines/buying tickets or whatever, but I don't travel much anymore.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

For popular brand name products, amazon is still useful because the top ranked negative reviews will have pictures of broken/melted/defective products, plus there's fakespot and the like plus "professional" reviewers that will sometimes give specific pros and cons.

For services though, I haven't had much luck. Tax accountants, vets, dentists, optometrists, you name it. Either they have a dozen reviews or less or a couple dozen real reviews buried under hundreds of obviously fake 5 stars. Right now I'm looking for a specific kind of contact lens and there's a grand total of two providers near me fitting them so I guess I'll try the closest first.

I've gotten more use from Google Maps reviews in non-English-speaking countries because the reviews from tourists are mostly real and will often include useful information about skipping lines/buying tickets or whatever, but I don't travel much anymore.

as someone who really relies on these kind of services (particularly physical and mental health professionals), it's making life pretty loving harrowing

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-beginning-how-prison-run-call-center-changed-my-life-walenciak

You see, four of Televerde’s nine call centers are staffed entirely by women in the Arizona State Prison complex in Perryville. They have a fifth call center run by women in the Indiana State Correctional Facility in Rockville.

One of my ex-girlfriends works at Perryville. I should ask her about this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
UnitedHealthcare is dropping my provider of 30 years in June bc the company refuses to cover the increasing costs

looking forward to that

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ime amazon review pictures consist of people angry that the product was damaged on delivery, and/or old people taking selfies for some reason.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

UnitedHealthcare is dropping my provider of 30 years in June bc the company refuses to cover the increasing costs

looking forward to that

If you like your doctor you can keep it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
'it'?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's an LLM now

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I forgot the quote but when I looked it up I found that it was rated lie of 2013 by politifact.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

if only ms. holmes (GOAT) waited a few years hse coulda been saying AI nine hundred times each quarterly earning and be running a $5 trillion market cap company right now

Oh my god no poo poo.

Just imagine her with those dead eyes and 50 year pack per day smoker voice saying “With advances in ai, the Edison will be able to provide access to diagnostic testing to all families. So they will never experience not getting to say goodbye to a distant uncle who they never really talked to.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

looking forward to that

Love how two of the worst companies in healthcare, UHC and HCA, are based out of Tennessee.

Someone should do something about that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

rudecyrus posted:

looking forward to that

if you like your doctor you can

:rolldice:

actually no gently caress you

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Canned Sunshine posted:

One of my ex-girlfriends works at Perryville. I should ask her about this.

what did she do!?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yelp seems good or at least full of people angry about food

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0628/companies-televerde-hitachi-netapp-cisco-salvation-at-center.html?sh=a19677921841

Andria Goodwin is in her cubicle. She has her headset on and is in the middle of trying to sell an indifferent manager at a big insurance company on the idea of buying a very expensive database software package. He wants to back out: "This sounds like a conversation for our IT staff." Goodwin has heard that one before. "Why? You'll be the one using this stuff," she says in a matter-of-fact tone.

He pauses, then gives in. He agrees to a follow-up call the next week. Goodwin beams, knowing she converted a cold call into a solid lead. "If you follow a script, you'll fail every time," she says.

At the end of her shift Goodwin, 38, will head back to her cell block at the Arizona State Prison Complex in Perryville, 25 miles west of Phoenix. She's almost done serving her five-year sentence for fraud.

But Goodwin clawed her way back toward a semblance of a respectable life and had a job waiting for her upon her release in April, thanks to a company called Televerde, which operates four call centers at Perryville. Televerde is staffed by 250 "ladies," as they proudly prefer to be called, who show up for their shifts in bright orange jumpsuits. They submit to strip searches and are sometimes heckled by the guards, but once they've put on that headset, these women are in another world. "You get your dignity back," says Goodwin, who also had $8,000 in savings waiting for her on the other side.

Televerde generated $12.1 million in revenue last year and is growing profitably. Hooker's customers are some of the biggest names in tech: Cisco , NetApp , Hitachi , SAP . A signed poster from Bill Gates hangs on several walls in Perryville: "To Televerde, Keep up the great work." These firms discreetly rely on Televerde's women to sell complex, multimillion-dollar software and hardware systems. Says Cisco sales manager Christina Foley: "Their technical aptitude is off the charts."

A dozen former inmates who now work for Televerde are gathered around a boardroom table. They're joking about who will eat the first cookie and swapping turnaround stories. Amy Heiser, a woman who entered Perryville at 19 and pregnant, has tears in her eyes. "Prison was the best thing that ever happened to me," she says. The room is silent for a second, and then everyone roars. "Me, too," one gal chimes. "Absolutely," says another. "No doubt."

The girlboss liberal empowerment spin on this is so horrifying

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Our slaves enjoy a feeling of empowerment

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

UHC is either the fastest growing provider or largest provider of Medicare advantage plans in the country. Definitely the biggest one in my area.

If that tells you anything.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
More tesla layoffs are in the pipeline.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Tesla's fundamentals are so strong and powerful they can easily rid themselves of the detritus

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

They already perfected the designs, that's why they cut the new model and don't need nearly as big of a team anymore

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1785285975683596765

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This is an insanely bad idea. Going after your Pretoria guard lol

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
gambling reaching new frontiers, the skee ball machine at dave and busters

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1785278837472842075

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

This is an insanely bad idea. Going after your Pretoria guard lol

The Praetorian guard were trained men with swords and pikes. What the hell are junior wall street analysts gonna do lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

To be clear, I wish only misery and death on anyone connected to wall street in any capacity

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

jesus christ

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The numbers are going up!!!

up Up UP

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
its important to train the next generation of sycophants

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

gambling reaching new frontiers, the skee ball machine at dave and busters

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1785278837472842075

I am $25,000 in debt to dave and busters after placing too many bad bets on which Asian teenager is going to be better at DDR

"Double or nothing" I say as I place the keys to my Hyundai on the counter and solemnly nod at Toshi

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-beginning-how-prison-run-call-center-changed-my-life-walenciak

You see, four of Televerde’s nine call centers are staffed entirely by women in the Arizona State Prison complex in Perryville. They have a fifth call center run by women in the Indiana State Correctional Facility in Rockville.

I worked in a call center for almost a decade. Forcing prisoners to do this poo poo absolutely constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I am $25,000 in debt to dave and busters after placing too many bad bets on which Asian teenager is going to be better at DDR

"Double or nothing" I say as I place the keys to my Hyundai on the counter and solemnly nod at Toshi

Ho! One more time, I'm back with a new line
Hey! Here we go again
Ha! Bet it up my friend
No! We don't stop
Ha! We rock the spot
No! We don't quit
Get ready, it's about to hit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

netizen posted:

I'm starting to think that the knowledge economy was a scam.

:ssh: trying to earn an income here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Biplane posted:

The Praetorian guard were trained men with swords and pikes. What the hell are junior wall street analysts gonna do lmao

I'm not here to educate you

SKULL.GIF posted:

The numbers are going up!!!

up Up UP

Lmao that is bad