Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

boeing's been making rockets since rockets have been made in america. the entire us space program was and is basically a big giveaway to boeing, lockheed martin, and every other big military contractor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shear Modulus posted:

boeing's been making rockets since rockets have been made in america. the entire us space program was and is basically a big giveaway to boeing, lockheed martin, and every other big military contractor

wow. im sorry to hear that. your telling me for the very first time

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Man Who Killed Google Search

it keeps going, but basically Google fired the guy who built their search engine and replaced him with the guy who killed Yahoo!

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Shear Modulus posted:

Talking about ufo's, martians, and the cosmos has mostly been cover for spending trillions to project death from above on all corners of the globe. Saying we made rocket's for anything other than killing massive amounts of people is disingenuous. Also uncomfortable enough that we'd rather collectively jerk off about going to the moon 50 years ago like we cured cancer rather than contend with the fact we built the nazi doomsday weapons and wield it like the sword of Damocles.

Boeing might as well be called Gus's World Famous Aircraft Shop

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

well thats great and all, but how;s that make any money for the mcdonald douglass c-suite? could we use cheaper valves and waive receipt inspection for contracted components?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

loquacius posted:

This is true, though, you should always assume car rental agencies are going to gently caress you and never pay them anything

I must admit, if Hertz is screwing Tesla wanters, I'm having difficulty picking a side.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

I can’t wait for the ai investor bubble to pop honestly. it might be the most, and only, exciting thing to look forward to in the foreseeable future.

all those trillions of dollars jizzed off in speculative shovels…. lost like tears in the rain

i'm gonna lol and lmao and hoot and holler and then somehow lose my fuckin job

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

They charged him for 51 gallons of gas for an electric car he brought back at the exact same state of charge. He also paid for the "Skip the Pump and Save Time" option, which allows customers to bring their rental cars back without refilling the gas tank.

:psyduck:

Mao please wake up

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Man Who Killed Google Search

it keeps going, but basically Google fired the guy who built their search engine and replaced him with the guy who killed Yahoo!

Sundar being a Mckinsey alum is :chanpop:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Orvin posted:

Jesus, makes the Midwest $15ish cents/kWh seem drat near free. Add in abundant water, and why the hell do people live on the West coast again?

is your local power utility publicly or privately owned

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Sundar being a Mckinsey alum is :chanpop:
yep. thiel, musk, zuckerborg, bezos get a lot of poo poo as evil psychopathic tech moguls but Sundar is lowkey just as bad if not worse than some of those and somehow flies under the spotlight for some reason

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Xaris posted:

yep. thiel, musk, zuckerborg, bezos get a lot of poo poo as evil psychopathic tech moguls but Sundar is lowkey just as bad if not worse than some of those and somehow flies under the spotlight for some reason

does he maybe not go out of his way spending extra money to try to make himself a celebrity?

like remember when zucc did a grand tour of the country getting pictures taken with ordinary people as if he was running for public office, but at some point someone pointed out short guys don't win elections? or was that just insecurity because people joked about him being a lizardman alien?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Here's some capital-D Doomsday Econ portents
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1788350025971401085?t=Xz06UetFT6sw2rNHmxbghw&s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

I like how gmail only lets you mark all you can see as read :what:

hit the select all button, then hit the button on the right here:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The ladder is pulled up, they’re finally just acknowledging it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Orvin posted:

But Hertz closed the contract, so Hertz can’t do anything about that charge.

Never mind the fact that the charge was added after the customer walked away from the car after dropping it off. The customer (who has top level status with Hertz) should have known that Hertz was out to ratfuck him and pre-disputed the charge prior to returning the vehicle.

So is this just a general public relations / call center issue, an AI issue, or Hertz is circling the drain and adding all the fees to strip the copper from the walls?

it was Hertz he should be thanking them for not reporting the car stolen, impounding the car in the. middle of his trip, and sending him to collections over it

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hubbert posted:

is your local power utility publicly or privately owned

Publicly traded company. Probably helps that Illinois has a fleet of Nuclear generators that are still operational. That is definitely keeping the price of electricity moderated quite a bit. The owners of the nuclear plants went begging to the state a few times for money, and got a bunch of money to keep some of the plants open.

And from working adjacent to those plants, they have some legacy departments set up that is probably keeping them reasonably profitable. The most notable is a refueling coordination department that is ruthless in tracking all tasks during a refueling outage. I guess during the 80s refueling outages took literal months to complete. So this department got spun up, and refueling takes about 2 weeks or less, and has been that way for over 2 decades or something.

And also, the state returned a significantly lower than expected numbers on the Utilities long range spending plans at the end of last year. Good for the consumer, not so good for executive bonuses. The utility commission dropped the return on equity from 10.5% to 8% as well as slashed a lot of other things. The executives lost their mind about not being able to earn interest/returns off the pension fund.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/nixcraft/status/1788144263928357306

The current AI bubble is basically stealing other people’s work and not citing it

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

yeah AI bubble we’re in right now is basically stealing other people’s work and not citing it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mandel Brotset posted:

yeah AI bubble we’re in right now is basically stealing other people’s work and not citing it

true and insightful post

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A NIMBY group (with a mailing address in Oregon for some reason) blocked an apartment building from being built on currently derelict land here over concerns that it might impact a park a mile and a half away. This was going to be a $1700/mo 1br sort of place. I figure a lot of it is just current landlords / property owners loving the bottom 50% non landowning people just to protect the value of their "investment."

https://www.wesa.fm/development-transportation/2023-05-25/pittsburgh-irish-centre-apartments

a park a mile and a half away? what % of Americans can even walk a mile and a half without a gun to their head? lol

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Oh no people might actually use a park?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there are currently a total of three (3) open jobs at tesla

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

it really seems like the ai bubble is just stealing other people's ideas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Maed posted:

Yeah it's more of a copyright loophole than AI

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Maed posted:

It's a venture capitalist pump and dump. Here's the new idea of the future! Wow! And it can be yours for millions of dollars! Thanks for the money! Gotta go!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anime was right posted:

after studying this thread for years, i have divined the ten commandments of economics

1) number must always go up

2) the economy is perfect if my guy is president

3) uncolonized nations doing well is bad because they're doing them foreignishly

4) inflation is bad because inflation = wages

5) cocaine supply and interest rates are inversely related

6) stock buybacks are a constitutional right

7) its only a crime if you do it to a richer person

8) money isnt real when its printed, it is when you owe me

9) you're wrong if it makes me poorer

10) resources are infinite because i'll be dead before they're not

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

triple sulk posted:

there are currently a total of three (3) open jobs at tesla

let me guess. theyre all financial/accounting adjacent

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/LastCallCNBC/status/1787997013432221804

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

let me guess. theyre all financial/accounting adjacent

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

awwwwww the giant rent collecting conglomerate is losing money or just making slightly less money and needs to beg the fed tor LOW RATES for their FAILING BUSINESS

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lol they're only hiring interns/trainees, probably as low-cost replacements for the several thousand senior line workers they just shitcanned

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

lol they're only hiring interns/trainees, probably as low-cost replacements for the several thousand senior line workers they just shitcanned

But we're so innovative we don't need a union.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Vox Nihili posted:

awwwwww the giant rent collecting conglomerate is losing money or just making slightly less money and needs to beg the fed tor LOW RATES for their FAILING BUSINESS

yeah dont believe a word a billionaire real estate guy is saying

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

“The real estate markets are taking it on the chin because rates rose so fast,” says Starwood Capital Group CEO Barry Sternlicht. “You're gonna see a regional bank fail... every week. Maybe two a week."

Head cannibal of the largest cannibal tribe decries trends that outlaw harming and eating vulnerable people. "This is our main food souce we're talking about. Our sacred way of life is being threatened. We have a profound reverence for the natural order."

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Maed posted:

That's called innovation!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mandel Brotset posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maed posted:

Many people are saying this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol there are people out there right now paying their rent or mortgage with a wage they collect for being a "prompt engineer"