Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
no IK now. time to post about pittsburg and baseball

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
america's got some nice yield curves :swoon:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress it just put everything in Tesla since the money hose will never end

i gotta say it's absurd how absolutely insane tesla's share prices have gone up in only 3 years. it blew up 600% in only 3 years, or like 200% each year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

this chart exists to map the effectiveness of the fed printing money
well yeah but it's also crazy that the fed money printer has been turned on continuously since like 2011 besides a brief period of 2018-2020, and even then still really low

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hubbert posted:

black monday the 13th

what a day that will be tomorrow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Mar 13, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

sullat posted:

Yeah everyone knows that the best time to buy stock in a company is when you're panick-withdrawing all your money out of it.
tip of the day: buy high, sell low

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ScrubLeague posted:

Yeah man we've been in a recession since about 1976 they just chose different numbers to look at
mid-90s were reasonably good times for the average working poor-middle class. housing still like 40k-140k, median household income $33k, healtchare like $100/month, etc. it was at least the first and last time things were pretty good for minorities

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
if people have an healthy tolerance to reddit-isms, this is an interesting read. https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/z8wus9/hyperinflation_is_coming_the_dollar_endgame_part/ i don't agree entirely but im with the general gist

quote:

SERIES (Parts 1-4) TL/DR: We are at the end of a MASSIVE debt supercycle. This 80-100 year pattern always ends in one of two scenarios- default/restructuring (deflation a la Great Depression) or inflation (hyperinflation in severe cases (a la Weimar Republic). The United States has been abusing it’s privilege as the World Reserve Currency holder to enforce its political and economic hegemony onto the Third World, specifically by creating massive artificial demand for treasuries/US Dollars, allowing the US to borrow extraordinary amounts of money at extremely low rates for decades, creating a Sword of Damocles that hangs over the global financial system.

The massive debt loads have been transferred worldwide, and sovereigns are starting to call our bluff. Governments papered over the 2008 financial crisis with debt, but never fixed the underlying issues, ensuring that the crisis would return, but with greater ferocity next time. Systemic risk (from derivatives) within the US financial system has built up to the point that collapse is all but inevitable, and the Federal Reserve has demonstrated it will do whatever it takes to defend legacy finance (banks, broker/dealers, etc) and government solvency, even at the expense of everything else (The US Dollar).

The Inflation Serpent

To most citizens living in the West, the concept of a collapsing fiat currency seems alien, unfathomable even. They regard it as an unfortunate event reserved only for those wretched souls unlucky enough to reside in third world countries or under brutal dictatorships.

Monetary mismanagement was seen to be a symptom only of the most corrupt countries like Venezuela- those where the elites gained control of the Treasury and printing press and used this lever to steal unimaginable wealth while impoverishing their constituents.

However, the annals of history spin a different tale- in fact, an eventual collapse of fiat currency is the norm, not the exception.

In a study of 775 fiat currencies created over the last 500 years, researchers found that approximately 599 have failed, leaving only 176 remaining in circulation. Approximately 20% of the 775 fiat currencies examined failed due to hyperinflation, 21% were destroyed in war, and 24% percent were reformed through centralized monetary policy. The remainder were either phased out, converted into another currency, or are still around today.

The average lifespan for a pure fiat currency is only 27 years- significantly shorter than a human life.

Double-digit inflation, once deemed an “impossible” event for the United States, is now within a stone’s throw. Powell, desperate to maintain credibility, has embarked on the most aggressive hiking schedule the Fed has ever undertaken. The cracks are starting to widen in the system.

One has to look no further than a simple graph of the M2 Money Supply, a measure that most economists agree best estimates the total money supply of the United States, to see a worrying trend:

The trend is exponential. Through recessions, wars, presidential elections, cultural shifts, and even the Internet age- M2 keeps increasing non-linearly, with a positive second derivative- money supply growth is accelerating.

This hyperbolic growth is indicative of a key underlying feature of the fiat money system: virtually all money is credit. Under a fractional reserve banking system, most money that circulates is loaned into existence, and doesn't exist as real cash- in fact, around 97% of all “money” counted within the banking system is debt, in one form or another. (See Dollar Endgame Part 3)

Debt virtually always has a yield- that yield is called interest, and that interest demands payment. Thus, any fiat money banking system MUST grow money supply at a compounding interest rate, forever, in order to remain stable.

Debt defaulting is thus quite literally the destruction of money- which is why the deflation is widespread, and also why M2 Money Supply shrank by 30% during the Great Depression.

This process repeats ad infinitum, perpetually compounding loan creation and thus money supply, in order to prevent systemic defaults. The system is BUILT for constant inflation.

In the last 50 years, only about 12 quarters have seen reductions in commercial bank credit. That’s less than 5% of the time. The other 95% has seen increases, per data from the St. Louis Fed.

Even without accounting for debt crises, wars, and government defaults, money supply must therefore grow exponentially forever- solely in order to keep the wheels on the bus.

The question is where that money supply goes- and herein lies the key to hyperinflation.

In the aftermath of 2008, the Fed and Treasury worked together to purchase billions of dollars of troubled assets, mortgage backed securities, and Treasury bonds- all in a bid to halt the vicious deleveraging cycle that had frozen credit markets and already sunk two large investment banks.

These programs were the most widespread and ambitious ever- and resulted in trillions of dollars of new money flowing into the financial system. Libertarian candidates and gold bugs such as Peter Schiff, who had rightly forecasted the Great Financial Crisis, now began to call for hyperinflation.

The trillions of printed money, he claimed, would create massive inflation that the government would not be able to tame. U.S. debt would be downgraded and sold, and with the Fed coming to the rescue with trillions more of QE, extreme money supply increases would ensue. An exponential growth curve in inflation was right around the corner.

Gold prices rallied hard, moving from $855 at the start of 2008 to a record high of $1,970 by the end of 2011. The end of the world was upon us, many decried. Occupy Wall Street came out in force.

However, to his great surprise, nothing happened. Inflation remained incredibly tame, and gold retreated from its euphoric highs. Armageddon was averted, or so it seemed.

The issue that was not understood well at the time was that there existed two economies- the financial and the real. The Fed had pumped trillions into the financial economy, and with a global macroeconomic downturn plus foreign central banks buying Treasuries via dollar recycling, all this new money wasn’t entering the real economy.
Instead, it was trapped, circulating in the hands of money market funds, equities traders, bond investors and hedge funds. The S&P 500, which had hit a record low in March of 2009, began a steady rally that would prove to be the strongest and most pronounced bull market in history.

The Fed in the end did achieve extreme inflation- but only in assets.

Without the Treasury incurring significant fiscal deficits this money did not flow out into the markets for goods and services but instead almost exclusively into equity and bond markets.

The great inflationary catastrophe touted by the libertarians and the gold bugs alike never came to pass- their doomsday predictions appeared frenetic, neurotic.

Instead of re-evaluating their arguments under this new framework, the neo-Keynesians, who held the key positions of power with Treasury, the Federal Reserve, and most American Universities (including my own) dismissed their ideas as economic drivel.

The Fed had succeeded in averting disaster- or so they claimed. Bernanke, in all his infinite wisdom, had unleashed the “Wealth Effect”- a crucial behavioral economic theory suggesting that people spend more as the value of their assets rise.

An even more extreme school of thought emerged- the Modern Monetary Theorists- who claimed that Central Banks had essentially discovered a ‘perpetual motion machine’- a tool for unlimited economic growth as a result of zero bound interest rates and infinite QE.

The government could borrow money indefinitely, and traditional metrics like Debt/GDP no longer mattered. Since each respective government could print money in their own currency- they could never default.

The bill would never be paid.

Or so they thought.
not gunna quote it all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lacrosse posted:

from the last thread:

lmao pretty sure my job uses Wells Fargo for payroll, gdi

while it's not a popular consumer or individual rich-person choice, almost every business and public agency uses wells fargo, it would be a shitshow of immense destructive porpotions, like legit complete collapse of america

e: to add, wells fargo personal banking is an absolute crook garbage shitshow. wells fargo business lines are basically a whole different tier: it's like like flying coach on Spirit Airlines/Ryan Air (and you're seated in the cargo hold) vs First Class KLM airlines. wells fargo business lines is massively pervasive in small to large businesses. i wouldn't be surprised if close to 80% of all payroll is handled through wells fargo business lines.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Mar 13, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

triple sulk posted:

i'm glad i didn't vote for joe biden
if we had trump, none of this would have happened. we'd still have 0% interest rates :pray:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

coelomate posted:

Letting the bank depositors eat poo poo would have done that way faster. I mean it might still happen, but...
:yeah:

reality is businesses and people are shook. even if biden bailsout everything in SVB and promises them each a million bucks ontop of it for being so nice customers, people are going to start taking big lumps out almost everywhere. no one wants to be in a position that depositors w SVB are in even if they'll "be made whole"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if people kept buying up Gamestop stocks to create a "short squeeze" against people who were shorting the stock

couldn't you, like, incite people to withdraw their money from banks to deliberately trigger bank runs to "squeeze" the Feds in a similar manner

technically yes but the amount of money mere mortal working peons have compared to businesses and capitalists is like a spitball in an ocean

you would need to have a lot of rich people behind it

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Mar 13, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rexicon1 posted:

The one thing I learned from this whole experience was that I did not have a proper nor robust enough hatred for Tech companies. I am now an anarcho-primitivism.

Prometheus, take back the flame, we cannot be trusted with it.

that's right

i'm a bona fide luddite

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shipon posted:

the luddites had such a reasonable justification for their actions that the centuries following were used to lie about their intentions entirely until their name became synonymous with "anti-technology", when in reality their message was if anything even more relevant now than ever before

they were right then and they sure as hell are right now

absolutely

the socio-economic and material conditions are almost identical between them then and today

which by the way ended as a result of immense and rapid militarization of the cops to gun down any dissenters

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

miss him

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Antonymous posted:

how come the page count number is so low I thought number go up

we did a share buyback to boost tax-exempt post profits

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
don’t post stupid ai poo poo. it’s 100% garbage and just pulls a random date whenever someone asks it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

anime was right posted:

processed meat and microplastics give u bowel cancer

100%

rear end cancer rates are massively exploding for under 45 and they’ll prob be recommending rear end screening starting at 30 soon

rear end cancer is being called the millennial disease

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Femur posted:

would decades of blow help or hurt your chances?
probably neutral but you will have a deviated septum and prob brain damage instead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mirthless posted:

My wife and i were just looking at packages of lunchables the other day and lamenting how little food it was

200-300 calories is not a reasonable amount for a lunch, you're making kids pay to go hungry at that point

lunchbales have had incredible shrinkflation the past decade or so. they’re so loving tiny now lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
note they were never healthy but they cost like $7 now for like 3 ritz crackers and a single slice of cheese junk food vs $1 for at least more food

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mirthless posted:

I wonder how theyre gonna meet the veg requirement. Replacing the smaller than fun size candy with carrot sticks? Will be shocked if the meal busts 200 calories

a lovely carrot stick won’t last the 17 months or whatever they sit on a shelf for

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

spacemang_spliff posted:

the quality limit for insects and insect fragments in tomato sauce is really high

relax it’s just extra protein. in fact, you should be grateful that you are getting bonus protein for FREEE!

mass producing tomatoes and only picking out the perfect ones for the grocery stores leaves around 92% of the bug hole ones to get tossed into the tomato sauce bay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

HallelujahLee posted:

what if we fed the kids sawdust we can save more than ever and make good ole profits

sorry but sawdust is more profitable as a OSB sheathing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

In Training posted:

I spend all my money on rent, food and drugs OP.
this

also instead of CDs I just put it into vanguard fmm

not like I have much anyways but probably equal risk to my SF bank

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

In Training posted:

I got an email from my bank today reassuring me that my account is FDIC insured and please don't take out the money Lol.

both me and my fiance (different credit unions) got a very similar letter lol. banks shook

quote:

Dear Valued Members,

I want to take this opportunity to address the recent news surrounding the shutdown of Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) and the impact it has had on some banks in the SF Bay Area. Firstly, I want to thank you for your continued trust in SF Fire Credit Union and assure you of our unwavering commitment to your financial stability and well-being.

Some customers of affected banks have been contacting us, seeking information and reassurance during this time. Let me take this opportunity to remind you that we have always been a stable financial institution and our prudent approach in providing safe, reliable financial products and services to our members. During the pandemic, we remained open for business, and were recognized as the #1 credit union to join during the Occupy Wall Street movement of 2011.

We understand that you may have concerns regarding the stability of your finances outside of the credit union, and we want to assure you that we are here to help. Our products and services are designed to provide great benefits and financial security. We offer competitive cash bonuses and good term certificate rates. The last five annual reports demonstrate our continued progress and stability.

To our potential new members from affected banks, we would like to welcome you to the SF Fire Credit Union Family. As a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative, we prioritize the well-being of our members above everything else. Our staff are equipped to provide you with the guidance and extra support you need during this time.

At SF Fire Credit Union, we are a core member of the San Francisco Bay Area community, and have been for over 70 years. We were built by firefighters but are open to community members. We are proud of our commitment to serving the community, and we will continue to do so for many years to come.

If any friends and family would like to open an account with SF Fire Credit Union, please share our new member offer at sffirecu.org/bonus300

Sincerely,
Kathy Duvall
President and CEO
SF Fire Credit Union
bonus even citing OWS

i do gotta wonder how solid CU insurance is. i dont like the sound of private deposit insurance

quote:

Deposits in SF Fire Credit Union are insured by American Share Insurance, the largest provider of private share insurance.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Mar 14, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lmao fox news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOw_sfqZIU

weirdly not too incorrect for once

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

Used car prices will never actually come down again.

yup. and also the entry-level MSRP market (16-22k) is dead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

dk2m posted:

internally they are a shitshow so perhaps they are sitting on toxic derivatives linked to what is now a really volatile bond market. if there's enough jitters and capital outflows from CS, they could be the first to go down, but probably too early to tell/total speculation

credit sussie is straight up pretty much a turbo crooked bank that it's absolutely gunna be the first one to go, if things start falling. the funniest is thing is people have been calling them super toxic for years, and they blatantly are, but they've just been left to carry-on the status quo.

but will swiss bail them out? probably. swiss is also locked in deep and can't let CS fail so it's not going to.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

triple sulk posted:

another 10k people laid off from fb lmao

they hired like 70k people for Meta in the great pandemic hiring spree

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
since everyone is complaining they can’t get a tech job now, I think they might have luck this time pushing it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
as soon as Facebook google twitter etc all did massive layoffs in feb, rush hour commute traffic immediately spiked as everyone rushed back to the office to keep showing their face so they didn’t get put next on the chopping block

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Crazypoops posted:

What's a good doomsday economics podcast

economic update with Richard Wolff is good

also trueanon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
maybe we should go back to 0% interest rates again until everyone has liquidity and free money and then raise rates again

I’m very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

why even bother making decisions when the markets will make it for them

priced in :downs: