Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao just remembered that extended SNAP benefits ended last week because they just couldn't find the money to keep it going

:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have it on good authority that this is a nothingburger that happens all the time, and no public money will be involved, or perhaps only a little as a bridge loan.

This is nothing, everyone is panicking for no reason.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nobody will ever suffer consequences

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

number will slip the surly bonds of earth and ascend unhindered into the heavens

no more workers, no more risk, no more consequences, just number

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SourKraut posted:

At least until China stops funding our spending; then all bets are off!

About that

quote:

NEW YORK/BEIJING -- China's U.S. government bond holdings hit the lowest in over 12 years at the end of December, while its gold trove grew against a backdrop of American interest rate hikes and bilateral tensions.

Chinese holdings of Treasury securities fell for the fifth straight month in December to $867 billion, data published Wednesday by the U.S. Treasury Department shows.

The figure fell $173.2 billion, or 17%, in 2022 -- the biggest drop since 2016. China was not the only nation to sell down its Treasury holdings -- all foreign holdings of Treasury securities fell 6% in 2022 -- but its move was large.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Bonds/China-s-U.S.-Treasury-holdings-hit-12-year-low-on-rate-hikes-tensions

:rubby:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

New Thread Title:

[Doomsday Economics] Bank Marathon

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

No worries since someone bought those bonds! Bing bong!

Wild that someone bought a ton of pre 2022 low interest rate bonds. Wonder who that could be? Do we know anybody with a large stockpile of low interest rate bonds?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Woah woah woah woah hold the gently caress on.

Hardee’s is Carl’s Jr?

Check the star

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

anime was right posted:

good thing the government has infinite money to prevent any and all failures

Modern Monetary Theory wins again!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

if money died, society would have no choice but to adopt full-blown space communism

it is known

Full blown, full automated *gay* luxury space communism. I stand ready to gently caress and suck whomever Chairman Xi decrees.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

*Chairman Xi points to Henry Kissinger*

Kissinger has proven impervious to poison, disease, brute force, and the ravages of time. He is only vulnerable when his guard is down, in the throes of passion. I will accept this task for the good of the people.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Doomsday econ evergreen summary: The system is eventually going to collapse, unleashing economic doomsday, but its not going to happen tomorrow no matter what the thread thinks or the news is reporting. The current state of things is lmao. Also number only goes up.

Refer to this post whenever you feel behind to immediately catch up

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

nah, material reality is going to reflect on policy eventually, and we get ever closer to that every day

lol. lmao.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If this is what centrism has to offer, I'd consider fighting alongside someone like Le Pen and just hope to go for the stab in the back first.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

net work error posted:

I've been out of the loop for a few days what's number status

Numbers only go up. They can briefly appear to go down, but thats just number readying itself to leap ever higher.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you fuckers sure hate levity huh

This confirms its a bad show for tedious people

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

lmao the US would take 5 years to replace a single ship. The US is incapable of switching to the command economy necessary to fight a real war against anyone even remotely capable of fighting back

Also the US would basically break down within a few months without the constant supply of goods from China.

E: Also the Chinese arent belligerent blood thirsty monsters like the US. China isnt going to launch a war, but the US is easily the most evil nation on earth and might do it out of spite if things keep getting worse at home

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Mar 22, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Don't worry, those were perfectly normal, scheduled transactions.

Hey quick question how long do those investigations usually take? Like a day or two tops, right?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Similar table but with one very, very important column included on this one:

Look at the "Shares owned" column.

Why does it keep going to 0 and back up again? Exercising options in transactions not recorded here?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

At least they know where they can look for a new job

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

no you fool you'll trigger a coffee derail

in before aeropress

I have an aeropress and a cheap hand grinder. It takes me a solid five minutes to grind my beans and make my coffee but I enjoy the little ritual.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mean Baby posted:

the easy way to curb inflation is a massive wealth tax and government injection into key areas for inflation, namely building housing

Why would you blaspheme against number in this way, here in its temple?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My wife came home last night with a tube of sausage from the grocery store by the train station and demanded I make biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch for dinner. It was pretty good. This is my biscuit story.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sullat posted:

Post the biscuit recipe, coward

Its not a very complicated recipe.

3 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
1 tbs sugar
6 tbs butter, diced up real small, cold
Between 1c and 1.25 c of buttermilk, cold
1/4 c of milk for brushing the biscuits so they brown in the oven

Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes

Makes about a dozen biscuits

Whisk together the dry ingredients, dump the butter into the dry ingredients and work it in by hand until it looks crumbly. Just kinda squish the butter and then roll it into the flour, but don't work it so long that the butter melts from the heat of your hands. This is the part you get better at with experience. Add a cup of buttermilk and half rear end mix with a fork or something until it starts coming together. Don't do a good job mixing, don't knead it, try to work the dough as little as you can. Use the other quarter cup of buttermilk if the dough won't come together, or there's a bunch of loose flour still left in the bowl. Dump your dough out on a floured surface or a silicone baking sheet and roughly shape it into a sheet about a half inch thick. Use a rolling pin if you have one. Ideally you should see pale little dots of butter in the dough as you roll it flat. Fold that sheet over itself in thirds like a letter, roll it back to 1/2 inch thick. Repeat two more times. Use a biscuit cutter to cut your dough for round biscuits or just a sharp knife for square biscuits. The important thing is that you cut the dough, which makes it easier for the biscuit to expand and look nice. Use something so your biscuits won't stick to a baking sheet - flour, corn meal, parchment, whatever - and give your biscuits an inch or so of clearance on all sides. Brush the tops with milk before putting the biscuits in if you feel weird about eating pale biscuits.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Mar 24, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Woke Mind Virus posted:

the type of flour matters for biscuits too. get some White Lily flour

I use King Arthur All Purpose flour for everything. I'm not quite fancy enough to have specialty stuff, and even if I did I wouldnt remember it existed and would just use regular flour anyways

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

its pretty tragic that libs think the reason capitol police didnt stop j6 was that they didnt have enough resources lol

My mother in law still just refuses to process the video clips of the capital cops showing people around and being friendly with them. Surely they must be edited, or the cops were actually terrified, or they were using lessons learned about de-escalation!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

look we just want a return to sanity

and/or fear

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Lmao I can imagine insurance companies citing bullshit metrics which allows them to lapse coverage right before the car gets in an accident

Well, a sudden unplanned extreme deceleration event would be a clear indicator of being an unsafe driver

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn is a conservative who believes he's really left of center, so anyone claiming to be further left than him must be making it up. Basic liberalism at play.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Wait, someone thinks Thorn isn't right-wing?

I thought it was pretty obvious he's further right than half of GOP.

That rapsheet should really make it very obvious.

Thorn isn't aware they're right wing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The impact of epigenetics on intelligence is far more impactful than hereditary genetics. Things like exposure to stress, diet, a dependable caregiver, and nurturing matter way more to brain development than your lineage. Those factors start stacking up before birth and continue to compound over early childhood. Its depressing how much of a kid's future you can predict by their performance in third grade, but thats not genetics, thats nine years of environmental factors.

We need to invest a poo poo ton more money into early childhood support, both for kids and parents.

If you're in a stressful uncertain environment with a young kid, don't despair too much though, its possible to shield your kid from a lot of the damage simply by being there for them. Where poo poo gets extremely sad is parents who give up because they don't know what to do and feel they can't help because they've been told parenting is too complicated for them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

behavior is ecological, not individual. if you frame intelligence around an idea that we can boil it down to individual difference factors like genetics or iq or whatever in the first place, you've lost before you even got started and/or are in the business of reifying liberal ideology.

Ecologies are made up of individuals, you need a framework that addresses individuals *currently* being hosed by the system. A thing that can be done for the people *currently* being written off as garbage is to reassure them that they can be effective parents even in bad situations, and that the simple act of trying to be there for their kids does actually count for something. The way you sell that concept to metrics obsessed policy people is with fancy terms like 'epigenetics' because, unfortunately, reality is presently an unkind place.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

The downfall of education is complicated but a lot has also to do with the crime scares and suburbanization of the 80/90s and kids being fed to private /charter school with "gifted/genius programs", Waldorf schools, and other junk which took a lot of funding out of public schools.

Bad parenting is pretty bad now with parents expecting everyone but them to do the parenting so you end up with uncontrollable kids.

Gifted programs are a scam that deprives everyone else not on the right 'track' of peer role models while *also* loving up the socialization of the 'gifted' kids. Destroy all gifted programs, ban all charters

Parents would, in general, like to do better but have been led to believe that they aren't fit for the task. They aren't (usually) offloading on to others because they don't want to do it, they are offloading because society has convinced them they are either incapable of doing a good job *or* that time spent with their kids is time they should be spending on earning money instead. Don't blame parents for growing up in hell world and not being properly equipped to be parents.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DrPossum posted:

:wrong: I am most definitely whatever the thing in my avatar is

Its a capybara

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

waves are made of individual water molecules, but that doesn't mean you're going to understand their behavior by studying their individual differences. you can sell people on epigenetics and iq and evolutionary psychology all you want, but you're selling them on ideology, not scientific understanding. the reality is simply we don't understand behavior very well, not even really how to measure it, and no matter how burning the desire or great the need for an answer, it's only going to materialize through us painstakingly building up an understanding of the variables in play.

This is dumb. The basis of materialism is that people are affected by their material circumstances. Thats literally all 'epigenetics' means: people are affected by material circumstances down to a cellular level. Environmental factors express themselves in your biology. Where do the environmental factors come from? What our society chooses to do. If you'd like to change epigenetic expressions of material circumstances, change the material circumstances. Its not complicated, theres no need to invoke mysticism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DrPossum posted:

is it like a dog or something?

Its a south american giant rodent, about the size of a medium dog, yeah. They're very chill

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lessail posted:

so we got ignoring eugenics and religion as reason why the left has failed

can we get not wearing the stars and stripes for the trifecta?????

Deliberately ignoring simple ideas in favor of jumping to the worst possible conclusion

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

epigenetics is a non genetic change in how genes express themselves. this can be a lot of things, but it always happens at a specific scale: the cellular scale, as opposed to the individual scale or the ecological scale. it's orthogonal to behavior. it doesn't mean that behavior is epigenetic or has an epigenetic basis. behavior is ecological in the sense that it's acting on relations between animal and environment (e.g., if you want to cross the road in traffic, you'll want to keep your perception of an oncoming car's growth in size relative to your visual field small enough to make it across in time) and if we want to understand behavior, we need to study these relations, not individual differences like genes or gene expressions. there's nothing mystical about that.

We all know that health and stress have no effect on how individuals behave, and that individual behavior has no effect on greater societal trends.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium: Studying links between pollution and health later in life has no basis in any serious study of human ecology! Its not like a chronically sick population behaves any differently in the great flowing wave of life.

E: Now consider a spherical human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Maed posted:

he doesn't know what epigenetics is, it's things that happen to DNA like methylation that can change gene expression, for some reason people started using it to try to refer to everything outside genetics for some odd reason, I blame libs

What do people think epigenetics is? I'm using it to refer to the idea that exposure to stress creates chemicals that negatively affect development via gene expression, and that the net effect of swimming around in stress chemicals is more significant than any inheritable genetic factors, likely to the point where inheritable intelligence isn't even worth seriously talking about by comparison. And people should be happy about that, because the solution is to just give people material aid and comfort and reduce the amount of poo poo they have to juggle, no eugenics required. Its biological affirmation that when you improve someone's material circumstances you improve their functioning as a person. People not raised in a toxic cesspit tend to get sick less often as adults, kids who aren't worried about their next meal tend to be brighter. The policy world still thinks this stuff is magic, but thats because theyre morons. Whats this thread's excuse?