Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
so does the FDIC have a ton of discretion to choose how it uses the premiums bank pay into it? I always thought their mandate was pretty much set, but maybe they can just decide "lol all deposits are covered for now, because we can"????

FDIC understanders, please explain

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's been an honor,

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I use credit cards for everything because the government will bail out banks before it bails out me!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

coelomate posted:

Honestly you could argue First Republic (shareholders) got the best NotABailout deal here. The new lending facility is gonna fix a lot of their problems, which should make their stock soar?

yeah the depositor backstopping is a de facto bailout for the at-risk banks that haven't failed yet

I still don't understand where the money is coming from or how it works legally lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

what did your emails tonight say lol

a task force has been established and webinars are being prepared

lmao.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I'm not a banker but it seems like if the FDIC is now insuring all deposits no matter how big then it's basically a blank check to do whatever no matter how risky. A billion dollars of deposits to speculate in PonziCoin? Why not you already got preemptively bailed out

the insurance is covered by premiums which are paid by banks

I can't imagine the huge banks are particularly happy about their insurance pool thinning out and going to cover all of these feeble competitors who were snatching up their high-return clients already. The FDIC assessments on banks will almost necessarily have to increase.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

buy high, sell sober

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Woke Mind Virus posted:

So if the paper loss on treasuries for SVB isn't real anymore because they can get new loans from the fed, then why exactly are the shareholders screwed? Isn't this company worth something again?

the company is already gone. it doesn't exist. The feds have their money and their executives are preparing to be sued into the ground. it died so quickly that even people with short positions are scrambling to try to get their money

only depositors can access the loan money, and the FDIC is running those deposits now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Faceripper incoming! SPY to 420! 10 more points for every failed bank! Roll out the public trough!!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

coelomate posted:

sure they can. One of the major risks to raising rates too much or too quickly was the unrealized losses that would pile up on bank balance sheets.

As of Sunday March 12th, there's no such thing as an unrealized loss on a bank's balance sheet due to interest rate moves - they can immediate cash against them at their old value. It's effectively a 600 billion dollar stimulus lmao just lmao.

jpow could set rates to 25% tomorrow and the banks wouldn't blow up :toot:

the bank has to go broke and get taken over by the government for it to happen, the bankers themselves still lose all their money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

if nothing matter

and nothing is real

can i have a billion dollars

i got an idea

You could have... but then the Fed raised rates!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

If having multiple veterans on your board isn't a cause for concern then I don't know what is!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sweeden:

South Korea:

France:

Italy:

Japan:

These aren't real lunches from those countries

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

reading the tea leaves, i'm not hearing poo poo from any companies i applied to and/or have been having conversations with, so those companies must still be hosed in some way

I doubt theyre going to hire anyone until they feel secure that a massive bank run isn't ongoing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

the ghee and oil in that recipe is 450cals per person lol.

the mutton is another 600 and rice 220.

so nearly 1300 cals right out the gate, more than two Big Macs.

Goddamn I could go for some of that right now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what actually happened today

Bank stocks dropped like a rock, VCs and startups successfully got their money out of the two bank corpses

Thats about it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

there's almost nothing i can really do aside from get some poo poo rear end job or pivot careers entirely, but anything i'd probably want to do would not be particularly viable unless i wanted to leech off my spouse's income. while on paper i can fill one of probably three or four different roles right now which does open up my options, the competition wipes out that opportunity unless i magically get lucky over the coming weeks and one of these places actually wants me (and isn't doomed)

i *might* be able to get some kind of IT job in philly's government, but their hiring systems are an absolute disaster from what information i've gathered

Probably just gotta keep plugging away knowing that it's going to be an extremely bad week for hiring

Maybe take a couple days hiking or something to get away from hellworld for a bit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

incredibly funny that a meme run on stocks lead to the finacialization of this thread is also being used to crash actual banks by VC lmao.

Anyway does anybody have a summary of what kind of bailout SVB is getting? I hear people saying THIS WILL HE USED TO MAKE SURE EMPLOYEES FET PAID WHILE PUNISHING THE BANK but everyone is going to say that because bailing out bank executives is probably the single least popular action in the country

The bank is already dead, only the depositors get the bailout out of FDIC funds. So it's more of a VC/startup bailout than a bank bailout. All the SVB bank execs are probably going to get sued into the ground by the shareholders who lost everything within 24 hours. In any case they don't have a job anymore. Other banks could still suffer a similar fate since the FDIC is backstopping people who made deposits but not the banks and their own assets and investments.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

my partner eats granny smiths

literally doesn't like sweet apples for eating at all

Sever

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

1000 posts per day what the hell

The bank runs have everyone's appetites going crazy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

braeburns were $.49/lb yesterday & I got 2 for $.30.

Two apples for 30 cents doesn't even sound like a real idea anymore, it's like something out of a period drama

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
"Just today I gave the local grocery three shiny dimes and he handed me two crisp apples" - something a dementia patient repeats to themselves as their family cries in the other room

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

they're genetically engineered to have massive cells filled with hfcs

Theyre putting FRUCTOSE in the drat FRUITS!

Sickening!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

they're genetically engineered to have massive cells filled with hfcs

Actually I'm not done with this post yet. Describing regular cultivar breeding as "genetic engineering" is also dumbass bullshit. Thats just basic agriculture.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Im the little wheelchair guy riding the """"pizza""""

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

punished milkman posted:

genetic engineering is also good and owns

Yes

Too bad about the capitalism though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Healthy young apple cultivar goes to botanist, gets pumped with massive shot of many sugars, doesn't feel good and changes - FRANKENFRUIT. Many such cases!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Studio apartments but worse and more expensive

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

you know what's really hosed up? they didn't genetically engineer the grapple to be half Apple half grape... they just soaked it in grape soda flavoring

also it's hosed up they pronounce it "grape-le" and not "grapple." wtf

Its no pluerry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

applerankings.com says you have mislead me

This is certainly a website

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can’t wait for the CPI report tomorrow lol

6%, down slightly from January, stocks rip upwards because it moved slightly in the correct direction.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember for tomorrow. It will be weighted less now. But an increase is an increase.
https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1633110490753712128?t=FnVcueYy9MvhD92gX9uqMA&s=19

Meh, dead car bounce

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

caelxii posted:

lol USAA hasn't sent me poo poo. Guess they're above all that.

All the local/regional CA banking institutions are panicking because their customers are fleeing like rats from a sinking armada.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

yup. and also the entry-level MSRP market (16-22k) is dead

We got a 2015 Prius brand new for ~$20,000 in 2016. Hopefully it'll last until we die.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

The preferred use case for the metaverse is that you'll log into your Meta office from your physical office. That way both real and virtual commercial landlords get their taste

Sick, hosed up poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Lol they had to do a lot of Photoshop to SBF's hideous golem face

This counts as antisemitism due to the myth of the golem

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Late afternoon rally! Number is unbeatable!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Imagine being the CFO of SVB, just recently fired and seeing Cathie loving Woods ravaging the corpse of your bank

If that CFO had been even borderline competent the bank wouldn't have gone under. There was no structural reason it had to happen. They were just really loving bad at investing their prestigious bank's plentiful assets and managed to inflict enough damage on themselves to trigger a panic.

The myth of the meritocracy must surely be dead by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cool