Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So did that guy who bought sbv stock make the right call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

No. SVB is dead. Their stock is worth $0.00.

Good

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao just remembered that extended SNAP benefits ended last week because they just couldn't find the money to keep it going

:rubby:

Bitcoin just spiked like 10 percent because the highly paid silicon valley employees who are absolutely driving inflation in housing, cars etc (despite producing nothing tangible like food or car parts) immediately started speculating with their money again

Gonna love seeing more demand for unemployment, but for poors only, by Money Experts this summer

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

lol they just gave them free money ?

Just sell all your toxic assets to the fed at 2-3x their actual value and use it to buy non toxic assets. That's increasing liquidity in the market baby!!! Not a bailout!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

People at my work are starting to talk and get antsy about this. I can overhear them saying ALL banks are having runs and are failing and people need to get their money out now.

Should be interesting to see if they do this.

so what you're saying is it's time to put a big order of legos on my credit card

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

In Training posted:

What is even prompting these sell offs. SVB got bailed out in like 24 hours, why would anybody be afraid of bank liquidity at this point.

the shareholders didn't get bailed out. so what you want to do is take all your money out of owning companies and instead just deposit all that money with the company without worrying you can lose it, because the fed has now said you can't

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what's this? ?? i'm getting word that the fed is going to backstop all stock ownership so that no losses can happen if the share price drops?? ok panic is over now im sure

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

The federal government paused screening for Medicaid qualification in March 2020 as part of a package of emergency pandemic measures. But those rules expire this year after several extensions, meaning states can resume evaluating whether residents are eligible for coverage as of April 1. The Kaiser Family Foundation has predicted that anywhere from 5.3 million to 14.2 million Americans could lose insurance in the process, though some could transfer to Affordable Care Act programs or employer-sponsored plans, if available.

(also lol that 20 percent of NY state's budget goes toward medicaid)

this goes way back but wasn't one of the big things about ppaca and the court case that the expanded medicaid could really impact state finances and that's why a bunch of them sued to get rid of the mandate? There was some sort of grant money to fund medicaid but no guarantee it would exist in the future.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

applerankings.com says you have mislead me

also it says there is a ludacrisp apple

Genius apple name

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
All I know is that red delicious is garbage cardboard promoted by Big Apple through brainwashing impressionable children into thinking it's what apples should look like (square , ugly)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

It's fun how everything is going to absolute poo poo well before the economy is actually in recession. All the big brain optimist economists keep screaming that there's no recession but, like, it'd almost be better if we were there already. Endless inflation, consumer credit spiraling out of control, bank failures, loan delinquencies, and all this is just the pre-show.

Haven't we been in recession for 2 or 3 quarters now but the institutions changed the definitions because of being scared of Trump 24

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

The definition of a recession is basically that NBER reads the entrails and decides that we're in one, but you generally need a couple quarters of negative growth alongside rising unemployment so probably not. If the fed can't break the labor market then they probably don't have to ever admit that the economy is in recession.

Weird, I thought it was just negative gdp and employment was irrelevant.

Ah well might as well spend the rest of my life being on team bad guy banks since it's the only way to pay the bills

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

The rest of the world runs like that

The fools! That's why they'll never be #1

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

jesus christ, if this ain't exhibit a in why the twitter files are a public good.

lmao. fdic gonna beg the cia for a spot at the Thought Police meetings

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

jamie dimon was already part of the secret working groups with the government that were determining speech that "undermined" our country's fine institutions & thus needed to be censored.

that rules

bankers participating in a shadowy cabal? true but also hate speech.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why are you guys all panting over that Thomas Massie guy. He sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

if a republican quotes a democrat saying something bad, the republican's badness undoes the democrat's and makes the statement/policy good and it has to now be defended

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
look, its really important that people not have food stamps. and also that derivative shares of stolen nazi gold be honored in full after it was lent out foolishly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

It drives me absolutely apoplectic when I ask for it to depict any historical period I know a good deal about because so much is wrong in very simple ways that you could tell an artist about, or provide reference material to. It does give me a deeper appreciation for history illustrators like Angus McBride though.

The same is true if you know art history because (obviously) it doesn't understand artist or genre, it's just pastiche. Like ChatGPT is "literature" for people who don't like to read, AI creates "art" for people who don't like art.

When it first came out I asked it for a recap of catch 22 and it said yossarian is a pilot. It's kind of impressive in how it'll get the broad strokes right then instantly go off the rails with pretty obvious stuff.

Like if you ask it what products a company makes it'll get one right then make up some other ones. Mystifying

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the popes toes posted:

So what is it, exactly, that bank risk management types actually do?

Cocaine

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Junkiebev posted:

I mean, either way, it makes TARP sound quaint as gently caress like grandpa talking about five cent candy bars

The TARP originally authorized expenditures of $700 billion. The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 created the TARP. The Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, signed into law in 2010, reduced the amount authorized to $475 billion. By October 11, 2012, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) stated that total disbursements would be $431 billion, and estimated the total cost, including grants for mortgage programs that have not yet been made, would be $24 billion.[1]

lmao it was so cheap in hindsight, inflation jokes aside

Casey Finnigan posted:

didn't south korea just have another scandal where it turned out that yet another weird mystical shaman was running a major part of their country

as long as they don't do more human sacrifices by sinking ferries, and also do keep making kick rear end movies like alienoid, all is well no matter how many shamans are around

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Casey Finnigan posted:

i love this poo poo cause what are we working such long hours for in the usa. we don't make poo poo. we don't produce anything worthwhile. only poo poo we make is apps and they all suck

The mRNA stuff coming online so fast after years of being ignored was a good example of how bad we prioritize things

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonsense posted:

paid time off isn't a law. make it a law, or don't, whatever

Illinois just did, goes into effect next year. It doesn't help gig or contract workers for poo poo though, just like the Chicago ordinance doesn't. It would be better to just have it accrue as extra pay you're due and then you just take unpaid time off when needed

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

webcams for christ posted:

WSJ reporting the SNB had to provide another 100 Billion to lube the deal up

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1637498566015950854

Why did the Saudis do that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Its going to be really funny when a bank fails in like, France, who can't just issue infinite printed money to backstop it and instead will have to do what, issue 10% interest govt bonds and raise taxes later?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

webcams for christ posted:

it's extremely ominous. but the CS bailout/merger was more preemptive, and the assets are not toxic like the MBS were. it was a crisis of leadership and confidence resulting in massive capital outflows and a looming liquidity crunch. CS was never at any time underwater wrt to assets : deposits

The banks in 08 weren't underwater either until finally forced to mark their assets to the real values

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rectal Death Adept posted:

the people that think that aren't buying bitcoin or they are of the variety that has such a surface level understanding of currency and cryptocurrency that they believe the propaganda

Bitcoin's price is going up because Silicon Valley and two crypto banks were bailed out. It's a celebration by bitcoin true believers, not a sign that Bitcoin is being considered a real and true store of value over the dollar.

Most preppers into precious metals that think the dollar is doomed are buying silver in 1 ounce rounds, copper by the pound or barter goods like alcohol.

I doubt this is normal but my dad's a prepper, has investments in silver, buried gold, Bitcoin, ammo, solar, sheep, and thousands of pounds of lentils (he has river & creek access on the farm as well for water). He's also invited a few dozen locals to the compound including doctors and has plans to block/destroy nearby bridges

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does he live in waco texas by any chance

If only

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Prediction: money printer solves the crisis of the rich crying about the lack of money printer

Life progressively gets worse for everyone slowly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

post the zoom link so that 40 goons can watch what happens

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Orvin posted:

One of my coworkers had a two flat in Chicago, and did Air B&B for the second floor for awhile. He wouldn’t let anyone rent for over 2 weeks, as he didn’t want to come anywhere near the one month tenants rights thing. And that was like 5 years ago.

The funny part is thats not how things work in Chicago and the second you have someone in an Airbnb there they can live there for free forever if they know what they're doing (no one knows what they're doing). The police/sheriffs will just say go to court about it we're not gonna give a poo poo

Although the really aggressive ones eventually end up with criminal charges but I'm not sure how that actually goes down
https://www.beverlyreview.net/news/community_news/article_d36c3ed8-a2cc-11e7-8acb-abf72f31d15d.html
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/second-man-convicted-of-felony-charges-in-squatter-scheme

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Mar 21, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

not allowing landlords to have the power to physically evict people idea is a good idea

Landlords should have to have mandatory CLEs about how they aren't allowed to change the locks, cut off utilities, keep client deposits in their own accounts instead of commingling etc

My dad took huge advantage of his tenant one year, the guy just wanted to have a couple hundred chickens and my dad tricked him into delivering some lambs in the dead of winter when it hit -30F. I would have said gently caress off . Eventually that guy moved out
His new tenant is a hot hippie lady who keeps a couple thousand bees on the path and it's freaky to see them swarm

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

anime was right posted:

all decisions must be made for the next quarter

And also with an eye on the next election. Can't repeat what happened almost 50 years ago! So trumps guys did mass money printing all through his term even before COVID, then bidens guys have to continue it.

I'm half convinced the reason the 08 crash was allowed to happen when it did was because everyone was sick of W and he was done with his term anyways

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/villi/status/1638047162440507395

how do you raise 50 million dollars ( and raise money three times before that) without having an idea of what you are even selling? Silicon Valley is full of idiots.

what the hell is 'pmf.' 'product market fit' does that just mean expected customers? so they're raising 30-50million without ever saying who the product is supposed to be sold to?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

skooma512 posted:

And you hardly see any media about it outside of Korea itself. IIRC the last major movie production about the Korean war was in the 70s, funded by a religious cult from Korea. You go from WW2 where were the awesome winners, and Vietnam where they kind of have to cover it to get ahead of any inconvenient narratives, but Korea is a failed war that they can safely just tuck away.

Presumably part of it is because the hero general pulled off an all time amphibious attack then absolutely hosed up and got relieved of command before he could start nuclear Armageddon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I had it down as 50/50 so not I’m not supersized

I figured he wouldnt get any money but didn't expect him to owe $300! Presumably that's her court costs ?

Time to appeal!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't know California tenant law, but in PA if they don't send you the charges + remainder of security deposit in time they lose, game over, no recourse. This is pretty loving weird. Talk to your lawyer first.

Friend of mine had a landlord say he was keeping her deposit as punishment for her moving out early , acknowledged she had found a replacement and he didn't care. No lawyer would take her case in Chicagoland

Then a few years later a light pole rusted out fell over and crushed her in the loop (unconscious, broken leg) and she's trying to sue the city with the #1 law firm but she's probably gonna lose

The law is very mysterious

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

do you get de novo appeals in CA from small claims

Can you do that anywhere in evictions/small claims?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

all civil cases in PA small claims are de novo appeals to common pleas

you don’t even have to show up you can appeal a default judgment

I haven’t don’t them for years maybe I’m wrong now

That's incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The landlord I sued was straight up reasonable compared to that

Out of curiosity, how did you collect against him? Did your lawyer handle it and just cut you a check at the end?