Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

coelomate posted:

picking up the old discussion as we parse the new not-a-bailout bailout:

I think this is kinda spot on? The fed has a dual mandate: low inflation and low unemployment.

They're gonna meet and observe low unemployment and high inflation.

Like I GUESS they might say "uh oh scared of banks going kapow" but... they acted forcefully to stop that. I'd put money on a 0.25% increase or more in 10 days TBH.

Hell yeah the Fed made up a tool to make sure that low interest rates hurt poor people while they give rich people free money.

It's the most American solution possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shipon posted:

so they're back to where they were in 1996? because every n64 game was that much lol

That's why PlayStation won. Nintendo also wouldn't show enough violence to satisfy today's depraved youth.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I mean, theoretically, at some point the massive and accelerating over corrections are going to take the decisions out of the hands of the regulators

Instead of suffering a recession in 2020 they printed infinite money to the point where they started to threaten the concept of the currency

To fix that they started jacking up rates which started wiping out their lovely unregulated banking industry

To fix that they started printing infinite money again

At some point, theoretically, either the banks can't be bailed out due to the size of their losses or money stops having any value at all once an average grocery trip costs $500 and houses cost $5,000,000 with $15,000 a month mortgages. You can keep your banks going but 90% of your populace will be starving and homeless as they still make $25,000 a year and are being charged $50,000 in rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Cars are appreciating assets now. We are already off the cliff.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It is wild that minimum wage is still $7.25. I wonder if we just never update it again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my prediction for the endgame is that the fed keeps hiking rates while keeping the money hoses flowing so that anyone other than a bank taking on debt will literally be bled white

Yeah this is exactly what they are doing. Free money for banks but try and force 10% rates for everyone else until a huge recession and mass layoffs. Intentionally.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

QE + high interest rates would definitely be something

urine one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Why is France the only country who realizes this is actually about class

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Serious question: if you are one of these dumbasses who really think hyperinflation is here and the dollar is going to turn into worthless paper, why the gently caress buy bitcoins instead of cars, houses, beans and rice

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Serious question: uhhh should I sell my stocks

Lol stocks are going to go up. They're going to have to make new numbers to describe how high stock prices are

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

Hell yeah

Can't wait to hear what the judge thinks of your landlord's insane bullshit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If the fed pauses, stocks are going to the goddam moon. You heard it here first.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

And Android

Doesn't Android still operate as their own weird little fiefdom? I've also seen grumbles that Google engineers working on the Android apps hate the engineers that work on Android the OS because they break poo poo constantly, including breaking POSIX.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

when does the house gop blow up gov over the debt limit ?

didn't you hear, we have an infinite amount of cash

the debt limit doesn't matter, they're going to just print money

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, they're just leaving it like that?

I hope it becomes a homeless encampment.

It was really cool to see Intel's future big fancy chip design center get imploded in Austin: https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2007-02-23/449480/

Amazon's gonna do that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Lol Tucker slowly crack-pinging against his will, wonder how long they keep him on the show before they get scared he flips.

Tucker Carlson is not changing anything, nor will he flip.

He's a loving Nazi. He has always wanted subsidized, protected good jobs for white christian american men. This is inline with what he has always said and done.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It's luxury because it's expensive. You have the luxury of paying $2600/mo for a 2 bedroom.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've been seeing news coverage for years that the Navy has cut back to skeleton crews all around, newer ships are designed for smaller crews, and there's just not enough sailors around anymore to maintain them.

It's weird that we keep buying these ships and making contractors rich instead of keeping more sailors around, building expertise and maintaining things.

https://gcaptain.com/us-navy-released-worst-rust-photo-to-date/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Here's more for people who don't click

https://twitter.com/manimota/status/1131343812025081856

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

what you fail to take into account is that this is balanced by all of the commodities decreasing in price such as:

All inclusive resorts in Mexico
Luxury clothing
70" TVs

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Isn't Pittsburgh the home of the famous fake Burger King?

https://twitter.com/ohip13/status/1270010175697674241?t=7IdcQ6gm6Gn0tV8s1vQxZQ&s=19

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It's moot and internet archive was always hosed because you're not able to just scan a book and let someone see it as a library.

Ebook library licenses are insanely expensive, like $100+ per copy for something you can get in hardback for $22. They tend to be limited in duration, like only 2 years, and also the Library pays extra whenever anyone checks it out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I do not believe for a single loving second that a DINK couple pulling in $300K+ a year in SF decided to move to Bozeman Montana, where they could spend that money at Walmart and nowhere else.

Housing in Bozeman is insanely expensive and even was before the pandemic kicker spike somehow, you can still fly to other places, and Bozeman is cool as hell and the kind of people would do that have expensive outdoor hobbies.

You can buy $10k carbon bikes at any bike shop in Bozeman, just like any town.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Do they repossess the Mac if you don't pay? I can't imagine they do, I bet these are unsecured.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

anyone have the tweet with the binance my_crimes.txt collage with "two eyes closed" front and center? tia

e: nm found it https://twitter.com/gf_256/status/1640616280788193280

If you barely have enough to buy an AK47 the pro move is usually an eco round where you just get a single flashbang and see if you get lucky.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Shipon posted:

that's how much two sausage biscuits, two hash browns, and a large drink at mcdonalds costs now lol

I noticed this, sausage biscuit used to be the mcdouble of the morning and now they're like $2.50 or some poo poo.

Hell, a coffee is $2 now. Was a buck forever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I think the lovely healthcare and childhood obesity also contribute here. But car accidents and violence have gotta be huge factors.

It's extremely difficult to die of obesity related disease before 40. On the other hand, Big Pun managed it.

These are deaths of violence and despair. Cars, drugs, and guns.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i am harry posted:

lmao Colorado

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

Denver is the least obese metro in the US. The most effective weight loss intervention is to move somewhere where people aren't fat. Diets universally perform the same no matter what diet you do, and they all work poorly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Actually you can see it correlates to social media use

drat anus-obsessed youth just stuff their phones everywhere.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

don't need it. americans go out with drugs, guns, or cars

We don't let 14 year olds buy drugs or drive cars, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sokani posted:

Whose apartment is down 21%? Were those same apartments up 100% the previous year?

They mean to buy the whole apartment building, not the rent that the renters pay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Are we actually getting any more EVs and batteries built here, or did it just double in price to get the same amount?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

quote:

Narrator: Super-fertile stallions like Big Star can ejaculate once a day. Theoretically, this means he could produce over $20 million worth of semen during an eight-month stud season.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

anonumos posted:

Reducing the ICE to a backup generator until we can create batteries without cobalt/etc is brilliant, which is why nobody wants to. Honestly I'd kill for a cheap (<$20k) hybrid with like 1000 miles of range.

Only 600 miles on a tank of gas, but 50mpg is pretty drat good any way you slice it and we are never going to get gas cars to 70mpg no matter what. The Corolla Hybrid got a price cut and is like $23k now: https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-corolla-hybrid-drops-price-adds-all-wheel-1849671435

The $20k car is dead and gone, nothing is going to bring it back. Inflation calculator says that 20,000 2018 dollars is $24k now, though.

This is as cheap as we are getting.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

skipmyseashells posted:

ev’s aren’t gonna happen lol, at best you goons in this thread will be discussing new car prices in a decade while everybody who isn’t a computer toucher struggles with what’s left of the used car market

I bet that efficient entry level gas cars straight up will not depreciate if you go buy one new. Somebody said the Kia Rio still exists, it you can get a new car for $16k you'll be able to sell it for $20k with 80,000 miles on it in a few years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

anime was right posted:

theres no issue with trucks to move goods to storefronts from trains and stuff. or for dealing with large quantities of goods on farms. personal cars dont need to exist. very small, personal motorized vehicles for people with mobility issues can exist on sidewalks.

I would really like if those trucks went gas rather than diesel, although local delivery seems EV friendly too.

Diesel exhaust loving sucks and even modern complex emissions systems aren't great.

It can be done, if a school bus can be gas then a box truck can be gas.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180410006595/en/Blue-Bird-Sells-Its-2500th-Gasoline-Powered-School-Bus

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

We had a similar situation near the end of last year. We knew we wouldn't make it, but it was the only car they had and we let the counter person lie to us about range so we could call Hertz two-thirds of the way there and complain enough to get them to let us drop the car off at a different location and upgrade for free.

Miserable car, miserable driving experience.

I wonder if Tesla accounted for the brand damage that being the cheapest, shittiest car at a rental counter that's useless for about half of rental car usage would cause.

When I'm renting a car, it's usually because I've got some serious driving to do at whatever destination.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tiny houses like that are a great metaphor for where we are as a society: luxury bullshit finishes with no foundation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ArmZ posted:

hmm its almost like retail banking should be considered a public good :thunkher:

God I would love postal banking. Why can't we have good things?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

shooter was a bank employee

articles about the shooting helpfully include two photos of him that allow you to calibrate or recalibrate your emotions accordingly

https://twitter.com/zackfox/status/1036389932854652928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the feds added sesame to the list of major allergens (you know, tree nuts peanuts, shellfish, wheat, etc.) and the entire food industry decided that rather than take steps to avoid cross-contamination, they were just going to add sesame flour to foods that didn't have sesame flour before so they could legally put it on the label

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/04/11/sesame-allergy-law-consequences/

capital always finds the shortest path

Our younger kid has multiple food allergies and it is loving hell. I wish we know what the gently caress was causing them, because our older isn't allergic to anything and they were treated basically the same.

This loving sucks. Our kid is allergic to oat, which is not on the major allergen list but also not in that many processed foods yet, and if they added oat and then suddenly everything had oat I would pull my hair out.