Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

lmao no way, wtf?

Do No Evil :twisted:
New motto: "Evil Always Finds a Way"

https://i.imgur.com/IExrnXk.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

George H.W. oval office posted:

It's very cool the apartment I live in is a "luxury apartment" that doesn't even have a real vent exhaust over the stove and instead just blows straight up onto the cabinets and to the ceiling. Greasy cabinets and a grease stain on the ceiling. $2200\mo for this poo poo lol.
I had the same problem and described wanting an exhaust over the stove, only to be told by extended family not to install one because they're not in style ("vents are out"). :confused:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

our tech overlords have reimagined taxis, juicers, blood tests, commercial real estate, and tunnels —— now they have come for roller skates

https://twitter.com/therundownai/status/1639691524471439362
The AI Wallet Inspector will tell you how to better spend your money. By tracking your every transaction it will adapt to you and maybe even make a few for you!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

anime was right posted:

dopamine slot machine slash half your brain on a little box
filing this for my street mutterings

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Rushing to "assist" a traffic stop and minor tickets must be the one simple trick to grab more OT

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

is pepsi ok posted:

It is very annoying that the common understanding of that book is that communism and mass surveillance is bad when the real message is that controlling language is controlling thought, which is exactly what is happening to us.
Actually it's about how Stalin is a jerk

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

shackleford posted:

https://twitter.com/markasaurus/status/1646555788222304258

lmao city planning departments hate this one weird trick

quote:

If zoning is silent on something, that means you can do it. Like, sorry, too late… They never explicitly prohibited multiple towers because nobody has ever proposed it before. If they want to pass a new rule or ordinance to prohibit more than one tower, then they can do that. But they don’t have that rule right now.
One simple trick

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

the people who this would apply to literally cannot work . which is why they get benefits
They think all those people are faking as long as they can stand on two feet unassisted for more than 5 minutes. Or that legally blind people could still sort nuts and bolts by hand and therefore need to get back to work.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Nonsense posted:

they weren't paid. no laws broken.
Apparently not

Edit - Honestly, I suspected someone was getting cash off the books, not "bring your kids to get the work done"

Knight has issued a correction as of 15:20 on May 3, 2023

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I suppose you might say my sense of humor is a little bit... twisted

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

No, it's "for one brief moment we pretended like we gave a poo poo about what happened to people" and that's kind of a nice thought tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVjvHY111lU&t=428s

Luv da bears

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

is pepsi ok posted:

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1658632417895219203

Musk argued that tech workers—who he characterized as the “laptop class”—were unfair in demanding privileges that other people, like service workers or factory employees, could not enjoy. “You’re going to work-from-home, and you’re going to make everyone else who made your car come work in the factory? You’re going to make people who make your food that gets delivered—they can’t work from home?” Musk asked. “Does that seem morally right?”
What, you're working INSIDE an office building, while there are others working OUTSIDE in the SUN?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Justin Tyme posted:

im not even mad at that, like sure whatever divided congress, whatever, but there is a clear way out of this and the only reason it isnt being pursued is because it "seems unserious" (translation: it recognizes the rules are made up and the points don't matter, and we just can't possibly say that)

what makes me even more mad are the people who treat the national debt like household finances. it's like hiring a bunch of twelve year olds to work at NASA and they keep insisting that to get to the moon you point the rocket at it like a surface to air missile and go straight till you hit it, just complete ignorance of the system
The wisdom of the crowd says you have to launch at night when you can see the moon. Full moon, no partial, much easier to land on.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

anonumos posted:

Goddamn this is like that scene after Matt Damon's character is trapped in the oven and gets radiation sickness...the one where the robot "doctor" throws pills at him and threatens to have him arrested.
People thought this movie, where the rich keep the poor from having access to lifesaving medical care because they want it for themselves and don't want any wait, was too obvious.

Still wish we got the villain in a robot tiger body ending tho

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The Yellen who cried wolf, or "Yelewolf," for short

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It was interesting being at one friend's house where their toddler watches Nick JR and sees advertising focused on children and families (toys, diapers, snacks, vehicles with child safety features), where another friend lets their toddler watch absolute garbage on Youtube and the ads are for insurance, makeup, and pharmaceuticals. Still, they would both go into a panic when commercials started.

Web advertising is sold as being so refined but it's just spam with a cheaper price structure

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Sorry, if someone publicly complains that their card has to be swiped instead of tapped I can't take anything else about them seriously

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Can't stand it, tired of winning!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's like in Multiplicity when the clone of Michael Keaton cloned himself and the result was someone that was ... well ... you know
Presidential

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Remember, the Titanic wreckage is still actively decaying since the ocean doesn't really "preserve" anything from rust-eating bacteria. Earliest estimates are full collapse by 2030, meaning rich idiots only have so much time to race for their last chance viewing.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

millions of people go into work each day and report to something called a "scrum master" and these are supposedly serious jobs that matter. they have played us for absolute fools.

Looks serious

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

a strange fowl posted:

i got chinese takeout for the first time in like a year and the mixed vegetables were just carrot, celery and water chestnut :(
<slams fist on the counter> WHERE'S MY DELICIOUS GREEN PEA-NESS?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

My entire YouTube games feed is clogged with Hello Neighbor poo poo, Minecraft, and Roblox by default. I have to purge those videos aggressively or they keep showing up.
Is there an unsupervised toddler accessing your profile? Or have they become so powerful that the algorithm has started recommending that to adult gamers?

PS Choo-choo Charles is outside my house I gotta get out of here. but first open this mystery box of toys with wild reaction faces

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

blatman posted:

i can get behind this new app that gives out rpg quests
"I need you to remind my grandpa to take his medicine. His sleep cycle is weird so he needs to be reminded before he goes to sleep around 2AM. If he's asleep, it's okay to wake him up. Actually, you don't need to even go inside and remind him, just knock on his door real loud and shout 'DON MARRETTA SAYS TO TAKE YOUR MEDICINE" and you can leave really quick because he's a chatterer. I'm Don, btw""

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lacrosse posted:

This is 100% because Google delisted all Twitter results in search the other day. Google had a bot that relied on the API to report back posts to its search engine.
Oh, he didn't threaten to sue them for stealing their data?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
someone got too high in the gas station bathroom next door and wandered onto my employer's property screaming about knife fights while reception was having lunch outside so the cops came

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

FlapYoJacks posted:

Did he have a knife or was he just screaming about knife fights?
No weapons found and he didn't get physical, just barely coherent. Thankfully he didn't get popped

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
lotta cop-wives in the office, so it's not unexpected

little over a year ago someone shot themselves after sneaking into an empty room, just to keep this on topic for doomsday. i dont think the building is cursed (or wasn't before)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

RadiRoot posted:

an empty room like during office hours?
Yes, medical facility

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Eric Cantonese posted:

Those Chinese people are not in their 20s and 30s.
Is that what people think when they see that? I always thought it was meant to illustrate a 30-50s/60-80s split (working age vs. retirement age)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Love how fast and how public we get to watch these people make bad investments that pay off due to extremely favorable market conditions, lauding their success and drowning everyone in their bad advice (media amplifying their message), then crater their finances the moment those conditions change, and instantly turn into screeching paupers demanding the government turn them back into winners.

The American Dream

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

cool av posted:

20 eggs often my dinner
Scrambling for that diner pic from the Trump chud safari. You all know the one!

Edit

Knight has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jul 14, 2023

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Beached Whale posted:

TikTok has introduced me to a group of communal airbnb landlords

Growing food and keeping livestock - the surefire way to never work again

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep vacillating between sympathy and contempt tbh.
<Killer Mike voice>Don't get trafficked!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

selec posted:

the friendly little nod or smile or a gentle howdy is in fact something you owe society and I am not joking. you are allowed to get behind on it, but you are not allowed to opt out. we’re animals signaling, we’re just people looking to hang out and smoke a joint, small pleasantries being treated like you’re being asked to create joinder is weirdo behavior.
I think younger generations are more used to social pleasantries being weaponized against them for sales or recruiting, and since they are more frequently exposed to these attempts via electronic methods (email, text) they've been effectively trained not to respond or engage, and that carries over into real life. The more exposure you have to aggressive attempts, the more likely you are to start taking preventive measures to shield yourself (headphones, not making eye contact, etc). It's unfriendly but I understand.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what happened this time jesus christ
I think they're talking about this: https://www.syracuse.com/marijuana/2023/08/another-office-of-cannabis-management-misstep-costs-30-cannabis-businesses-a-chance-to-open.html

quote:

In the latest blow to New York’s nascent legal cannabis industry, an Ulster County judge said he will not exempt any Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary licensees from an injunction he issued on Aug. 18 because the Office of Cannabis Management failed to comply with a court order.

“It is clear to this Court upon review of the affidavits that OCM failed to comply with this Court’s Order regarding exemptions to the injunction,” Judge Kevin Bryant wrote in a decision filed Monday.
A group of veterans sued because they're special snowflakes who deserve first dibs on everything and the NY legalization specifically gives priority for dispensary licenses to people with past cannabis convictions or immediate family members with past convictions. So the judge halted all licensing for new dispensaries.

Dispensaries already licensed are still operating.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Animal-Mother posted:

Didn't this kinda already happen though? I feel like I remember something from 2021 about the middle class, as it was defined, no longer existing.
You don't remember because back then it was only a prophecy, but now, in the future, the past has occurred.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'm normalizing ova hea

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

kazmeyer posted:

Honestly there's so much of it right now it's hard to pick and choose. Just jump into r/BBBY on Reddit and prepare yourself for some high-test insanity. Right now it really hasn't set in for a lot of them because not all brokers immediately delete your cancelled shares out of your portfolio screen, so some of them are taking that to mean that the stock's still secretly active and they're waiting for their God-King Ryan Cohen (who famously lured them all in with a BBBY pump and dump a while back and made bank off these morons) to trigger the final play and make them all rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

Folding Ideas did an as-usual stellar deep dive into the situation and it's absolutely worth watching to understand the insanity.
Pro-click, watched it yesterday. I only passively caught the beginning of meme stonk poo poo and didn't know where it had lead to until seeing this and it all feels so...familiar. The shifting goal posts, decoding secret messages, self-deprecating irony poisoning as a uniform, the lingo, hodge-podge of interchangeable conspiracy theories, the growing mythology and community story-telling as entertainment, driving away spouses and family. It's always the same poo poo just pooled in different outhouses now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
You can tell by looking at his post-verdict pictures that he still doesn't believe anything is going to happen to him, just frustrated and thinking about how he's going to get out of it now.