Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Eat poo poo, banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

i gotta say it's absurd how absolutely insane tesla's share prices have gone up in only 3 years. it blew up 600% in only 3 years, or like 200% each year.

this chart exists to map the effectiveness of the fed printing money

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

yeah the depositor backstopping is a de facto bailout for the at-risk banks that haven't failed yet

I still don't understand where the money is coming from or how it works legally lmao

They'll figure out how it works after it works

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

well i feel reassured in the FDIC's claim that all deposits in banks are safe

i mean it did seem like a pretty strong declaration that wasn't even possible for the half trillion in already collapsing banks but now I feel better

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Mar 13, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the government waking biden up for this is probably a sign of how serious it is

When Russia invaded Ukraine and Afghanistan collapsed it was like 4 days before he shambled out at 4pm on a friday to mutter something

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

had a flash of clarity where i realized the next X years are just whipsawing rapidly between liquidity crises and rapid inflation, shaking society apart like a limp infant.

blasting the money printer to avoid recession so much that you threaten to destroy the concept of your currency to the point where you have to raise interest rates so high you threaten to destroy the economy you built with the printer only to have to break the printer back out to avoid a complete systemic collapse is how the economy works idiot

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

i've been asking in another thread but can someone explain how this isn't a bailout - it smells like one but apparently it isn't? (this isn't a SYQ just me trying to figure out wtf happened)

it isn't a bailout because the term has bad connotations and the government doesn't want to look bad so they are splitting hairs on the term. Like calling tax increases "fund raising" or refusing to call multiple quarters of negative growth a recession before the midterms. It's the financial equivalent of "Died with Covid not Of Covid."

debate poisoned posters seeing some technical semantics to argue about are running defense with dictionaries because they are dumb

it is a bailout

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 11:51 on Mar 13, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Brrrmph posted:

Mormon soaking isn’t sex and this isn’t a bailout

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

2008: Banks have a liquidity crisis, Fed steps in to guarantee liquidity
2023: Banks have a solvency crisis, Fed steps in to guarantee solvency

What happens now?

Buy the dip, number go up

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rolling that mummified gently caress out before the market opens is definitely reassuring

It was like a week after Russia invaded Ukraine when they got him able to talk about it. Our planes were running over desperate Afganis like 3 days before he muttered a statement.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Thirding or fourthing the "random coworkers are planning to run to the bank or atm on their break" sentiment

I doubt this is widespread enough to cause issues but liquidity at any specific bank branch is usually pretty low so there might be some stories about suburban banks turning people away at this rate

Armed robberies are probably going to go up once all the criminals figure out the Karens and Kyles will be walking around with $1000 envelopes

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

do these coworkers have like more than 250k in the bank or something. they should be fine

I think you are underestimating the stupidity of the general population

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Now that the banking industry has proven to be invincible i hope everyone bought the dip before all time highs

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I get the bailout worked today but for comedy's sake lets say that another bank fails, what would be the funniest option?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah i guess whichever fortress all of the scrooge mcduck vaults are consolidating in

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

The funniest thing would be runaway inflation imo but a smarter goon than I can prob dump cold water on its chances happening

I just mean they stopped banks from collapsing with this bluff they can somehow back the tens of trillions of account balances the rich have. It worked and they can do damage control at the two banks that actually failed while ignoring the dumbass crypto one.

It quits working when something big goes so I was curious if there was some kind of clown college banking union that could come out of nowhere with a steel chair.

It seems pretty appropriate for the times if the greatest depression kicks off with FunkoBank, a bank that stores customer deposit in Funkopops. Someone finds a shipping container full of those Chocula funkopops and wipes them out.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jizzny Princess posted:

Both of you are wrong, Pink Ladies are where it's at.

Especially in pie.

Pink lady apples? I guess it really is 1929

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hello? Operator? I'd like to take a horseless carriage to the picture show and wash it down with some pink lady apples and Louis Armstrong

get the gently caress out of here

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If you are judging your apples fairly then Fuji would never win. It's a contender but not GAOAT

you have to make sure you aren't getting super old produce since retail stores will keep things beyond the point they start rotting and apples can keep for a really long time, they just get wrinkly skin and turn hard.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

This dumb American just assumed a country solidly in Western Europe surrounded by EU members was part of it. Shows what I know. I guess they take their neutrality (or hiding certain things from the ‘40s) pretty serious.

To be fair to you Europe doesn't matter nor does anything related to it

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

make that posters a D&D mod immediately

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Our banking system being such a fragile piece of poo poo that the crime bank can knock it over wouldn't be particularly surprising, no.

when I was trying to figure out the funniest option for a surprise second bank collapse after the feds infinite money bluff on monday I wasn't accounting for international banks

Credit Suisse with the steel chair is pretty funny, it means our dictatorship like control of the finance sector used to protect the corporate oligarchy can't really do a lot as it's not within our direct control to lie about and make poo poo up over

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Mar 15, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

hope the us treasury realizes it's going to be responsible for bailing out every bank going forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX0AkD4jp64

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there is infinite money at the federal reserve

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"We decide what a recession and we are technically not in one right now"

It seems to be working for everyone so far.

"Banks collapsed, they are too big to bail out"
"Nuh Uh."
"What? There is no practical way your power or funding allows for hundreds of billions of guarantees like this."
"We decide if Guarantees are good and this is the best one that could ever be possibly made."
"There are serious concerns here about the system in how banks have allocated however much real money exists"
"Nuh Uh."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you nerds are going to start whining about AI again i'm going to go get a jump start on cardio for the bean hunts

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Awesome banks. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with the soft and safe landing. Now is not the time to panic. Wanna see how freakn' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

quit trying to gently caress banks

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

natural uranium is about as exciting as any other 10 tons of rocks, but with slightly more cancer risk

it takes a lot of industry to turn it into something more substantial than a minor regulatory headache or a clickbait headline

The clickbait headline specifies it wasn't natural uranium rocks and was already partially processed uranium ore concentrate

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

Why would Credit Suisse have to go to the Saudis and kick off this whole mess if they could just get a loan from their own government?

The amount of money involved I believe. They lost $8,000,000,000 last year after losing shitloads in the past few years. This is prompting more withdrawals from the bank which have also been accelerating in recent years. This is on top of them being criminally negligent.

It's like getting money to buy a car but still needing to ask people for money to get the car because your gambling habit comes first. Then everyone that you owe money to shows up to take back their stuff because you aren't trustworthy anymore.

Orvin posted:

Second question, is this really a loan? If things are that bad at CS, is there really any hope of paying it back? It’s kinda like giving a junkie another hit. You know they are going to just piss away this cash over time and wind up crawling back to the government for more liquidity.

It isn't about being paid back. The modern globalized banking system is a literal house of cards and it's in every participant and benefactors best interest to keep things functioning, even if it means some lost profits. Most of us with massive debt and no money hooting for collapse are the weird ones to the money havers of the world.

It's the same reason the US Government actually passed one of the most beneficial bills in decades when Covid shut down the economy.

It's why we bailed out the literal worst example of useless excess in Silicon Valley Bank.

It's why Obama bailed out and rewarded Wall Street for 2008.

If the system that gives the rich their balances is threatened it will be protected by every world government. If Credit Suisse just folded up tomorrow then the tens of trillions of fake money leveraged on top of however much money they actually had is an immediate loss in ledgers worldwide. Then those banks are in trouble. Etc.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Mar 16, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Will tomorrow bring more blood???

No one knows due to the ability of governments to just go "Nuh Uh" lately

Normally I'd say we are in trouble due to an obviously spreading banking contagion but it seems like everyone is just immediately getting promised a bailout whether it's possible or not to stamp out any instability in the system.

The system is made out of instability though so it'll either work or it won't.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol at we are going to give you 54b in emergency loans to prevent the bank from collapsing, and also no you don't have to change anything about the way you run your business that got you in your mess, and also no we won't change anything about the way we structure our business environment that got you in this mess, and also we are going to raise rates again, and so forth

the purpose of a system is what it does

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

WHERE'S MY loving MONEY JOE!? WHERE'S MY loving MONEY!

I don't have your money here ...it's in Bill's drone strikes and and Fred's jets that don't work

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
future historians gathered around barrels full of burning funkopops will tell everyone about money and how we claimed to have infinite amounts of it

"How would that work? You are just making things up old man"
"No. There was an infinite amount of money."
"That's literally impossible. I can't claim to have infinite amounts of anything"
"But if everyone collectively agreed that you could decide how many things you had you could just claim you had an infinite amount of them"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
woke up to the fed printing another 2 trillion.

I will now buy number because number must rise.

Good profits to you all. Buy TSLA.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I was promised bank death not bailouts :mad:

if it makes you feel any better steering from infinite money glitch -> raising rates -> infinite money glitch so fast means it's going to work less well this time. We got around 3 years out of the infinite money glitch but still hadn't drained all of the excess money from the economy before we started mass printing trillions again

They are honestly threatening the concept of currency at this point. If the 2020 printing wasn't enough we are now feeling 20%+ inflation they are lying about and pretending is 7% while the printer needs turned back on meaning we need to raise rates higher but banks are already collapsing due to the rates. So they need to print to bail out more banks but that causes inflation so they need to raise rates.

Not sure how much time this print cycle buys us but it's obvious no one in charge of the economy has any idea what they are doing so who knows.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How are they going to print their way out of this mess without lowering interest rates?

shut the gently caress up, freedom hater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmoeZHnOJKA&t=18s

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
um actually, it's up to 2 trillion so it's fine

:smug:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did another bank implode today?

Switzerland is airlifting 54 billion to Credit Suisse since yesterday and after the US Infinite Bailout on Monday we are now printing 2 trillion more dollars and major banks are moving to bail out specific smaller banks that are in trouble.

It'll either work or it won't but the money printer is on again so we are headed for worse inflation and higher rates.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
And YOU get a bail out
and YOU get a bail out
and YOU get a bail out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"It wasn't an infinite bailout. It is just as much money as rich people need in the worst bank that is the pinnacle of human stupidity and greed. Ya'll chumps can go gently caress yourselves."