Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Computer Serf posted:

At least with mobile homes people can own a cheap home and potentially take it with them to other land.

but then again

https://www.calearth.org/

have a buddy who is basically the general contractor for an ecovillage in MO. builds this kind of thing a lot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

jesus christ, if this ain't exhibit a in why the twitter files are a public good.

they are a public good, just not in a way their billionaire master could conceive, and also in a way none of the journalists involved can be made to understand in public. it’s a limited hangout for reactionary political goals, but that doesn’t make it uninteresting information, just information you can’t really form an accurate picture based on.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

fortunately other journos & other outlets have also exposed the censorship cabals, an inconvenient truth that does form an accurate picture and yet for some reason keeps getting ignored. :iiam:

eta: but some of those other journos are financed by pierre omidyar, another billionaire, so I guess they're sus as well.

I don’t think liberation can be born from a software platform, so ultimately my take on these programs and ideas is “bad, but also a game being played by people who think Russia posting Beefy Bernie memes was truly harmful” and so in that sense I don’t see it as much of a threat. the most powerful people in the system must be as stupid as the system demands them to be, and if they’re focusing on the wrong things, ie their twitter mentions, then let them keep staring at that.

their twitter mentions being better or worse has no material effect on me, or anyone I know, who isn’t just on Twitter for fun, the only use case for it that makes any sense.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I just think it's funny as hell that all these censorship cabals & working groups with people like jamie dimon have been exposed, thus diluting their effectiveness & secrecy even if it's by a negligible amount.

hence the public good: it amuses me.

this is a good take.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I very specifically think we should be able to prevent bank runs from being intentionally created on social media.

incitement is already speech that can be restricted.

what’s the policy to do this look like? intent is impossible to prove, Americans are always freaked out about money

and would this policy cover true but unhappy news that could cause a run?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

paradoxish is probably right, to try to stop it preventatively would make it worse.

probably the way to go would be to punish after the fact. And you’re right including intent would obviously make it toothless.

here’s an open question, will there be civil suits against say Thiel? from SVC shareholders that got wiped out.

what can they sue him for, having and sharing opinions?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

that's why the govt. is trying to rope it into a purchase by u.s. buyers rather than eradicating it outright; just think of the zoomers it can actively censor & control info for if it's not owned by a country hostile to the u.s.

if we get rid of tiktok who is doing to reveal the secret existence of giants among us

selec
Sep 6, 2003

life expectancy in the US is dropping like we just decommunized

selec
Sep 6, 2003

all ingredients from Aldi, I’m guessing maybe 6 bucks for this guy, at the high end:

Shrimp and bay scallops piggie backed on the brisket I’m doing on the smoker. Brisket was a seven dollar sale at Hy Vee, prepackaged corn beef that I just rinsed and threw on a canned rub. curious to see how it turns out. I think the old time is money thing has completely decoupled. time and money have no meaningful relationship the way they used to.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

bay scallops have a price to deliciousness ratio that makes me almost certain they must be poisoning me but that's all fish isn't it

I sautéed these in a pan after I got them to go with some penne and cream sauce and they were just ok but off the smoker they are molto tasty 🤌🏻

selec
Sep 6, 2003

married in 2011, cost us maybe 5k. did it in a state park with a beautiful Works Progress Administration shelter, catering was most expensive part. we brewed the beer for it ourselves, they drank it dry (and a few friends brought some liquor too) and the bride wore a designer wedding dress we got for free because my mom’s college roommate was the designers favorite aunt. flowers were all grown by MIL and SILs because they already have huge patches. wife supervised the baking (small bride/groom cake, cupcakes for everyone) and photographer was a friend’s mom.

Oh, and we walk down the aisle to a symphonic version of “you only live twice” because it was my second marriage and that seemed like a cool and funny song for the occasion.

selec has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Apr 18, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

just learned yesterday that dude is a columbine survivor

selec
Sep 6, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

Went to lunch at this local sub place today and had my order taken by a 10 year old.

Guess I need to start getting used to that.

just throw a used action figure from goodwill into the tip jar

selec
Sep 6, 2003

have had Covid for a week now and the worst side effect is being unable to go to Aldi. I just look at the app and sigh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

This thinking has also completely taken over politics too, both in the sense that politics is presented like a TV show and that people can only conceive of politics as interactions between notable characters.

Trump is seen as the good economy guy not because of anything he's actually done, but because that's what his character is. He's the business guy and Republicans are the economy party. Everyone knows that. Just like everyone knows the Dems are the party that cares about minorities. Their actual record on minorities is immaterial because caring about minorities is their role on the show.

The war in Ukraine isn't allowed to be placed in a historical context because that is taken as a suggestion that didn't flow entirely from Putin, the main villain of the story.

💯 the meanest thing you can do to the average American voter is remember things

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

pods hurt my delicate ears so I use an mpoww bluetooth headset that makes me look like an elderly princess leia.

I think we have the same headphones. decent bass, and cheap as hell by comparison. mine have had the external foam coating worn off from sweat because I wear them mowing/walking and I still won’t replace them until they just die. it’s been like 4 years now, incredible value as far as headphones go.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

No. It seems pretty appropriate to complain about how a thread isnt what it is supposed to be and how it isn't working right anymore in the economics thread.

the appropriate response would be to make posts that have a competitive advantage in this slack posting market, so get to it

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

The state is reliant on your support in their continuing to carry out fascist actions, and the more you conditionally support such actions the more you support fascism.

what should I do with this information, materially-speaking? not poo poo I can do, I’m not going to send money to a bail fund for fascists lol

selec
Sep 6, 2003

donating money to the J6 defense fund, but leftistly.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

im just trying to get posters to stop justifying or cheering the cop executing an unarmed woman protestor.

we could call moving away from this violent ideation a small tiny hop over the tucker carlson bar.

well you picked a really stupid hill to die on then.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

i am harry posted:

wait a minute are you talking about Babbitt?!

I love this moment for you.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I got a toilet with a built in bidet and drying fan.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the friendly little nod or smile or a gentle howdy is in fact something you owe society and I am not joking. you are allowed to get behind on it, but you are not allowed to opt out. we’re animals signaling, we’re just people looking to hang out and smoke a joint, small pleasantries being treated like you’re being asked to create joinder is weirdo behavior.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

technical consulting is just hiring people who have the knowledge you may or may not have and the time you definitely don’t have to do something you need to do.

technical consultants, at least the good ones, are industry specific. I was a database admin at a nonprofit educational company, and made a lot more money consulting for nonprofits and colleges than I ever did working for them directly. that was always what I liked in a coworker—came up in the industry they now consulted for.

management consultants are avaricious ice-chewing psychos.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lol that is nearly five times the dose I’m on, that’s a lot of loving Ozempic

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

also, lol, wonder how this effects pulmonary muscle

lol put your pants back on, the mask is slipping

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

Yep, would be nice if we could do more research into endocrine disruptors and what not but I guess that's communism or something so we can't.

if it’s Gila monster blood that ends up helping an epidemic that makes millions of people miserable, well, we might just have to accept that step on the road.

it’s cool that it’s Gila monster blood though

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I know someone who runs a library and the last time I talked to her, she told me about the two things the city was pushing her to spend most of her budget on

esports programs and AI

esports I can see—if kids who can’t afford a fast computer and connection can compete because of this program at a library, that to me is good.

Ann Arbor library will loan you out power tools, dyeing equipment, game systems, cameras, it’s really cool.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

nylabones are an incredible bargain for people who spend too much on gum. you can get by for three weeks on one, and they have lots of flavors

selec
Sep 6, 2003

you will have the opportunity to sign up to play wasteland raider as a kind of adventure vacation to actual wastelands for quite a while before you’re forced to do it in the imperial core. maybe decades.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kai Jizzwell gonna be so sad when they do the numbers

selec
Sep 6, 2003

hootington in disarray

selec
Sep 6, 2003

had a job where my two uplines were both Disney adults. just a nightmare scenario when it came to discussing anything that wasn’t strictly work-related. like talking to pod people.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

gently caress...I really like Bandcamp because you support artists directly when you buy an album (or you appear to, anyway; I'm sure Bandcamp takes a cut).

they do take a cut but it’s been reasonable. artists love bandcamp too, a lot fewer barriers between you and the audience than most other platforms, a lot greater flexibility, and their algos aren’t so rabid or effective at spotting unlicensed samples.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

My brother and his SO are hopelessly addicted to nicotine (disposable vapes and snus pouches) and it seems like it sucks rear end with no upsides

Like a "need it to get to Normal" kinda maintenance addiction with like no possibility of any wild benders or anything?

loving bullshit drug

it’s a maintainable feeling. it is a guaranteed feeling of “more normal” and relaxation, and being able to rely on that can really help with emotional regulation.

have been a non smoker and a smoker, and ultimately I can’t get up and go walk around the block during a meeting where someone is saying dumb poo poo, but I can vape a little and rely on the predictable reaction my body has. would be great to not have to or not want to, but of all the bad habits people form to emotionally regulate it’s pretty far down the list, imo.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I can see it from that angle, yeah

Easier than ever to maintain due to the prevalence of vaping now I suppose but it still sorta seems like a pain in the rear end since people are starting to get touchy about when/where you can use a vape

we never discussed it as a society, but I’ve never seen anyone vape on a zoom call. it’s just inherently understood to be uncouth, despite all of us being in our own homes.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

and I think the scary side effects only happen if despite the medication you continue to overeat as your body can no longer process that much garbage

Ozempic scare stories fall in two categories that I’ve seen:

1. Bad side effects are possible, but when you dig in the side effects are still very, very rare and/or based on a much higher dosage than is standard (one I saw on here was about people on a dosage FIFTEEN TIMES HIGHER than the pretty standard dosage I take once a week.

2. they are not complying. your body will tell you in no uncertain terms that you hosed up. my worst night on Ozempic came from eating a Schwarma at 9pm. sucked, but I learned from one experience to not eat like a moron or that will happen. you will pay a price if you don’t get into a schedule and diet that makes sense. you have to work with what your body wants now, which is wildly different than what it wanted before, and that learning curve can be difficult.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bixington posted:

Why not just get some speed or coke and not only enjoy your appetite suppressant but also get more poo poo done faster?

I’m drinking coffee and I’m too old to develop any new weird habits.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

read in GANGSTERS OF CAPITALISM they would fill up trucks with laborer corpses and dudes would just see their dead co-workers trucked off at the end of every day.

like buy more trucks? hello dummies, if you need a deeper canal just buy more trucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I got a chinese place here where I can get a lunch combo for 8.50 still. food is much better and less expensive than Wendy’s or McDonalds at this point.