Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If this guy did nothing he would have all his money but instead he bought SVB shares, while contributing to the collapse of SVB, at 1:30 on Thursday because the SVB CEO "is a great guy"

https://twitter.com/torrenegra/status/1634573234187407369?t=_XpBrWHfJdnXY8zt81Qb-w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

So if the paper loss on treasuries for SVB isn't real anymore because they can get new loans from the fed, then why exactly are the shareholders screwed? Isn't this company worth something again?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Hot drat! posted:

That subreddit is home to a literal financial cult based on GameStop stock btw

Kind of embarassing

not an argument

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

The bank was shut down and replaced by a nee entity under FDIC control. Shares in the old entity became worthless.

Rigged.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Lmao the market doesn't even care

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

buy the DIP

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i got schwab accounts i'm gonna do a bank run

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol you guys should switch to IB as your trading platform

i'm gonna move all my money to robinhood to be safe from traditional banks

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can't believe Biden's panic speech didn't save us

it just dawned on me that they sent him out there before markets open. lmao.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

whole lot of FUD misinformation out there. Stay the course. Buy the freaking DIP

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

CPI tomorrow morning. They have got to massage it.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

still seething about this

the man knows how to use a good crisis

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

shut up and buy $GME and $AMC

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Elon Musk and George Pataki?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

dew worm posted:

The Fed probably anticipated something like this happening so I don't know why everyone is so sure they will slash interest rates. Unless it's just the mounting pressure.

it's very easy for me, an idiot, to see how someone intelligent could've seen this coming ahead of time. but i'm not sure what that has to do with the fed.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

can banks buy treasuries on the secondary market to abuse this? buy some 1000 dollar 20 yr bond that has 18 years until maturity for 700 dollars and then just give it to the fed for a free 300 dollar loan?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i bought a put last time this stupid thing predicted a crash and got rinsed. not again!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

the bank was literally too woke

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

if they called that lunchable charcuterie you'd be paying 15 dollars for it as an appetizer. stop being picky!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Mirthless posted:

I wonder how theyre gonna meet the veg requirement. Replacing the smaller than fun size candy with carrot sticks? Will be shocked if the meal busts 200 calories

baked beans

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

if you loan those grapes to the fed they will value it at 4 cups therefore it's 4 cups

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sweeden:

South Korea:

France:

Italy:

Japan:

India:

China:

can we add these to the OP?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

coelomate posted:

3:

1. Silvergate (mid last week)
2. Silicon Valley Bank (friday mid-day)
3. Signature (failure came alongside the bailout announcement Sunday)

A few are looking wobbly but we aren't sure if they're seeing runs or will weather the storm with the fancy new programs announced Sunday (BTFP)

so Schwab went down cause it begins with S

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

less than 24 hours from bailout to layoffs

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

How many banks does 1 country need?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Radirot posted:

We need more monopolies

These guys aren't doing anything more than dropshipping Fannie may mortgages

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

CPI number is gonna be mild because it has to be. Everything has led up to this point. They will massage it until their hands fall off.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

he raised rates fast enough that he blew up the banks long term holdings but slow enough that shelter is uneffected. maybe there's something else we could do?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Is one of these numbers bothering you? If so, just pick another one! easy peasy.
CPI
CORE
CORE +
CORE LESS THAN SHELTER
SUPERCORE

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

these are the top academics in economics, finding a problem they don't know the answer to and just shrugging their shoulders. lmao.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Pretty cool that this is gonna get ignored cause it's Tom Massie (moron) and TWITTER FILES PART 69: The Biden Campaign asked Woke Twitter employees to censor pictures of Hunter's Hog.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol wouldn't it be bad if everyone expects no raised rates and then rates get raised

that would be good news because then the rate increases will be over after that

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Green by close

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

buy that DIP

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Larry Fink
Bob Diamond
Joe Gentile
Sam Bankman

Gustavo Burger
https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1636001078532620289

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't think the banks are strong like some claim if rate hikes have to be paused or even cut

wrong. they are strong

HallelujahLee posted:

their very strong and stable

Exactly.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Awesome banks. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with the soft and safe landing. Now is not the time to panic. Wanna see how freakn' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

triple sulk posted:

finma balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

It's because information (especially doomer poo poo) spreads like wildfire these days, thanks to social media. So frequent announcements are needed in order to balance out the constant "omg is everything collapsing???" tweets like this one:

this has 1600 likes.

also I don't keep tabs of the 2 yr yield but this sounds right?