Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vox Nihili posted:

so does the FDIC have a ton of discretion to choose how it uses the premiums bank pay into it? I always thought their mandate was pretty much set, but maybe they can just decide "lol all deposits are covered for now, because we can"????

FDIC understanders, please explain

I'm sure the banks paying into the FDIC, all were begging them to do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I use credit cards for everything because the government will bail out banks before it bails out me!

When you think about it, everyone should rack up tons of debt, as much as they can, then just take bankruptcy. The greatest of gently caress Yous to Capital!

(I'm not being serious... I think...) :thunk:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

The bank was shut down and replaced by a nee entity under FDIC control. Shares in the old entity became worthless.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

So

A. FDIC is unlimited insuring everyone regardless of deposit level, we are literally printing infinite money

B. This infinite insurance gets rolled back at some point, people go "Oh gently caress the government is in serious trouble" and we get a mass panic

At least until China stops funding our spending; then all bets are off!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Come the gently caress on China, liquidate them all!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Was a rough night because my kids kept waking up, but this sure is making up for it!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

anyone in dnd discord should be immediately jailed for life

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Gonna have to change my Ukraine one to this, thanks!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How is this motherfucker going to survive the 2024 election season?

People love zombies.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

lmao

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

20 pieces of penne: a meal fit for The Big Show.

Maybe the penne is made from chickpeas

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

God drat, they're really going to do Pottervilles

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every time it seems like the house of cards is collapsing the morons running the economy are like "check this poo poo out" and pull out a dozen more cards from the bottom and somehow that stabilizes it for another 6 months

One simple trick to keep the economy humming!

Edit:

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

:goonsay: I strolled through the soda aisle this morning, and sweet sugary death is now up to $8 per 12-pack, up from $7 a month ago.

Yeah, I can’t even afford my delicious Dr Pepper Strawberries & Creme now!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kelly is just lucky he recently won re-election.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress, stop teasing me with a good time

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Crash already you gently caress!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Please do not invade BFC. 🙏

Don’t worry, this thread is 100% more awesome, with 100% less baby BJ fans in it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

You should be dipping your fries in fry sauce anyways.

FTFY

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Some say it’s too woke, while others say it is not woke enough

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ha ha ha ha!

He has no power here!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Never trust anyone that wears a bow tie

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

there's pretty much no to little historic precedent for a city being instantly shutoff. all those famed abandoned cities like Angkor, Mesa Verde, or Sumarian empire and stuff, being snuffed out in an instant doesn't happen. it's just slowly ratcheted downward one problem at a time until hundreds of years later, there's no one except a small handful of people living there. the closest you probably would find is something like serbian war and even then that was still slow and still receiving supplies.

there's an interesting paper on Angkor Wat in particular that came out recently: https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073/pnas.1821879116

that said, we're in very interesting times because of how absolutely dependent we are on modern mega-agriculture fueled by immense unholy amounts of fossil fuels to keep it going. there's no naturally fertile land anymore, very few places with natural consistent irrigation, there's almost no large animals and sea life to hunt anymore, and the amount of land (and labor) it takes to grow food without fossil fuels is loving massive. people hugely misunderestimate how much land is needed to grow enough food for even a family, let alone 100s of people. and, always one disaster away from starving.

but likewise it's not as if our grotesque addiction to oil will shutoff overnight either. instead it'll be ratcheted downward, unwillingly, one disaster at a time.

Then again: Pompeii. Check-loving-mate. :colbert:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Jesus Christ, though not surprising coming from the company that monetized plane life safety in the first place.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

actionjackson posted:

just got a new job :hellyeah:

remote doing biostatistical consulting for academia

congrats! and sounds interesting?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Amazon stopped construction on their HQ2 in Virginia lol

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/4/23624965/amazon-suspends-hq2-construction-headquarters-virginia

I hope they never start again and it rots into the earth like all those lovely speculative housing developments in 2008 Arizona.

Um, so the Amazon HQ stuff is old-ish news, but regarding that speculative housing in AZ… most of it was completed (by the banks), sold by the banks (for a profit) or otherwise rented for awhile (at a profit) and then sold as the market rebounded (for a major profit), usually by the banks.

Very little in AZ actually was left to rot, because the banks happily went after everyone’s assets where they could.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Yea but they're all owned by gun channel youtubers.

And a few, I assume, are owned by TFRers.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

why does the working class, the larger of the two classes, not simply eat the rich?

Too much saturated fat.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

This is doomsday economics, not loving D&D

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

cmon man recognize a funny quote for once in your life

gently caress, lol. I just need to go to bed. Three young kids is really killing the brain cells

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Xaris posted:

and yeah just making content, that isn't posting/writing (and even then) is huge. there's probably a ton of good civil engineering/foundation/soil stabilization content i could make and would like but between already doing 50 hours a week of poo poo at work, cleaning up, walking dog, making dinner, then lightly shitposting for a bit, there ain't any time left in the day

Yeah, I keep telling myself I’ll actually use my CFD software more significantly to get my side consulting gig going more, but with young kids and normal job stuff, there just isn’t time.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i was informed at a dinner party after having already eaten quite a bit that we were being fed wildly collected mushrooms and I felt more unsafe at that dinner than I would at a meth lab

I live in (illogical) constant fear of accidental death cap consumption

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Badgers burrowing below railway tracks have wreaked havoc on train services in the Netherlands, causing cancellations and line closures.

Trains in the north and south of the country have been affected, with some services halted for at least a week.

The line between Den Bosch and Boxtel in the south was closed on Tuesday after the mammals dug under the tracks.

Officials said it was not clear how long the problem would continue as badgers were a protected species.

the train unions should adopt the badger as their mascot

Canned Sunshine has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Mar 22, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Worth reminding people that it takes years to build a single warship no matter how many you can queue up in a turn in grand strategy games

We had like half a decade to build ships for world war 2; we recovered from Pearl harbor because those ships were already being built.

While there’s some truth here, the US absolutely built a fuckton of ships during the active war years. The US entered WWII with eight carriers and left WWII with 99 carriers of every type, plus a number of fast battleships (some of which were laid down in 1939-1940), and hundreds of frigates, destroyers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, etc. And a lot of submarines. The US Navy added something like 1,100-1,200 combat vessels between 1941-1945.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, by directly controlling industry and centrally organizing war production in an unprecedented expansion of the state.

Do you see why that's impossible now?

Oh yeah, I 100% agree it’s unlikely/improbable now.

It was mostly a matter of pointing out that the US wasn’t spending all of the 1930s developing what became its wartime navy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I'm actually curious how the US went back to privatized poo poo after the war, after effectively nationlizing huge sections of the economy

did they just be like "thnks for the ships, you can go back to building merchant stuff" or whatever?

The US didn’t nationalize industries, they simply did central planning of resource allocation and material/equipment production. The private sector went along with it because they were provided sweet, sweet contracts and payouts.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Oh no, not Deutche Bank! What a tragedy

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

should make for a good USCSB video in about 5 years :dogstare:

It's going to make me wonder what flesh burnt by molten chocolate smells like.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Lol, I wonder what leaked…

” The chemicals discovered in the water include butyl acrylate, a contaminant discovered after the Norfolk Southern train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio that spilled hundreds of thousands of pounds of toxic chemicals into the air, soil, and water. Ethel acrylate and methyl methacrylate were also discovered.”

Oh, well, yeah, that sucks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I also liked that most of the media is just referring to it as “latex finishing chemical”; the loving cowards are intentionally avoiding naming the specific chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

shackleford posted:

tbf "methyl methacrylate" sounds made up

Well it is made up... in a factory, before it's given to society by train or pipe