Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'm certainly not going to click a Newsmax link but if Papa John's is struggling financially it would absolutely be because of the reputation Papa John left them and not because of any of the poo poo he's most definitely whining about. The only exception would be if it's because they're not doing ridiculously immoral poo poo like not using children in the pepperoni mines anymore.

IMO the best thing they could do is rebrand but I'm sure a million people will respond as to why that's a terrible idea because I'm not a business person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cuddly chudsack

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why in the world does my phone already know "chudsack" lmao

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Rebranding would be silly, but it makes more sense that what Papa is suggesting.

Increasing quality in any meaningful way will make them significantly more expensive than their chain delivery competitors, while still resulting in a product significantly worse than real pizza places. There's no room for a kinda-good kinda-cheap pizza delivery chains, it's one extreme or the other.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

I'm certainly not going to click a Newsmax link but if Papa John's is struggling financially it would absolutely be because of the reputation Papa John left them and not because of any of the poo poo he's most definitely whining about. The only exception would be if it's because they're not doing ridiculously immoral poo poo like not using children in the pepperoni mines anymore.

IMO the best thing they could do is rebrand but I'm sure a million people will respond as to why that's a terrible idea because I'm not a business person.

Yeah man totally

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
at least here I feel like cheap local pizza places are probably a scam

I was hankering for a pie late one night and checked out places close by. went to the closest one but couldn’t find it cause there wasn’t a sign. finally realized the issue, went in and there was one dude in the whole building, mannning the register and making pizzas. He had the dirtiest nails I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Different place by me took an order over the phone then when I went to pick it up the place was closed. A third place I’ve gone to was a kitchen occupied by two different restaurants - pizza and Chinese. Paul’s, Tony’s, Adams. These days I don’t trust pizza made by dudes with one name

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm taken with a list of unique abilities.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

BeefThief posted:

just thinking about papa johns gives me diarrhea

when the oil beading up and floating in the toilet bowl has the exact same garlic smell as the pizza

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Les Os posted:

I was hankering for a pie

I tried to find the Brian Regan clip of him talking about moving to NY and his buddy asked him if he wanted to split a pie, but I can't find it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

papa john slanging pies in mama john

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What do y'all think about take and bakes from Papa Murphy's

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Michael Jordan owned papa jorges

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

HonorableTB posted:

Papa John's definitely tasted better when I was a kid. Now I like domino's more

if your the average goon age its because dominoes was rear end until like 2010 then they rebranded and have done a good job at not being rear end. papa johns otoh has stayed the same.

Smugworth posted:

i love them wish we had something similar where i currently am

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wow

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What is it with these ultra rich weirdos that can't give up lovely management jobs. You hit it rich, go do something else. It can't possibly be running a pizza chain as a glorified middle manager that keeps you going. I refuse to believe it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

snergle posted:

if your the average goon age its because dominoes was rear end until like 2010 then they rebranded and have done a good job at not being rear end. papa johns otoh has stayed the same.

Yeah the campaign was pretty loving honest lol. They said "look, we know our pizza sucks, but we want to change that."

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What is it with these ultra rich weirdos that can't give up lovely management jobs. You hit it rich, go do something else. It can't possibly be running a pizza chain as a glorified middle manager that keeps you going. I refuse to believe it

Narcissism. They were once a CEO/president with all the yes-men and rear end-kissing and now they aren’t, but their sick brain won’t let them believe it.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Where in the hell do you people live that you order this poo poo when you want a pizza? My own life is bleak, but not that bleak. I'm not even against fast food at all, and I like convenience and I like cheap lovely food, but don't try to tell me this poo poo is actually good. I mostly feel bad that a better pizza isn't available in your area.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tite Barnacle posted:

Where in the hell do you people live that you order this poo poo when you want a pizza? My own life is bleak, but not that bleak. I'm not even against fast food at all, and I like convenience and I like cheap lovely food, but don't try to tell me this poo poo is actually good. I mostly feel bad that a better pizza isn't available in your area.

Did you miss all of the talk about how it's much much more expensive?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Tite Barnacle posted:

Sometimes I’m drunk past 1 am and guess what’s open still

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can't put a price on having good pizza

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want sardines on it. Can you imagine a pie proper?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Zeluth posted:

I want sardines on it. Can you imagine a pie proper?

One of us can't

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Did you miss all of the talk about how it's much much more expensive?

I can get a good one for 10 bucks on a 10 minute drive in any direction. But I realize I live in a small state, where pizzas are pizzas. However, It ain't Wisconsin either ya clown, I can't get stuff like great cheese curds or butterburgers here, there's always a regional trade-off foodwise. I gotta work with what I have. Grinders, pizza and seafood, that's what Connecticut is decent for.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

pencilhands posted:

Sometimes I’m drunk past 1 am and guess what’s open still

I'm drunk all the time and I can make a better pizza at home . That's no excuse.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Domino’s is good and I like it. :colbert:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

is jets pizza any good? they opened one up near me and my other options for detroit style pizza are limited.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tite Barnacle posted:

I can get a good one for 10 bucks on a 10 minute drive in any direction. But I realize I live in a small state, where pizzas are pizzas. However, It ain't Wisconsin either ya clown, I can't get stuff like great cheese curds or butterburgers here, there's always a regional trade-off foodwise. I gotta work with what I have. Grinders, pizza and seafood, that's what Connecticut is decent for.

:hai: Ain't gonna argue that.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Tite Barnacle posted:

Unrelated grinder question:

We have "grinders" in my Midwestern home state, but they are specifically sub sandwiches with a "Midwestern style" taco meat + cold cuts and some kind of slightly spiced white sauce (not ranch but maybe ranch adjacent). I suspect this isn't what a grinder is in the Northeast, and may be some weird micro-region food thing. Are they just sub sandwiches?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
What if you could use the pizza grease to run your car

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Smugworth posted:

they rule

and dominos is good and has always been good but only in the i acknowledge this is lovely pizza kind of way

they made their crust taste better but if you add more garlic to cardboard it is still cardboard and few pizzas taste worse on day 2 than dominos but that absolutely won't stop me

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

We have "grinders" in my Midwestern home state, but they are specifically sub sandwiches with a "Midwestern style" taco meat + cold cuts and some kind of slightly spiced white sauce (not ranch but maybe ranch adjacent). I suspect this isn't what a grinder is in the Northeast, and may be some weird micro-region food thing. Are they just sub sandwiches?

A grinder here is when you’re loving a dude in the rear end and he starts vibrating on your dick like a pencil sharpener

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pepejonis

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grinders in Connecticut/New England are sub sandwiches. There’s no specific filling implied by the term, so you’d order an Italian grinder or a meatball grinder or whatever it is you got a hankering for.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Grinders in Connecticut/New England are sub sandwiches. There’s no specific filling implied by the term, so you’d order an Italian grinder or a meatball grinder or whatever it is you got a hankering for.

I could go for some nardellis now

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

bossy lady posted:

is jets pizza any good? they opened one up near me and my other options for detroit style pizza are limited.

I happen to like it but for some reason it's always a hard fuckin sell to other people who never had it before and I sure as poo poo can't eat the whole thing myself*

*source: me, I've tried

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Remember when Papa John complained that his pizza would go up in price by 50 cents if he had to provide health care to his employees due to the Affordable Care Act? Oh no, I have to treat my employees like actual humans!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I told my Pizza Hut guy that I was still tripping and probably not fit for food prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Never expected in a thread discussing Papa John's mediocre quality and their deposed racist wormbrained former leader that I'd get nostalgia triggered for the meatball grinders from a mom & pop pizzeria in my wmass home town. I haven't been back in over 20 years but I think the same place is there. Hopefully nothing's changed.