Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm a London cyclist and don't own a car, and every week morning the bike lane by my office has pricks running a red light at a crossing, literally less than a metre from crossing pedestrians at c. 15 miles an hour. Yes it's bad, yes it's a minority.

From chatting to a friend who is absolutely the guy running the light, it's some bullshit subsection of cycle culture that's 50% 'well at least I'm not a car' and 50% macho cowboys of the road stuff like they think they're NYC cycle couriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Tarkus posted:

How is stopping at a stop sign to look for traffic dangerous to cyclists?

Its unnecessary to come to a complete stop because the cyclist has lower velocity and better visibility. Slowing down and looking for cross traffic is all that's needed.

Its more dangerous because it just increases the odds of a driver executing an unsafe pass or a 'right hook' turn that are the two biggest causes of collisions between cyclists and motorists.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If I don't blast through this four way stop and steal the right of way from several other people on the road people will forget that cyclists don't have to follow all these traffic laws that are just too dangerous to follow

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The instance of cyclists breaking traffic laws that they actually should be following (yeilding right of way, obeying signals and signs when necessary for safety) is lower than drivers.

But lol if you expect me to come to a stop an put my foot down at every stop sign I come across when theres actually no good reason to.

People bicycles and even horse carriages got along just fine without all the bullshit signs and lights that only became necessary because of the loving automobile.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's okay, cars kill people so I can swerve about bullying pedestrians because I'll only break their legs at worst.

That said it seems to have got so much better recently. Maybe the city is just settling into a new rhythm now that everyone has got used to their covid bike

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 28, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
no one cares about cyclists doing rolling stops when no one else is around :lmao:

EvilJoven posted:

The instance of cyclists breaking traffic laws that they actually should be following (yeilding right of way, obeying signals and signs when necessary for safety) is lower than drivers.

syq

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...I0S9_tuW_svK4Ct

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Speeding was the most common offence among motorists.

lol crazy Danes

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
this just recently dropped. its a wild ride. =]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnheTcWRemU&t=702s

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chinatown posted:

i think dying by running to a cab while running redlights while going wrong way down a one way street might top dying on everest for me

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Chinatown posted:

I fuckin love Mario Kart 64

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

i think dying by running to a cab while running redlights while going wrong way down a one way street might top dying on everest for me

iirc he got a concussion and NYPD swiped is bike xD

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Chinatown posted:

iirc he got a concussion and NYPD swiped is bike xD

:lol:

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
america's most walkable city

(six lanes of cars and a whole 24 feet of sidewalk on every street, even the ones with buildings that hold 20,000 people)

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
which has the most fuckable subway tunnels

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dick Jones posted:

Similar to recycling, the individual can only do so much with the situation they're given. If a town sucks for public transit, you can't blame the individual for choosing a car over an unreliable bus or a half-assed bike lane. The actual solution lies further upstream with zoning laws (allow more multi-unit town houses) and long term investments building out light rail, BRT lanes, and mixed-use development around transit hubs.

So in summary: Meh. Just don't buy a loving pickup truck.

But I need a large pickup truck for the one time a year that I might move a piece of furniture.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Living in the city has really opened my eyes to how a significant portion of the male population has a compulsive desire to ensure that every single human being within a 5-block radius is hearing their engine and/or stereo system.

Midlife crisis' and sexual compensation bonanza on a daily basis. The desperate cries for attention; a torment for pets, babies and those with misophonia.

Anyway, old man on internet is for the anti-car culture movement and also needs to move into the country.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jelly posted:

Living in the city has really opened my eyes to how a significant portion of the male population has a compulsive desire to ensure that every single human being within a 5-block radius is hearing their engine and/or stereo system.

Midlife crisis' and sexual compensation bonanza on a daily basis. The desperate cries for attention; a torment for pets, babies and those with misophonia.

Anyway, old man on internet is for the anti-car culture movement and also needs to move into the country.
theres a BMW that drives by my house that makes loud as gently caress pops and bangs coming off throttle and i want to blow his car up with an RPG

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Same but a dude with his crotch rocket.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
One of the freeways near me always has guys late at night, usually weekends, going who knows how fast on their motos.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hope that when electric cars become the norm they all have to make the car sounds from the jetsons.

I mean I'd rather public transportation become the norm but at least make driving as boring utilitarian and humiliating as possible.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
frankly all human movement is offensive and I wish people would stop doing it in public, barbarians all of you

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

frankly all human movement is offensive and I wish people would stop doing it in public, barbarians all of you

So you work from home?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jelly posted:

i agree that loud engines are stupid, but who amongst us does not enjoy occasionally enjoy rolling the windows down to give the normies an earful of cannibal corpse

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wizard master wins again.

I'm not mad just disappointed.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I too hate loud noises. Those kids playing ball and screaming hoopla on the street better not come on my lawn 'cause as god as my witness I'm keeping that loving ball!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Can't outmaster the

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Wendigee posted:

good

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Personally I really believe in public transportation and think it is a real public good.

But it would be super inconvenient for me personally which is why I drive a 4,500 pound luxury SUV 8 miles to work everyday. But it is an EV, because I care.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Three Olives posted:

Personally I really believe in public transportation and think it is a real public good.

But it would be super inconvenient for me personally which is why I drive a 4,500 pound luxury SUV 8 miles to work everyday. But it is an EV, because I care.

you should put some truck nuts on it

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

So you work from home?

:golfclap:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tarkus posted:

I too hate loud noises. Those kids playing ball and screaming hoopla on the street better not come on my lawn 'cause as god as my witness I'm keeping that loving ball!

This would hit harder if there were any kids playing on the street. Guess whose fault it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Space Kablooey posted:

This would hit harder if there were any kids playing on the street. Guess whose fault it is

i have it both ways. i live in a co-operative so all the neighbourhood kids are out in the street playing and hooting and hollering. i also own an old car taht is v loud and it rules