Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

funeral home DJ posted:

I thought wizards got around by shoving brooms up their keesters and flying everywhere?

There are plenty of bone/demon-imprisonment magic-users that don't hate trans people, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Bette Midler is the only witch in my dreams

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Panzeh posted:

On one hand, yeah, it's pretty true, on the other hand, the people perpetuating the movement often don't even know what the hell they're talking about and just sort of assume that money is no object and private property rights don't exist.

On the other hand, huge numbers of so called car people are just bougie racists who want everything to be as expensive and far away as possible so poor people can't be near them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doctor J Off posted:

On the other hand, huge numbers of so called car people are just bougie racists who want everything to be as expensive and far away as possible so poor people can't be near them.

Oh, definitely, i've also read the comment sections of said videos. Honestly, it's people who want the benefits of rural living without the downsides- if you want to be rural, be rural, but then you have to actually commit to it.

It's just funny saying we should go back to 20s mixed use development when, oh, i don't think people in a broad sense would go back to apartments that size with shared bathrooms. The upstairs apartments in the local buildings where i live are now 2-3 units, maximum when they, in their heyday could be 10, it was just packed like sardines.

They also cost a lot of money to rent. Which is kind of a problem- the idea in a lot of these mixed use developments is that people who live in them should be able to work nearby, but there's not a good match- the downstairs coffee shops, bars, and bistros often don't pay sufficiently to rent the fairly inflated units above them, so you get professionals who have car commutes to office parks inhabiting these places instead.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 14, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Everyone should own several cars just like are founding fathers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also in a broad sense I think the car-centric development of the US is portrayed in conspiratorial tones when it's way more just, the US was much more motorized than any other part of the world since the dawn of the automobile, and cheap, highly available land made development patterns very different from Europe. Once these developments were made, well, it's just not really possible to change course.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Panzeh posted:

Oh, definitely, i've also read the comment sections of said videos. Honestly, it's people who want the benefits of rural living without the downsides- if you want to be rural, be rural, but then you have to actually commit to it.

It's just funny saying we should go back to 20s mixed use development when, oh, i don't think people in a broad sense would go back to apartments that size with shared bathrooms. The upstairs apartments in the local buildings where i live are now 2-3 units, maximum when they, in their heyday could be 10, it was just packed like sardines.

They also cost a lot of money to rent. Which is kind of a problem- the idea in a lot of these mixed use developments is that people who live in them should be able to work nearby, but there's not a good match- the downstairs coffee shops, bars, and bistros often don't pay sufficiently to rent the fairly inflated units above them, so you get professionals who have car commutes to office parks inhabiting these places instead.

That's an issue, true. However it's more to do imo with poor worker protections leading to low wages. However, if we did have a rail network connecting subways, trams, and regional rail then even if the commute was an hour you could turn it into leisure time with a book, movie, or video game, or get started on youe work day if your job allows that on a laptop

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't care

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I don’t have any thoughts on the issue. Just thought I’d add some filler to boost the post count for the thread. Good luck on the thread turning into a mega thread!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I dont like SUVs. They are too big.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Americans generally are simply not considerate enough to exist in shared spaces without causing major issues for their neighbors regularly. Cowboys get rowdy when you pack too many in one place.

Anti car people are a small minority, even in the major cities where their vision is feasible.

Theyre right tho. No reason what so ever to have a personal car in the middle of NYC, Boston, Chicago, Denver …

LA is permafucked and will never be walkable.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fresh_cheese posted:

Americans generally are simply not considerate enough to exist in shared spaces without causing major issues for their neighbors regularly. Cowboys get rowdy when you pack too many in one place.

Anti car people are a small minority, even in the major cities where their vision is feasible.

Theyre right tho. No reason what so ever to have a personal car in the middle of NYC, Boston, Chicago, Denver …

Tbh seeing the reaction to this has more or less convinced me that America in an unfixable dying country, and the only thing to do is get out ASAP

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
wizard master wins again. GOD i hate him!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Cars are nice when you have little kids and it's a frozen hellscape outside

Other than that, we're walkin

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Hey wizard. Hope you're doing okay man.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

Hey wizard. Hope you're doing okay man.

I don't.

I hope he falls out of his flying castle.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i use public transport most of the time but I have trams and trains available closeby, sadly america looks like its mostly a hellscape of highways leading to different big box stores so nobody can walk anywhere

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I live in houston, a city made for cars. Once they gain sentience rumor is the local human population will die off.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

fresh_cheese posted:

i live in LA and parts of it are very walkable and parts of it never will be

but also i dont understand how Denver ended up in your list of walkable cities. its just as much of a sprawl as LA if not moreso. the first time i went there i stayed downtown and went to a dispensary and asked the people working there where i could go to buy some new guitar strings and they were all like "uh five miles away at a guitar center in a mall"

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i agree we need to reduce our reliance on personal vehicles but lol at using reddit/fuckcars as any kind of metric. that place is full of children and/or idiots who don't live in the real world. they should spend less time raging at car owners and more time raging at their local council.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i like owning and driving my car, so i guess i'm a part of the problem. but i do get depressed seeing long stretches of americana (gas stations fast food pawn shops and loan sharks) that are all designed just for idiots like me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
But then they just build a roundabout nobody knows how to use

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cumpantry posted:

i like owning and driving my car, so i guess i'm a part of the problem. but i do get depressed seeing long stretches of americana (gas stations fast food pawn shops and loan sharks) that are all designed just for idiots like me

motels used to be a part of that, too, because car trips were much longer before the interstate highway system finished its work, after the 70s, motels basically went out of business because there was no need to stop so much

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i agree we need to reduce our reliance on personal vehicles but lol at using reddit/fuckcars as any kind of metric. that place is full of children and/or idiots who don't live in the real world. they should spend less time raging at car owners and more time raging at their local council.

imagine, if you will, a group of people who get their entire understanding of transportation through youtubers telling them stuff- you can always tell because they use the word 'stroad'

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh no there's MORE collisions and pedestrians being hit?! Better build a way around the roundabout.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

Discount pencilhands

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't thoughts, I just do.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

kntfkr posted:

I don't thoughts, I just do.

The entire anti-car culture movement isn't a goose, buddy.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I spent an hour in a car new to me reading the manual and to get me back in the mood. Holy moly they are so comfy and almost drive themselves now.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Panzeh posted:

imagine, if you will, a group of people who get their entire understanding of transportation through youtubers telling them stuff- you can always tell because they use the word 'stroad'

i think they have a similar image problem to that antiwork subreddit. where the basic message is alright, but they get taken over by those who shout the loudest and get the angriest.

i got rid of my car for a couple of years when i lived in edinburgh and it was great. cheap buses anywhere in the city, plenty of which ran 24/7. you could get a daypass for a couple quid and take unlimited buses all over the city.

now i'm back living about an hour away in a town of like 60k and it would be such a pain in the arse if i didn't have my car. buses are expensive, stop running at like 7pm and take forever to get anywhere. trains are an absolute rip off if you need to visit another town.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The entire anti-car culture movement isn't a goose, buddy.

I got this av because of pro-car anti-canada goose culture (the predominant culture in my car when I had to commute like a sucker).

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
https://youtu.be/LubYbIJcu9o

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

train good car bad

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I gave up my car when I moved to Edinburgh ~8 years ago and I haven't missed it. Looking forward to the tram extension opening. Hope they go ahead with plans to add more tram routes.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ArmZ posted:

train good car bad

:yeah:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah hey guess what guys? It’s actually not the gross industrial polluters that are loving up the environment, it’s you and your loving mobility, and there’s a seething and violent cultural movement against cars just around the corner, lurking in the shadows. It’s not the corporations, it’s the people, AND YOURE GONNA loving PAY FOR YOUR SINS rear end in a top hat!! Captain Planet is gonna jam a loving lighting rod up your loving rear end in a top hat bitch. Don’t even breathe out CO2. NOT CORPORATIONS FAULT! No wait, not only is it not the fault of the people who are actually doing it, pollution is an inherent fault of mankind so let’s just loving nuke everything and we won’t have anymore goddamn combusting carbon pollution. We should put all these loving EVs on loving COAL POWER down the line so a black cloud of shame follows people for going to work to get the money required to live. Just don’t drive to work and die from starvation, one less piece of poo poo carbon footprint, sucking up all the goddamned oxygen.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In fact, you piece of poo poo, everybody just be confined to your own loving state because all the big auto makers are showcasing like 5 or 6 EVs that they don’t even have a production line for for flash, but nobody has the range to drive from Sacramento to Portland and there’s no infrastructure to support this poo poo. Find a Tesla owners garage on Craig’s list and suck their dick for a chargeup while you sit there for 45 minutes, the electricity coming from a gas turbine that is less efficient than a modern car engine.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I have commuted by foot, bicycle, bus, train (commuter rail AND subway), and car

And let me tell you, car is the worst. Being stuck in traffic is a soul-draining experience if I'm behind the wheel. Even when the bus gets stuck in traffic I'm not the one in charge and can still read or dick around with my phone.

Bicycle is the most fun but boy are there some suicidal cyclists where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It would be cool to not own a car and but also like even though I don't live very far from work today it is pouring rain and I am very glad I had a car to drive in instead of like biking. I also like cars for carrying my groceries and other stuff I buy and also for having s*x in when I was a lot younger