Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

seems a bit extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
thank you wizard master. this thread should also be about nuclear power also

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Zippy the Bummer posted:

inherent in a wizard castle is a working positive-void coefficient boiling-water reactor

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

olives black posted:

seems a bit extreme

NO ITS NOT! I can’t wait until I see people getting SPANKED by COPS on the side of the highway for driving gas cars while the black cloud of progress from the EV car coal power plant looms over them and rains blood and soot down on their cherry red asses. :haibrower:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My bike was stolen right after a rejiggering and I am still pissed about it. (I should have used my locking system)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Zippy the Bummer posted:

If I could have a nuclear powered car I would be so happy

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

If I could have a nuclear powered car I would be so happy

I knew a guy who built a car that could run on wine but he beat a bunch of flesh off my back to get his calculations right so he’s dead now.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

NO ITS NOT! I can’t wait until I see people getting SPANKED by COPS on the side of the highway for driving gas cars while the black cloud of progress from the EV car coal power plant looms over them and rains blood and soot down on their cherry red asses. :haibrower:

how about instead we phase the car out in favor of public transit

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

olives black posted:

No YOU ride the bus you poor rear end trick. :crossarms:

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

fresh_cheese posted:

Americans generally are simply not considerate enough to exist in shared spaces without causing major issues for their neighbors regularly. Cowboys get rowdy when you pack too many in one place.

Anti car people are a small minority, even in the major cities where their vision is feasible.

Theyre right tho. No reason what so ever to have a personal car in the middle of NYC, Boston, Chicago, Denver …

LA is permafucked and will never be walkable.

Agreed, but my excuse in Denver is that it's not nearly a cool enough city to hang out in all the time, so the best thing to do is pack up your poo poo and leave for the weekend.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

olives black posted:

Public transit is full of masturbating schizophrenics and people with camera phones pointed at you. It's pretty much designed to give me a meltdown.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's like sim city where you push the public transit button and all the roads are replaced with railroads

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Public transit is full of masturbating schizophrenics and people with camera phones pointed at you. It's pretty much designed to give me a meltdown.

Last time I rode the light rail right before Covid hit, a guy sat in front of me and within minutes he was nude from the waste down lying on his back furiously masturbating. I had to step around him so I could get to work. Thankfully now I can work at home where it’s only me on my back cranking one out.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It'd be sick to live in a place with good non car options.

Going by Google my commute to work 1 way by car is 7 min and by bus it's 40.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

you should be wearing an N95 mask in public anyway. if you're still concerned put some sweet shades on

as for the masturbating schizophrenics we can do our part and politely ignore them

olives black fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 14, 2023

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

In fact, you piece of poo poo, everybody just be confined to your own loving state because all the big auto makers are showcasing like 5 or 6 EVs that they don’t even have a production line for for flash, but nobody has the range to drive from Sacramento to Portland and there’s no infrastructure to support this poo poo. Find a Tesla owners garage on Craig’s list and suck their dick for a chargeup while you sit there for 45 minutes, the electricity coming from a gas turbine that is less efficient than a modern car engine.

My god, it's like the phrase "settle down beavis" writ flesh

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

olives black posted:

you should be wearing an N95 mask in public anyway. if you're still concerned put some sweet shades on

as for the masturbating schozophrenics we cqn do our part and politely ignore them

Yeah or I could take a lyft and not have a meltdown. Public transportation is not intended for people like me. I'd have to take 12 mg of ativan every time I had to get in the drat subway, I'd end up addicted in like a week. You know public transportation is basically hell for autistic people, right? I have no idea why so many of them are into trains, I guess they like to imagine riding in a luxury cabin with nobody else. That ain't an option on a city bus.

edit: and packing people together like sardines is just plain inhuman, I'm surprised there aren't more mass shootings in crowded mass transportation vehicles and stations.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 14, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Panzeh posted:

motels used to be a part of that, too, because car trips were much longer before the interstate highway system finished its work, after the 70s, motels basically went out of business because there was no need to stop so much

no they didn't. they aren't quite as common as they used to be and have been almost completely taken over by corporate chains (motel 6 and super 8) but they aren't exactly rare, and there are also a lot of hotel chains competing in the same space but 20-40 more per night with some amenities (hampton inn, la quinta, howard johnson etc.) which are also used heavily by people on car trips, various kinds of groups that travel by van and bus, people who travel for work to areas where air travel doesn't make sense, etc. and the number of motels in the US has been growing every year recently.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0JC_509Dg

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP
cars can be okay but I wish they were smaller.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

You know public transportation is basically hell for autistic people, right? I have no idea why so many of them are into trains, I guess they like to imagine riding in a luxury cabin with nobody else.

for some autistic people. we aren't all the same. i'm on the spectrum and have no problem with public transportation. therapy can also help with these things. also seems kind of weird to be citing your own mental condition while at the same time talking poo poo about other people's. people with schizophrenia can also get therapy and medication and ride public transit too, and aren't any more likely to masturbate in public than anyone else.

also fwiw i dont think most train nerds imagine "riding in a luxury cabin", some of them just like seeing as many different trains as possible and some of them imagine working for the railroad company and/or driving the train. and some of them actually end up doing so.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 14, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I took the bus from 11 to 17

I'm fineish I only fell asleep once and got taken to the south side

Still wonder what she did with my shoes..

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah or I could take a lyft and not have a meltdown. Public transportation is not intended for people like me. I'd have to take 12 mg of ativan every time I had to get in the drat subway, I'd end up addicted in like a week. You know public transportation is basically hell for autistic people, right? I have no idea why so many of them are into trains, I guess they like to imagine riding in a luxury cabin with nobody else. That ain't an option on a city bus.

They have special movie screenings for people with autism or sensory issues. p sure they can do a similar thing with buses/subways.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

edit: and packing people together like sardines is just plain inhuman, I'm surprised there aren't more mass shootings in crowded mass transportation vehicles and stations.

probs because as annoying as it is, it makes you feel less cut off from other humans :shrug:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Oh it was probably crack

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Earwicker posted:

for some autistic people. we aren't all the same. i'm on the spectrum and have no problem with public transportation. therapy can also help with these things. also seems kind of weird to be citing your own mental condition while at the same time talking poo poo about other people's. people with schizophrenia can also get therapy and medication and ride public transit too, and aren't any more likely to masturbate in public than anyone else.

I just want to be alone except for a driver who does not speak my language, without any loud noises or horrible sensory distractions like people making homemade frosting with their dicks. Actually, people just existing is enough to bother me, they don't have to be doing anything wrong. Point is I can't ride the subway unless I'm wasted.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Just watch don't get involved

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Earwicker posted:

also fwiw i dont think most train nerds imagine "riding in a luxury cabin", some of them just like seeing as many different trains as possible and some of them imagine working for the railroad company and/or driving the train. and some of them actually end up doing so.

I only know one autistic guy who works for the railroads and he was so insufferably mean to everyone I wouldn't even drink with him, and I'll drink with anybody. Yes, he gets to drive the train. If that makes him happy then he has a funny way of showing it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know if this is related but i think it is a sad indicator of These Times that some people said "hey it would be cool if all the stuff you needed was within a short walking distance of where you live" and then a part of the public response was turned into "government is going to literally prevent you from going more than 15 minutes away from your home" because everything is a conspiracy now

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Earwicker posted:

i dont know if this is related but i think it is a sad indicator of These Times that some people said "hey it would be cool if all the stuff you needed was within a short walking distance of where you live" and then a part of the public response was turned into "government is going to literally prevent you from going more than 15 minutes away from your home" because everything is a conspiracy now

oh god yeah everything's part of the culture war. Every terf and antivaxer is now also raging against any alternatives to car usage. How do they live like that it must be exhausting

e: also lol the current conservative alpha male fad of performative cowardice, bragging they would never set foot in a city or use public transport because of ~those people~

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Yeah that's loving weird. They ain't gonna take your car away, at least not this century, they're just talking about employing urban planning to create towns that are more convenient and pleasant to live in. Being against that is, well, really loving weird.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

In the city I live in not only was the bus route not running by the time I was going to work at my last job and not running when I got off; but if it was, it was a 3 mile downhill to work and 3 mile uphill to the stop that climbs like 200 feet in elevation.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Does Wizard Master always start a thread on controversial topics then never get involved in the debate? Is this how he gains his powers, by starting threads to no where and watching us spin in circles, meanwhile in the background he's planning his next move? Is he a derail vampire? Are we slowly having our life force drained from us by this so called "Wizard Master" everytime we engage in a meaningless debate?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

olives black posted:

They have special movie screenings for people with autism or sensory issues. p sure they can do a similar thing with buses/subways.

Some trains in the UK have "quiet coaches" but considering how dogshit rail transport is in the UK right now I don't think it's enforced at all.

I loving love travelling by public transport despite regularly having meltdowns. :shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I only know one autistic guy who works for the railroads and he was so insufferably mean to everyone I wouldn't even drink with him, and I'll drink with anybody. Yes, he gets to drive the train. If that makes him happy then he has a funny way of showing it.

if he showed that he was happy then he would be outwardly enjoying his work and thus have something in common with the loathsome hobbyist. once a railfan makes the transition to rail employee there is no one they hate more than "foamers", and no one who hates foamers more than them.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Does Wizard Master always start a thread on controversial topics then never get involved in the debate? Is this how he gains his powers, by starting threads to no where and watching us spin in circles, meanwhile in the background he's planning his next move? Is he a detail vampire? Are we slowly having our life force drained from us by this so called "Wizard Master" everytime we engage in a meaningless debate?

I believe he’s recording our responses so he can humiliate us with them somehow.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah that's loving weird. They ain't gonna take your car away, at least not this century, they're just talking about employing urban planning to create towns that are more convenient and pleasant to live in. Being against that is, well, really loving weird.

they can take my car away. idgaf. it's a basic bitch sedan that i am driving until the wheels fall off, and if i am forced to buy another car because of where i live that one will also be a basic bitch sedan that i drive until the wheels fall off

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I believe he’s recording our responses so he can humiliate us with them somehow.

everything i post in a wizard master thread is an opinion that i genuinely hold and am unashamed of. i am unconcerned about whether or not their intent is to troll. the threads are about interesting topics that i like to post about

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
You gotta worry about how the other people drive too

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I own a few cars and I still think car-centric society sucks poo poo OP. I would like to just use them for fun driving, not commuting to work or long distance. We should be able to use fairly priced (or free) public transport for the vast majority of our getting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Yep, also diagnosed autistic here. Sometimes the bus gets mega crowded and I definitely understand why it would be too much.

For me personally, since I've been here I've encountered the supernaturally bad BO people, the marinated their clothes with urine repeatedly people, the groups of obnoxious drunks, the Just Making Conversation! jackasses (who can get hosed), the anxiously crooning hymns to Jesus in creepy voices people, and these things can be tolerated.

Only time I ever had to get off, calm down, and wait for the next one was the time 3 adults brought 5-6 toddlers on the bus, sat them all around my seat, and deliberately pumped them up until they were all screaming and crying while the adults criticized everyone else and me in particular for being affected. No masturbation witnessed yet and almost everyone just wants to sit down, shut up and get to where they're going. These are all challenging though.

I'm blessed with single-minded focus, so most of the time I read or do crochet and the world disappears until my phone alerts. If it's crowded I stand and keep my mind busy with not falling down. It's honestly less stressful for me than driving had become and I'm grateful I have the option. I wish there were quieter options too.