Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

You know Google Streetview, that service where google drove cars around the world with panoramic cameras on top taking pictures of loving everything and invading your privacy? Well a decade ago someone got the bright idea to turn that into a browser game: Geoguessr!

In any given game mode, you are loaded into a photosphere and your goal is to observe your surroundings and try to figure out where in the world you are. There are loads of different maps, official and user-made, ranging from the entire world to individual countries and regions, to themes such as locations with dogs.

The traditional game mode is just five rounds of single player, but a few years ago they revamped the site and added online multiplayer, which now consists of: countries mode in which you have three guesses to just get the country, no need to pinpoint the location; distance mode in which you have three guesses to get as close as you can, with the player with the farthest guess getting knocked out; and duel mode which is 1v1 distance mode and whoever gets the closer guess does damage against their opponent's health bar. In singleplayer and private lobbies you can now set restrictions like no moving, no panning, no zooming, and custom time limits. If you want a world map better than the default one, try A Diverse World or An Urban World if you want something easier. For US I suggest US (no blurry) or An Urban America.

The game is free but with restrictions. With a free account you can play for 5 minutes at a time, last I checked. The Pro subscription costs $3.50 per month and gets you access to everything, no restrictions. Google's API ain't cheap apparently.

Some resources to help get better at the game:

Geohints - a comprehensive catalogue of all the different types of things you see, sorted by country.
Geotips - pretty much the same thing but in a different format. I think there was some drama surrounding this one a while back, something to do with the leaderboards, idk

Countries/territories that have Streetview coverage:
(plus Qatar now)

Countries that drive on the right vs left:

European license plates:

European road signs (made by yours truly)

American states that require front license plates:

American state road signs:

American state flags:

:siren: Note: only use these while playing by yourself. When playing competitively you can only use your own memory, no help from googling, guides, or other people.

ITT post your Ws, your Ls, maps you've made, helpful tips and resources, links to private games to play live with goons, challenge links, weird poo poo you see, questions, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Here have a challenge link https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/nBsVqfd0z79EN0We

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Tried your challenge link, some places are just roads with little to guess what country, and with only a few minutes to click around it's not the easiest. Love the concept and think I played something similar, is this a spinoff some other game? Got a few thousand points before timeout, I'll give it another try when I get 5 minutes from the site.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the resource images, I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I play.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

secured my spot in 4th place with 9,604. just below three perfect scores...

i like watching people play it more than playing myself, but i might be more inclined to play people's challenge maps.

edit: lmao nevermind, i'm a fool. i am in fact not fourth place. i thought this was a brand new map and i just happened to be player #4...

The Postman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 16, 2023

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Desdinova posted:

Tried your challenge link, some places are just roads with little to guess what country, and with only a few minutes to click around it's not the easiest. Love the concept and think I played something similar, is this a spinoff some other game? Got a few thousand points before timeout, I'll give it another try when I get 5 minutes from the site.

Yeah I think I'll remove the time limit on any more challenges I post.

Breakdown: 1: The english, left-hand traffic, sun in the north, and greenery told me it's either Aus or NZ; managed to find a sign with the NZ city Hamilton on it. 2: Asian characters on the poles and signs, yellow/black hazard tape on the bottoms of the poles confirms Taiwan. 3: Banner sign down the hill gives it away, both the language and the URL at the bottom. 4: Instantly got Aussie vibes from the trees, northern sun, and left-hand traffic; the white bollard with vertical red stripe confirmed it. 5: Knew it was Russia from the signs and all white license plates but I suck at region guessing Russia (and most other countries!) so I still got bodied.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

New geowizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxo1ZsAGuo

I knew that was a famous skyscraper but had a complete brainfart about which one lol :cripes:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I tried the Geoguesser app yesterday, but they really should have held off on publishing it for a few more months. It's super bare bones.

Their mobile interface isn't great either. So I guess I'm going to keep playing on a large screen

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Easier challenge (Urban world, no time limit) || Harder challenge (ADW 8 minutes per round)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Easy || Hard

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 28, 2023

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Just cancelled my subscription because the website is now translated and absolutely refuses to remember my language setting.

Bad translations and using geolocation exclusively to serve those bad translations to users in a certain country (my os and browser language are set to English) are somewhat of a personal sticking point for me.

And I've also had rounds time out without even loading the map all through the past week.

I think GG may be growing a bit too fast to keep up with itself

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't have the patience to hunt for roads on my own, but doing it on discord with someone else (both of us forbidding ourselves from googling or using external resources, but allowing ourselves to consult each other) is a fun way to pass the time and bond. It's still hellish when we land in some podunk village in Russia, though; it already takes us hours to get perfect scores and we're constantly amazed by the leaderboards.

Also, my favorite Geowizard feature is his Geodetective series; there is some incredible detective work going on in there, like the time he traced a photograph's general location by looking up a database of trees, which is a thing I had no idea even existed.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Argue posted:

I don't have the patience to hunt for roads on my own, but doing it on discord with someone else (both of us forbidding ourselves from googling or using external resources, but allowing ourselves to consult each other) is a fun way to pass the time and bond. It's still hellish when we land in some podunk village in Russia, though; it already takes us hours to get perfect scores and we're constantly amazed by the leaderboards.

Also, my favorite Geowizard feature is his Geodetective series; there is some incredible detective work going on in there, like the time he traced a photograph's general location by looking up a database of trees, which is a thing I had no idea even existed.

I usually only have the patience to go for perfect scores (solo) on USA maps (my home country). Otherwise I play streaks where you only need to recognize the country, or just battle royale. I still need to try co-op one of these days.

EricBauman have you submitted a bug report about the language thing, either directly or on the subreddit? I think they'd probably fix it relatively soon if you did, especially if you mention you cancelled over it. But yeah they've been making some pretty wack UI decisions lately, not sure what's going on there. Can't speak to the time out issue, never gotten that myself.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Yeah, I've opened a ticket. Let's see what they say. I'm prepaid until January anyway, so plenty of time for them to fix things

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Speaking of Geowizard, he revisited the brutalist architecture map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BQwVhs6D4
challenge link

French-speaking places sure have a lot of brutalist architecture huh? 🤔

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
He's one of only a handful of YouTubers I can tolerate. His videos where he keeps attempting to walk across Wales in a straight line are very good.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rezzing this dead thread to say Geoguessr is esports now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBvgdQw8Irw

World cup starts in 8 days, live and in person from Stockholm. https://www.twitch.tv/GeoGuessr/

-
Interesting map I found the other day: https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/Npq3GiPcuSeAPg0A

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I wish free accounts got a little more than 5 minutes per play to really let me get engrossed in the game.

I really enjoyed playing Worldle so Geoguessr seemed like a good next step but I wasn't ready to pay for it and 5 minutes is too short.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i used to love geoguessr before it became pay to play. I think someone said they had to charge due to google charges or something though so i try not to think bad thoughts

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I get it, just thought maybe I could have more than 5 minutes to really sink my teeth into it. I know I can come back like 15 minutes(?) later but by then my interest has waned onto some other activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Revitalized posted:

I wish free accounts got a little more than 5 minutes per play to really let me get engrossed in the game.

I really enjoyed playing Worldle so Geoguessr seemed like a good next step but I wasn't ready to pay for it and 5 minutes is too short.

Agreed, it should give free accounts one or two games of any mode, not an amount of time especially only 5 minutes.

But yeah they charge because the google maps API ain't cheap apparently. The good thing is a subscription is only like three bucks a month.