Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Seen this a couple of times now: AI bus, needs two people to monitor for safe driving. However it is only a trial in Edinburgh.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/self-driving-bus-human-operators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
when i think 'yospos' i think 'sophisticated humor and wordplay'

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

I only read it for the articles.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

oh, word?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

drat, i got caught out on this one

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
You Old S*** Posting Online

Your Opinion Sucks, Please Overthink Something

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
This isn't a parody subforum... AI lies throughout

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao this thread / article

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1645745104064327680

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Look out! It's HOUUUM!

https://www.instagram.com/creepmart/

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Okay these are actually awesome.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

retpocileh posted:

Okay these are actually awesome.

lol I followed the Creepmart account and just got a follow back from the Canadian knockoff version

https://instagram.com/sheggiebrostoys

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
community developed AI tools are cool and good because of the completely idiotic names that we are all forced to use. the local LLM webui called oobabooga has a “memory” function called superbooga

how long can this continue, imagine some serious CNN person has to say superbooga

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/CZaneH/status/1660305979496439808?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
using a gan to generate a captcha seems deeply perverse

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i could understand using it for the text i guess (i suppose if you give it a good enough description it could probably free associate its way into giving you what the object is)

...but lol why would you use it for the image examples too :psyboom:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't get why discord shows that awful captcha when I've already entered a correct six digit code from 2FA

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I don't get why discord shows that awful captcha when I've already entered a correct six digit code from 2FA

because it has nothing to do with authentication, they just need some mechanical turks (ie you)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

using a gan to generate a captcha seems deeply perverse

they’re been doing it for a while around the web, i’ve encountered it a bunch

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't understand why that even works - if a computer generated it shouldn't it be particularly easy to classify as well?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Or is it actually just to generate/score training data

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

distortion park posted:

Or is it actually just to generate/score training data

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

getting close to ai replacing echi

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not flashy, but now this is a good read on an important (and, importantly, real) problem: https://arxiv.org/abs/2305.09800

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just based on the abstract, yes, gpt based llms are being intentionally designed to provide responses in a way that anthropomorphises them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean... of course they are? chatgpt and bing (in particular, used to) both emulate personhood to some degree and we've already seen people blow up their careers over a llm's supposed sentience

just taking a glance at the paper makes it seem as if it's stating the obvious

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah though it’s good to approach seemingly obvious concepts with scientific rigour just the same if for no other reason than to help build a foundation on which to build further progress and research (note: i haven’t read the paper yet).

i’d point out that part of the problem with anthropomorphism in regards technology is that it makes it more approachable for normal people to use, and i think it’s probably difficult to have a machine that understands (for some definition of understands don’t @ me about llm cognition) really well to not be anthropomorphic in some respects.

probably making them avoid first person language is a good step tho if the target is to reduce that property

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

@mediaphage, re: your recent statements on llm cognition

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

infernal machines posted:

@mediaphage, re: your recent statements on llm cognition

@distribution, @mediaphage, @infernalmachines, re: re: your recent statements on llm cognition

please remove me from this email chain

thank you

---

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:23-24

CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

🌱 Is it necessary to print this email? If you care about the environment like we do, please refrain from printing emails. It helps to keep the environment forested and litter-free.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is absolutely quite obvious, but that's needed as the non-obvious stuff is mostly dreamed up nonsense. to save people reading it opens with the figure:

and closes with the observation:

there's a lot of very sensible stuff in there, but it might indeed be a bit of a bore for general consumption.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
kinda reminds me of this prompt injection to make bing act more like it used to

https://twitter.com/CrisGiardina/status/1652835268716576769

i agree that the paper's de-anthropomorphized response is better though, but the cat's already out of the bag for anthropomorphism. people already expect these things to respond like a person and that's part of the appeal to businesses that want to replace workers with a llm. i think it's a problem too, but i doubt anything will change

even if there are regulations or guardrails built into future llms to de-emphasize this kind of stuff the prompt injection thing above makes me think people will either just build anthropomorphized versions or try and find some other way to make an existing model behave that way

e: i'm not using a pc at the moment but the prompt injection within edge is at http://bringsydneyback.com/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think the ship having sailed is the take though. it is not necessarily that if *one* system people interact with is anthropomorphic they will misunderstand the tech as human-like, rather as long as they are faced with one which they recognize as sophisticated but which is *not* anthropomorphic they are likely to understand the technology better in general.

the dominance of a few sv companies might make that a moot point though. though otoh there's an element of uncanny valley to it all as well, do people enjoy feeling manipulated to be polite to the things?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't disagree, but keep in mind they want people to misunderstand the technology, most of this is a (admittedly pretty brilliant) marketing ploy

part of it is not just manipulating people into being polite, it's also that they want to showcase its natural language processing capabilities and an excellent way to do that is by having people interact with it as an ostensible person. if it were more machine-like then people's queries to it would probably become that as well. like, most people don't query search with complete sentences, but they probably would if it presented itself as a person trying to help you find something

considering most of this comes from the standpoint of openai wanting to sell their services it's extremely effective. it gives a necessarily skewed perspective of what the thing is capable of because from a marketing perspective that's exactly what they want. if someone thinks it's capable of doing x task, openai certainly don't want to imply that it's not able to do something. of course they don't want to imply that it is, either, so they just let everyone play around with it and then draw their own conclusions. conveniently they can throw up their hands and say they don't know what it's capable of, which just adds to the intrigue for most people

lol, this kinda veered into a rant about marketing but i think they're very much connected. as long as there's profit motive i don't think we're gonna see companies voluntarily restrict their tech demo's abilities

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 29, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not really going to really disagree with anything there. it'd be debate club hairsplitting from here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah, we don't disagree. i think it's a problem too, i just don't see that voluntarily changing. the paper has good suggestions for future models though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Thread:

https://twitter.com/vashikoo/status/1661939940719198212

The Photoshop AI stuff is all built around licensed & royalty-free images, no using artists work in the learning corpus without asking. (of course the PS tools wouldn't be here without the previous success of the less ethical forerunner tools, standing on the shoulders of pirates etc)

Also lol at the Reply Posters absolutely shrieking about this being the MURDER of CINEMA

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 30, 2023