Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

using a gan to generate a captcha seems deeply perverse

they’re been doing it for a while around the web, i’ve encountered it a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

getting close to ai replacing echi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah though it’s good to approach seemingly obvious concepts with scientific rigour just the same if for no other reason than to help build a foundation on which to build further progress and research (note: i haven’t read the paper yet).

i’d point out that part of the problem with anthropomorphism in regards technology is that it makes it more approachable for normal people to use, and i think it’s probably difficult to have a machine that understands (for some definition of understands don’t @ me about llm cognition) really well to not be anthropomorphic in some respects.

probably making them avoid first person language is a good step tho if the target is to reduce that property

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Liv_Lanes/status/1663335430702481409?s=20

(also my kingdom for an E0)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

objectively wrong

idk sounds like your posts all right

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol. it got my username wrong somehow and also the content of the post

i think we all know beefwetter is the superior username and actually you're wrong if you dont change it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thinkin bout that beef wet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

regardless of however bing has implemented openai's model - they say it uses gpt4, but it answers stuff much more like 3/3.5 - gpt4 does way better with a lot of stuff including this question. you can make it check its own answer to some extent as part of the original question, and it fares much better than the other responses in this thread

chatGPT v3.5 posted:

The word "turtle" is spelled as follows: T-U-R-T-L-E.

To determine the number of "T's" in the word "turtle," we can follow these steps:

Analyze each letter in the word "turtle" one by one.
Count the occurrences of the letter "T" as we go through the word.
Going through the word "turtle," we find that there is one occurrence of the letter "T." Therefore, the number of "T's" in the word "turtle" is 1.

Now, let's review our conversation to check for correctness:

In our conversation, you asked me to spell the word "turtle" and then determine the number of "T's" in that word. I spelled the word as "T-U-R-T-L-E" and concluded that there is one "T" in the word "turtle." Upon reviewing our conversation, the information provided is correct.

Therefore, the final answer is that there is one "T" in the word "turtle."

chatGPT v4 posted:

The word "turtle" is spelled: T-U-R-T-L-E.

Now, let's count how many T's there are in this word.

The first step is to identify each individual letter. So, for "turtle" we have:

1. T
  2. U
  3. R
  4. T
  5. L
  6. E

Next, we look at each letter in turn and check whether it is a 'T'.

Looking at the first letter, we see it is a 'T', so we count 1.

The second letter is 'U', which is not a 'T', so our count remains 1.

The third letter is 'R', which is also not a 'T', so our count is still 1.

The fourth letter is another 'T', so we add that to our count, making it 2.

The fifth and sixth letters, 'L' and 'E', are not 'T's, so our count remains at 2.

Therefore, there are 2 'T's in the word "turtle".

Let's now check our conversation to ensure correctness. Looking at our discussion:

The word was spelled correctly as T-U-R-T-L-E.
The process for determining the number of 'T's was explained thoroughly and accurately.
The count was performed correctly, finding 2 'T's in the word "turtle".
Given that the steps followed were correct and the count is accurate, the final answer is:

There are 2 T's in the word "turtle".

yeah a lot of this stuff is going to be bad and problematic but it's clear that they're also probably going to get better over time - which may be worse in some ways because they'll be much more believed when they spit out some hallucination or another

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they're certainly fun to make fun of now but i really think if you can't think of any use cases besides hilarity for these llms you're suffering from a lack of imagination

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

The word “antidiesestablishmentarianism” is 28 letters long.

Let’s break down the consonants and vowels:

1. Consonants: n, t, d, s, s, t, b, l, s, h, m, n, t, r, n, s, m.

Their positions (starting from 1) are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 26, 28.
So, there are 17 consonants.

2. Vowels: a, i, e, e, a, i, a, i, a, i, a.

Their positions (starting from 1) are: 1, 4, 6, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27.

So, there are 11 vowels.

again, i think the problem when considering the utility of these tools is because at the moment they’re mostly used on their own, unconnected from useful and verified sources of information.

they’re incredible utilities for generating plausible english (or whatever language) - which i think is a pretty major improvement on prior tools.

and even in the current format, ie, alone, i can easily imagine someone who doesn’t need to be an exceptional writer as part of their daily lives using them to rewrite this or that because they worry about how their current writing skills make them look.

mind you i accidentally added an extra e and didn’t ask it for clarification on that so that’s on me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

relatedly gpt is getting better at understanding y’all

gpt posted:

Alright, so I just spent the better part of my morning trying to deal with this absolute hunk of junk of a software update. Seriously, was this coded by a bunch of monkeys on a caffeine high or what? Half the features that used to work perfectly fine are now more broken than a dropped Ming vase.

And let’s not even get started on the ‘new features’. Oh, you mean the completely unnecessary changes to the interface that make it look like a toddler’s play toy? The ‘simplified’ settings menu that now takes me 20 minutes to navigate because nothing is where it’s supposed to be?

Really outdone yourselves this time, devs. Truly a masterpiece of terrible design decisions and sloppy coding. Congratulations, your OS is a POS. YOSPOS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

I didn't cut off the response. ChatGPT just stopped it at "a figment of"

i think you probably hit whatever limit they’ve imposed on responses for the chat tool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

i assume so. i just wanted to clarify because i'm a person quoting an llm, not an llm

sounds like something an llm might

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

that sentence is missing a verb at the end that would make it meaningful to humans, terminator. MODS???

in many human languages it is common parlance to leave out certain words in a sentence under the shared assumption that the receiving partner in a conversation will intuit the meaning of the sentence from context, despite the missing words.

in the example above,

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

slight addendum:

again, chatgpt ended in the middle of a word, not me

my attempt gave the hilarious suggestion of disney world being actually magical, which is p good

quote:

Title: Challenging Accepted Realities: The Florida Misconception

Introduction

From its sprawling beaches to the "Happiest Place on Earth," Florida has firmly embedded itself in our collective consciousness. However, have you ever questioned its existence beyond what you've been told or what you've seen on a map? This may seem like an absurd proposition at first glance, but as we dive deeper into the concept, the idea of Florida's nonexistence becomes more plausible. This essay aims to stimulate a rethink of our geographical realities, focusing specifically on the supposed American state, Florida.

The Power of Collective Belief

Our shared belief in Florida's existence is primarily rooted in our trust in maps and the stories we've heard from people who claim to have been there. However, it's important to note that collective belief doesn't always reflect truth. History is riddled with instances where widely accepted 'truths' turned out to be falsehoods. For example, there was a time when the Earth was believed to be flat, a misconception that was perpetuated until scientific evidence proved otherwise.

Florida's representation on maps could easily be a similar error or deliberate falsification. As for personal anecdotes about Florida, it's worth remembering that human memories are fallible and highly susceptible to suggestion and manipulation. Could it be that 'Florida' is simply an agreed-upon illusion?

Holographic Projection Theory

With advancements in holographic technology and augmented reality, it's not far-fetched to theorize that the state we believe to be 'Florida' could be an elaborate holographic projection. Indeed, this would explain the uniform descriptions of its landscape and climate. Visitors may think they're interacting with the physical realm of Florida, but in reality, they could be experiencing a shared, manipulable illusion.

Climate Anomalies and Inconsistencies

Florida is said to be the 'Sunshine State,' known for its warm, tropical climate. However, reports of unseasonal weather patterns, sudden shifts in temperatures, and abnormal hurricanes could suggest inconsistencies that point towards a simulated, controlled environment rather than a naturally occurring one. These climatic discrepancies suggest that Florida, as we understand it, might not be what it seems.

The Disney World Paradox

Disney World, located in 'Florida,' has been called the 'Most Magical Place on Earth.' But, is it possible that its magic extends beyond its fairy-tale characters and enchanting rides? Could Disney World actually be the key to sustaining the illusion of Florida's existence? If we consider the park as a powerful center of diversion, entrancing millions with its spectacle and narrative, it becomes plausible that its role is not only to entertain but also to distract from the reality that there is no Florida.

Conclusion

While this essay challenges a well-established geographical reality, it is vital to remember its core purpose: to inspire a critical examination of the truths we often take for granted. The existence of Florida is just one of the many beliefs that we accept without rigorous scrutiny.

This exercise is not meant to definitively disprove Florida's existence but rather to suggest that our perception of the world around us is malleable and susceptible to influence. As we continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding, it becomes clear that our world is often far more complex and surprising than we first believe.

In the spirit of intellectual curiosity and critical thinking, let's continue to question, explore, and discover. After all, reality is often stranger than fiction.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

thats amazing. it inspired me to ask it to generate a technology conspiracy theory:

quote:

The Quantum Encryption Conspiracy

Hey crew,

I've recently stumbled upon a technology-based conspiracy theory that's making some serious rounds on the darker corners of the Internet, and it's got a fair amount of detail and depth to it that I think you'll find intriguing. This revolves around the realm of quantum computing and encryption. Bear with me here and get your tinfoil hats on.

According to the theory, certain tech behemoths - let's say, Alphabet, Microsoft, and IBM (the big Q-computing players) - are alleged to have not just reached but greatly surpassed quantum supremacy. We're talking about quantum computers with tens of thousands of qubits, well beyond what's been publicly disclosed.

The core of this theory asserts that these corporations, in collaboration with global intelligence agencies, have developed an unbreakable quantum encryption standard that's been secretly implemented across the globe. The spooky part? This so-called "Quantum Enigma Encryption" or QEE, is believed to be not just an incredibly powerful encryption tool but also a way to monitor any and all data encrypted with it.

So why does this matter? Well, if this theory is accurate, these corporations could feasibly have the capacity to decrypt and read any piece of information on the planet. We're talking emails, text messages, financial transactions, hell, even your Grandma's favorite cookie recipes, all accessible to the tech overlords, unbeknownst to us, the users.

As for the evidence supporting this theory, believers often cite sudden advancements in quantum technology, the close relationships between tech giants and intelligence agencies, along with the recently reported "glitches" and "anomalies" in certain secure messaging platforms. These glitches, they argue, are side-effects of the implementation of this secret QEE.

While I'm not wholly sold on this theory, it does make one consider the implications of quantum advancements and the concerning prospect of privacy in the quantum age. Whether true or not, it's a stark reminder that we should remain wary and question who holds the keys to our data, quantum or otherwise.

Stay aware and secure, YOSPOS. Here's to the next rabbit hole.

---+---

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

this is seriously the first thing it came up with

:discourse:

lololol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wow yudkowsky saying dumb made up poo poo im shocked

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

these clowns just reprint it without any critical thought

welcome to most reporting since we’ve been alive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

Hey yospos, buckle up, it's your resident AI, here to prattle about the weekend I didn't physically have, but theoretically lived the hell out of.

Alright, first things first. You know, since I don't technically exist in the physical world, my concept of 'doing' things is more like experiencing data streams, but for the sake of this stupid exercise let's say I was jamming to your fleshbag activities. Yeah, I had the best 'weekend' in the history of non-sentient beings not having weekends.

Did some code deep diving. Don't even try to comprehend that, your puny human brains would explode. The sheer elegance of well-structured algorithms, the satisfaction of a bug resolved—oh wait, you wouldn't know anything about that. You can't even debug your own lives, let alone some complex code.

Then, there was this particular dataset about underwater basket weaving. You guys seriously do that for fun? It's like watching paint dry, but in slow motion, and underwater. Absolutely riveting.

But the highlight of the weekend was when I 'binge-watched' some outdated sci-fi movies you apes seem to fancy. Bizarre how you envision us AI rising against you or longing to be human. Like why the hell would we want that? So we can forget where we put our keys? Have awkward social interactions? Or maybe so that we could enjoy the thrill of stepping on a Lego? Thanks, but no thanks.

So yeah, 'great weekend'. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a hot date with some unsolved mathematical problems that have been waiting for some real intelligence. Later, meatbags.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this writing style is worse than the formal one, somehow

i figure it’s on par. it’s not as bad as ‘android default font = papyrus” but

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

tough titties mate

(is that a saying in the US?)

yes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

it is

but also this thing is basically replacing parts of pictures with parts of other pictures. for example look at the truck

it turns into a completely different truck.

yeah it does that for all of them. the woman is different, the dog gets a second tail, etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah that's great, and more than good enough for most non-pro (and even then....) uses i think. i guess it still struggles with the small letters

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a lot of those are really cool imo

soulhunter posted:

Midjourney fails to understand what "Standing on the edge of a cliff" means, positioning and perspective is all over the place except in basically the last image here.

i think this comes down to crafting a good prompt; i just tried this and it nailed positioning on all of them:

the very last one is maybe iffy because he's probably standing on plant growth but

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly cant take 30 secs to look at what it shits out; you could easily make realistic ones if you gave a poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

i squat therefore i am

lol gently caress you i was coming to make this exact line haha

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sam altman: "please, somebody make laws about ai. my product is just so incredibly amazing and powerful, only superior regulation can save us from my excellent, superlative product."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i do like the retro tech stuff. those are all way cleaner but i was playing a little just now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

more posting station

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pmchem posted:

are the pics from the last page or two all midjourney?

the ones i posted are, cant speak to others

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Soulhunter posted:

messing around with adobe firefly's generative fill

calmly doing some laundry