Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rotor posted:

i thought this was a neat article.

not really groundbreaking or whatever, but just one more hosed up thing about ai images

https://medium.com/@socialcreature/ai-and-the-american-smile-76d23a0fbfaf

I think the article is sort of true but the prompts were stuff like:

quote:

Example prompt (2nd Photo): "A group of male Norse, Dane, and Vikings huddled together and is taking a group selfie picture together in 793 CE. They are drinking ale at a feast in a Viking longhouse. They are all wearing traditional Viking armor and helmets. Everyone smiling directly at the camera. The image is photorealistic, has natural lighting, and is taken with a front-facing phone selfie camera by one of the Vikings. --ar 3:2 --s 1000 --no phone --v 5 --q 2"
so yeah no poo poo the image has modern cultural elements in it, they asked for a selfie picture and got selfie smiles

E: to be clear the author of the article didn't write the prompt, that's from the OP on Reddit. Do not read the reddit discussion it's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't understand why that even works - if a computer generated it shouldn't it be particularly easy to classify as well?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Or is it actually just to generate/score training data

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The image manipulation (rather than pure creation) tools like that and the photoshop fill one definitely seem like the clearest "this will be extensively used by professionals" cases

buying clothes online from brands you don't already know is going to go from hard to impossible

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Filtering suivellence footage seems like a real use case for ai
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-66508840.amp

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I used to work for a company that had a very specific problem, that ai solved nicely. We had a bunch of photos of flats/hotel rooms/houses all untagged and were showing hero images on a website by picking a random one (first alphabetically by however they were named). Unfortunately a non zero amount of the time this was a photo of the accomodations toilet, and our product people objected whenever they got a search or filter page full of toilet pics.

The solution was to feed all our photos into our cloud providers generic image tagger, and mark any that came back as "toilet", "bathroom" etc. as not suitable for hero images. Worked perfectly!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

akadajet posted:

what does tencentbot think about the tiananmen square massacre?

I was kind of curious about this but the Baidu chatbot requires a chinese phone number. the economist claims that it says covid started with american vape users which imo makes it the best chatbot yet https://www.economist.com/business/2023/09/03/meet-ernie-chinas-answer-to-chatgpt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/12/a-teens-fatal-plunge-into-the-london-underworld

Very long article in the new yorker about some dodgy London types. When it's revealed that one of them was into crypto and then AI it makes total sense

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm less instinctively hostile to the idea of "ai" than I think most people itt (although I haven't actually found a use for the current gen of llms) but at both my partner's and my own workplace there are people who seem to have been given a remit to introduce AI and are now going around looking for use cases. Not in a like "what are the orgs problems, and how can we solve them" way, but in a "how can we use AI to do something" way. It's less bad at mine since they are fairly segregated and leadership said at the start that it was mainly a marketing thing (not that that hasn't stopped the team self selecting into the most fervent true believers) but at hers they have actual power, and are really fudging the data to try and make it look useful.

Like taking stats for work that was done were the ai tool was interacted with (because people are told to) and counting that as ai-produced work, even if the llm's output was entirely disregarded. They're trying to take a set of teams that are producing world leading output and get something that is mostly only capable of producing blogspam to replace them.

e: spoke to some people and read some things and it turns out Gartner analysts absolutely love "ai" branded things, even for obviously nonsense use cases.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.packback.co/

I did some quick research on reddit and you'll never guess who has to pay for it it's the students lol

e: wow