Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or, in general, the quality of work will drop just a bit more as gpt output becomes "good enough", because no one is going to pay to do something well when it can be done poorly for free and there's functionally no difference between the two in terms of monetary returns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i work with a number of artists and artist adjacent people (collectors, gallery owners) specifically because the one thing they have no interest in knowing is what buttons to push. it's not a thing that fits into their mental model for the world, and for quite a while that was fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not saying it's the end of art, any more than it's the end of writing. people will still draw and paint and write and create because that's what they want to do, they just will have a much harder time monetizing it, and i think it's going to be almost impossible to make available for free without it immediately getting ripped off by the plagiarism engines

on the commercial side, you'll see a general dip in quality across the board, mirroring what you already see out of lovely content mills, because the output is good enough for free that there's no sense paying for anything better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. remember songsmith?

is there a music gpt model yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

still working out what glasses look like, and, well, refraction

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you could reasonably guess a valid windows 95 serial

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

#aicinema, an interview with someone using midjourney and photoshop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

when i think 'yospos' i think 'sophisticated humor and wordplay'

oh, word?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

using a gan to generate a captcha seems deeply perverse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just based on the abstract, yes, gpt based llms are being intentionally designed to provide responses in a way that anthropomorphises them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

@mediaphage, re: your recent statements on llm cognition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i skipped 5 pages. did i miss anything important

ask chatgpt for a summary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Paladin posted:

Also shares some interesting insights about AI glasses and the future of AI in music.

pretty good, it wrote two lines about my posts and one of them is objectively wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i do certainly lack the capacity to imagine the value of generating vast quantities of grammatically accurate text with little to no relationship to any kind of reality, outside of seo and advertising

if what it outputs needs to be convincing but inaccurate, it's fine. if you need anything else, an llm is not going to do the job

assuming that this will somehow be "solved" is a lot like assuming "autonomous driving" will be solved in any way that doesn't involve redefining the term to match the actual capabilities of the tool

it's an interesting technology in a very academic sense, because the practical applications of grammatically correct nonsense are fairly limited and you cannot ever guarantee that it will output anything else

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 30, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

again, i think the problem when considering the utility of these tools is because at the moment they’re mostly used on their own, unconnected from useful and verified sources of information.

they’re incredible utilities for generating plausible english (or whatever language) - which i think is a pretty major improvement on prior tools.

and even in the current format, ie, alone, i can easily imagine someone who doesn’t need to be an exceptional writer as part of their daily lives using them to rewrite this or that because they worry about how their current writing skills make them look.

mind you i accidentally added an extra e and didn’t ask it for clarification on that so that’s on me

i think the practical application of these tools is incredibly niche because the ability to create grammatically correct sentences completely without an understanding of the source or context is limited, and the underlying concept of tokenizing existing content and statistically correlating to generate output is not going to result in anything more complex than that within our lifetimes

shitposting as a service could reasonably replace huge swaths of the something awful forums, but i don't know that there's a commercial application for that beyond duping rubes

if you need it to generate something better than what you've written already, you have a problem unless you're functionally unable to write in the language you've chosen, and even then you have a problem, because you probably can't effectively vet the output

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 31, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

an infinitely more verbose version of is not actually an effective translation tool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

probably shouldn't cite authoritative sources for incorrect data

why not? the word citation often appears in sentences, and "the oxford dictionaries" are an often used citation for words

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Thread:

https://twitter.com/vashikoo/status/1661939940719198212

The Photoshop AI stuff is all built around licensed & royalty-free images, no using artists work in the learning corpus without asking. (of course the PS tools wouldn't be here without the previous success of the less ethical forerunner tools, standing on the shoulders of pirates etc)

Also lol at the Reply Posters absolutely shrieking about this being the MURDER of CINEMA

https://twitter.com/DerBren/status/1663500637739384832

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh absolutely, as long as you're an investor and we're sufficiently creative with the definition of "solve"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you find yourself marvelling at this stuff, just remember that plowing your mom resulted in a significantly more complex cognitive model than anything these clowns have managed to date, with a considerably lower upfront cost

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 31, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jemand posted:

The other lesson I'm learning, though, is just how little quality matters in the modern business. In the sense that these are targeting "worse, but cheaper" market segments, and forcing everything down those lines by removing any quality offering from the market at all, it may be a lot more successful than I think it will be. Throwing poo poo demos over the wall and everyone important getting out of there before the inevitable error explodes the business model is actually a probably pretty viable strategy for most startups.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turns out it's not worth paying to do right, but it is worth paying to do wrong as long as you can get away from it before anyone notices

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i literally do not believe that is true

i specifically do not believe that the "ai" decided to attack the operator for any reason like the one they suggest, and that if any of it actually happened at all, that they have even the slightest inkling why the operator was attacked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds like a very simplified, apocryphal, version of one of these https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRPiprOaC3HsCf5Tuum8bRfzYUiKLRqJmbOoC-32JorNdfyTiRRsR7Ea5eWtvsWzuxo8bjOxCG84dAg/pubhtml

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chalks posted:

it seems hard to believe but it could have been trained in the simulation like one of those genetic algorithms where it's just doing completely random things to try to get the highest score, and randomly killing the operator tended to result in a higher score so it learned to do that.

it doesn't seem to make sense though because if the operator has to give the yes/no on kills then surely this would result in no further kills?

it sounds like it was designed with the unbelievably stupid failure condition of "if you don't hear from the operator, kill the target anyway"

yeah, it's the specification gaming thing, the google sheet i linked is full of them and they're hilarious.

it's just the tech/industry press doing that thing where a story becomes rather embellished as it's retold for a reporter, and again for a general audience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"spooked by our own imaginations" was always an option

infernal machines posted:

i literally do not believe that is true

i specifically do not believe that the "ai" decided to attack the operator for any reason like the one they suggest, and that if any of it actually happened at all, that they have even the slightest inkling why the operator was attacked

https://twitter.com/harris_edouard/status/1664582667382267905

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 2, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

wow yudkowsky saying dumb made up poo poo im shocked

i mean, the headline was basically written for him and his ilk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the previous fifty years of SF were warning in advance about the dangers of people's own imaginations, and ain't nobody learned gently caress all

otoh, cyberpunk has been warning people since, idk, shockwave rider, hell, maybe the machine stops, and at best people decided they were an instruction manual.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this writing style is worse than the formal one, somehow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's like 2008 era sa. obviously the training set is to blame

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

meanwhile, in toronto:

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/1668356551864733698

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as i said in the TO LAN thread, this is pretty indicative of the quality of the candidate. whatever, there's like 100 of them and there are maybe three good ones

if this dipshit wants to pipe stable diffusion and gpt directly into his campaign materials, he can go hog wild because he's probably polling under 1%

e: actually, he's polling at 11%, because sure, why not?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 12, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a lot better than what it does stand for, certainly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

forum's getting closed at midnight, sorry you had to find out like this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mondomole posted:

i.e. how current generation LLMs are close to replacing lower knowledge workers. It's a shame that AI researchers feel the need to embellish an already amazing result and lose their credibility like this.

they are not. that is literally not a thing an LLM is capable of doing

like, even ignoring the "we faked the test completely to make a headline", large language models do not have any type of cognitive skill whatsoever.

e: unless your definition of lower knowledge worker is someone writing content mill articles with no interest in veracity or accuracy, then yeah, fair enough

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 20, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fair, but even then i'd bet on 2 and 3 being wrong or partially wrong more often than right

2 requires analysis, which requires contextual knowledge

3 is considerably more difficult than people seem to think with anything but carefully prepared audio clips, or perfect diction in ideal recording environments

as for 1, i mean, regex exists, so maybe LLMs can be a very computationally expensive regex replacement, but i still wouldn't actually trust the output to be accurate

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 20, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that sounds incredibly specific, so i'm curious, but i understand if you can't say more without doxing yourself.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds a lot like digital haruspicy to me, but i can see GPT based models competing favourably with existing models if only because the accuracy probably isn't particularly high to begin with

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's useful. any accuracy errors there in terms of brand/manufacturer matching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mondomole posted:

In this particular case, spot on. I can definitely come up with bad labels; the question is how much worse are they than existing ones and doing it by hand. One key challenge is that you can probably extract the most value from recent entities that aren't followed by anybody, but these also won't be in the GPT-4 dataset. In principle this is solvable since you can summarize the last N years of "important product developments" using quarterly filings by feeding in those filings and asking GPT-4 to label the entities before moving on to the sentiment prompts. But right now it's not practical to do this for all companies and then also give all company context before every prompt. This gets into the realm of needing to train your own models, and right now it's not cost effective to do that for what we would gain, which is some super noisy estimate of "good" or "bad." If Moore's law manages to kick in here, I can see how in a few generations of GPT we might be able to automate a lot of this kind of work.

sorry, when i wrote "there" i was referring to that style of query rather than the specific example you used

i'm curious why the roi on training your own model is so low though