Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

drat that’s too realistic, the cops are literally clones of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wake me up when chatgpt can write and train a chatgpt-like ai but better

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i was looking for a wood chipper and saw a review on the lowes website, which i think had been replied to by some kind of chatgpt bot.

quote:

Dear Dave,
I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with the CJ602E wood chipper/shredder. It sounds like the screws were difficult to remove and you were unable to find a replacement screw because of its custom head. It's disappointing to hear that the unit is not very serviceable and that the blades ended up being a gimmick. At Snow Joe + Sun Joe we stand behind each product we manufacture. Our toll-free number is 866-766-9563 (Monday through
Friday from 9am-8pm EST, Saturday and Sunday from 9am-5pm EST). We promise to do
our best to make sure you are satisfied 100%.
Thanks
Customer Service Team
Snow Joe + Sun Joe

i uhh think they should maybe rethink this strategy, the bot sounds like it's making GBS threads on their own products

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i can't believe you'd post a live feed of my dreams like that

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

they can end their miserable existence faster now that they can get scanned by an ai

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MrMoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOSrzEfeftI&t=2554s

Adam Conover is clearly not stupid, but can someone explain the comment (43:55s, after romance novel churn) blaming OpenAI et al?

i'm not sure exactly what part you're asking about.

but the first part is pretty plain from openai's history really. like if you check out their charter it's pretty clear they're hyping themselves up as a group trying to create artificial general intelligence with the explicit goal to do it first so that they can exert control over the use of ai. they're all very concerned (possibly genuinely because they're dipshits) about creating dangerous all-powerful ai and think they're the ones that can solve the problems and help humanity.

of course it's bullshit, they just want to make money but y'know that's just how the valley works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh got it, i wasn't sure if you meant the part where he's talking about social/government/contractual protections or the earlier part.

but yeah i guess my naive take is you probably shouldn't listen to openai (especially the owners) or mark zuckerberg when they talk about regulation. like sure they can ask for regulations, but the owners of the corporations which stand to profit from the field are inherently biased and should not be listened to for policy advice.

i don't think adam is saying that you should reject regulating ai tech because openai is asking for regulation, just that you shouldn't let openai help craft the regulations.

like i would not listen to the ceo of exxon mobil when they're talking about climate change regulation. (not that ai or social media are as big of a threat as climate change, just another example of someone who shouldn't be listened to because of their bias)