Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Problem description: Did the Windows 11 upgrade, pretty much immediately started running into BSOD's whenever I ran any game, so I rolled back to Win 10. I'm still seeing BSODs when playing games now.

Attempted fixes: Tried doing a Windows repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Windows, changed the bios settings back (disabled fTPM), reinstalled all drivers, run the windows ram test (all good) ran a trend micro housecall virus scan, ran a disk integrity check (sentinel, I think it was called?) All good.

Recent changes: I'm fairly sure it was after the Windows 11 upgrade, but, other than that, no hardware or major software changes

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any help massively appreciated! I keep getting an event saying

Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition. For more information, please see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2169931

And have followed that through, but it hasn't fixed anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So you did a completely new install of W10 and the BSODs are still happening? If so, it's possible a hardware failure coincidentally showed up right when W11 was installed.

If you didn't do a full reinstall then the OS might be damaged now.

Do you have multiple SSDs?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zogo posted:

So you did a completely new install of W10 and the BSODs are still happening? If so, it's possible a hardware failure coincidentally showed up right when W11 was installed.

If you didn't do a full reinstall then the OS might be damaged now.

Do you have multiple SSDs?

Yeah, well, I did a repair install, and then I downloaded and mounted an ISO and did an install from that, but, to be fair, it asked if I wanted to install from the cloud or from disk, and I chose disk, so, could that gently caress it again?

I do have multiple SSDs, when I ran the sentinel test it said they were both good. I did notice I have an Ubuntu partition on one of them I'd completely forgotten about, but that's been there forever. Could that effect anything? Should i delete that?

Is there a good way to test my graphics card? I've noticed I only seem to get consistent blue screens now when I'm running more 3D stuff, league of legends and magic arena are both ok for a while (suspect they'd go after long enough), but Darktide still bombs out after about ten minutes.

I don't really understand why the error logs are talking about BIOS stuff if it's the graphics card though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

!Klams posted:

Yeah, well, I did a repair install, and then I downloaded and mounted an ISO and did an install from that, but, to be fair, it asked if I wanted to install from the cloud or from disk, and I chose disk, so, could that gently caress it again?

I do have multiple SSDs, when I ran the sentinel test it said they were both good. I did notice I have an Ubuntu partition on one of them I'd completely forgotten about, but that's been there forever. Could that effect anything? Should i delete that?

Yes, it's possible the local reinstall wasn't thorough enough. The cloud option could help but if the OS is really damaged you might have to backup all your files and do a complete reinstall.

I don't think the Ubuntu partition should be causing BSODs.

!Klams posted:

Is there a good way to test my graphics card? I've noticed I only seem to get consistent blue screens now when I'm running more 3D stuff, league of legends and magic arena are both ok for a while (suspect they'd go after long enough), but Darktide still bombs out after about ten minutes.

Trying another GPU is the best test. But you could run https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master to check CPU temp. and also open task manager and check the performance tab to see if your GPU is running too hot.