Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I dont care about it anymore and if he does i will feel left out for not reading it. Pople will be talking about it and I will want to read it for the wrong reasons (FOMO VS PLEASure). Just nee to get that off my chest.

Thanks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

GEORGE MARTIN IS HERE AND HE'S GOT THE RIGHT STUFF BABY

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

you misspelt "does" in your thread title there mate, no worries though.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I liked 'pople' though. Just a huge crowd of popes hanging around, not reading GRRM books.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I have some bad news, OP

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-20449870

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cum Shartin

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I will never forgive george rr martin for making me marry a wooden puppet at the end of elden ring

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The last book was in the reader's heart and its idea of detailed descriptions of mammoth schlongs all along

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I've heard George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss are teaming up to write a new book together.

Chris Roberts has agreed to publish it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Rebel Blob posted:

I've heard George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss are teaming up to write a new book together.

Chris Roberts has agreed to publish it.

Lol I get that one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol if anyone thinks george r.r. martin is ever publishing another wheel of time book

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I am going to murder you with a nine iron. This is not a joke. I am coming to kill you with a golf club

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Patrick Rothfuss is really terrible though, his main character is a famous business owner and hero with a giant dick who’s also under 30 years old and constantly saves the world. Gimme a homeless, 50 year old fantasy hero with a weird dick and more than one addiction who saves the multiverse from an indescribably evil and complex threat, that’s what I want in a book.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don’t think he self publishes op, someone else will publish the next book

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Frank Frank posted:

I am going to murder you with a nine iron. This is not a joke. I am coming to kill you with a golf club

very rude

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Seriously, not cool. This is GBS. If you don’t like someone’s opinion you tell them to commit suicide and then get probed for a week.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Excellent news for you OP! He will not publish his next book in the ASOIAF series. He will maybe publish some bullshit no one cares about though.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
They already finished the show so why would he write more books lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I heave good news for you, op, gurm is way too busy chowing down at all the good restaurants in Santa Fe to have any time to write

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he's writing 20 page descriptions of each meal to use in his next book

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

A Song of Ice and Fire isn't done until I get graphic descriptions of every character getting diarrhea.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The Pig With the Big Balls we've all looked at has tiny, shriveled up raisins compared to George RR Martin for helping out with a prequel before finishing the book he swore he was going to finish back in 2005 or whatever while he was collaborating with HBO to do a tv series, so the writers of THAT project could finish it for him, because he painted himself into a corner.

He's a fart bag.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Gimme a homeless, 50 year old fantasy hero with a weird dick and more than one addiction who saves the multiverse from an indescribably evil and complex threat, that’s what I want in a book.

Discworld will always be where it's at.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

I dont care about it anymore and if he does i will feel left out for not reading it. Pople will be talking about it and I will want to read it for the wrong reasons (FOMO VS PLEASure). Just nee to get that off my chest.

Pople Doe Poepoes, especially George Martin (presumably, never heard of him).

Edit:

OK, he noe doe poepoes any more (if that's the same George Martin). :rip:

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 17, 2023

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I tried to read A Song of Ice and Fire but gave up at the prologue. That's my GoT story.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Four more years!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bossy lady posted:

I will never forgive george rr martin for making me marry a wooden puppet at the end of elden ring

I felt so puzzled. It wasn't like we had a romance.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

The Pig With the Big Balls we've all looked at has tiny, shriveled up raisins compared to George RR Martin for helping out with a prequel before finishing the book he swore he was going to finish back in 2005 or whatever while he was collaborating with HBO to do a tv series, so the writers of THAT project could finish it for him, because he painted himself into a corner.

He's a fart bag.

you should see dude go to town on a plate of food in person, then you'd understand where his true loyalties lie

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bossy lady posted:

Spoilers!!!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is game of thrones good? Should I watch it? Read it? Both?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
IMO, it's very unfair to compare GRRM to Rothfuss.Rothfuss wrote... two thirds of a book. One book that did well but left a whole lot unresolved, one really crummy sequel to try and continue the trilogy, and then... Then he fled the whole fantasy scene in shame. GRRM has an absolutely massive body of work collected over the years. Guy made a lot of books and short stories. Pretty sure he's still putting out new material, too.

It's just that I'm pretty sure he hates A Song of Fire And Ice/Game of Thrones, or maybe just really hates the fans, and is intentionally loving with them.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 17, 2023

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

bossy lady posted:

Thanks for spoiling the ending

No seriously ty i dont have time to play through it right now

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Is game of thrones good? Should I watch it? Read it? Both?

i dont know man

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

I heave good news for you, op, gurm is way too busy chowing down at all the good restaurants in Santa Fe to have any time to write

that is good news. now i m curiosa bout all the restraints he's going to. which ones

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I never watched Game of Thrones when it was newly broadcast, but I started watching it a couple of months ago and I'm on the last season and it's pretty good

That's my G. Ray Ray Martini story

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Applewhite posted:

I tried to read A Song of Ice and Fire but gave up at the prologue. That's my GoT story.

very much the same

a coworker once lent it to me and within the first like ten pages there's loving magic pet wolves and purple-eyed incest twins, it was honestly like a parody of bad fantasy

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
In all honesty, I think Martin was a victim of his own prejudice.

What made Song so amazing (for those who did like it) for the first three, beyond the world building, was the plot twists, a lot of which were built on taking the most common plot aspects of such worlds/stories and throwing them out, primarily plot armor. Unfortunately, seen as a whole, it really reads like a man who consumed so much fantasy with these stock plots and characters that he fell into the familiarity breeds contempt trap, and he wrote his books almost with an undertone of not only not following those plots, but spitefully throwing them in the reader's faces. The noble non liar? Oh, he gets his head cut off by the lunatic boy king and basically gets his whole family killed because not only does he not want to play games, he has no capacity to do so, and yet he entered such a place out of a sense of 'honor'. The young king breaks his promise and marries someone else? Oops, same bullshit games gets everyone in his party killed. Why'd he do that, oh his mother treated his supposed bastard half brother who the young king deeply cared for terribly, hence he likely had a subconscious fear to never father a bastard, hence when someone slept with him, he married her near immediately? And so on.

Except there's a REASON that classics are what they are, and tearing up everything and throwing it out the window might not lead to new and interesting roads, but rather, dead ends with you no longer able to move anywhere because all the usual hooks have been destroyed. It says a lot that the first three books came out within five years, the next two were considered much lower quality and came out over the space of twice that time, and there's been no book in that series for 12 years since. Between ripping all the 'usual' methods to bits and being unable to find a good replacement, Martin's in a pit where he feels his world is now just too vast and bloated to proceed forward, and he's given up. Basically, at this point, the best we're probably gonna get is a Duke Nukem Forever situation with someone else taking up the bloated mess of whatever he's done and paring it down into something resembling a conclusion just so IT IS DONE AND PUBLISHED.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The thread in The Book Barn has been running nonstop for 12 years and during that time exactly 1/2 of a full book has been released.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

please forgive me. I didn't mean to spoil the ending to elden ring. I assumed everyone had beaten it by now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
fart