Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss

I'm making a bunch of these for a videogame, but I make so many of them that it's hard to pick out which ones are the coolest or the most interesting - to me they're all just a jumbled mess of pixels.

So anyway I'm going to just post characters and creatures in here as I make them, and if you see one that you think is neater than the others, then tell me! Also feel free to claim one for an av or sig or personal mascot or whatever. If you want to use one I will expedite making a fully-shaded final version of it.

They're going to be used in a video game but I figure the ones that people like are worth putting a little extra effort into :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
many of these guys are cool but i especially like the four-horned guy with the crazy stuff on his belly and the armored looking guy with the blank grey beak for a face

e: and the guy at the bottom with the big eye for a head

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

super sweet best pal

This was a harder question than I expected. I like one, then I see another and that one's great too.

deep dish peat moss

The gist of the game is that you are a space-traveler wandering the cosmos and you are forbidden from interacting with the inhabitants of these minor civilizations. But also you are telepathic and you can communicate with random beings across the cosmos without anyone knowing that you are breaking the rules. And some of them will just be silly little conversations that don't ultimately mean anything, while others will be deeper conversations with more in them, like hints about secret hidden things or them making requests of you and usually if you want to help them the first step is tracking down what planet they live on.

So anyway I want the ones offering the more meaty interactions to be the ones that, in general, people look at and are intrigued by :blush: Thank you for the feedback + any other feedback

I'm going to need several hundred of these for what I have planned and I have already drawn 48 (and counting) today and at this volume I feel like it is impossible for me to measure quality

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 17, 2023

Dumb Sex-Parrot
if your space-traveler had been the traditional adventurous pew-pew sort of guy, these two would definitely have been good candidates:

but for the telepathic guy, I feel you'd need someone more empath-looking. maybe not necessarily a guy/gal with a big bulging head for that big telepathic brain, but defeinitely someone who wouldn't mind hanging out for a while and definitely not the shooting first kind of guy.

maybe work on these, see what pops out:

letting my bias shine through for a moment:

the bird guy, definitely the bird guy

e: as an aside can anyone explain to me why my computer upscales the images? all I've done is screenshot them and cut out the stuff i needed, before uploading to imgur

Dumb Sex-Parrot fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 17, 2023

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Manifisto

these are all pretty cool op. three that caught my eye:

ty nesamdoom!

baka of lathspell

i liked hooded beak guy, evil guy in a spacesuit & the various robots most

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

deep dish peat moss

Now there are even more

And here are some w/ detail added

deep dish peat moss

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

if your space-traveler had been the traditional adventurous pew-pew sort of guy, these two would definitely have been good candidates:

but for the telepathic guy, I feel you'd need someone more empath-looking. maybe not necessarily a guy/gal with a big bulging head for that big telepathic brain, but defeinitely someone who wouldn't mind hanging out for a while and definitely not the shooting first kind of guy.

maybe work on these, see what pops out:

letting my bias shine through for a moment:

the bird guy, definitely the bird guy

e: as an aside can anyone explain to me why my computer upscales the images? all I've done is screenshot them and cut out the stuff i needed, before uploading to imgur

Oh for what it's worth none of these are the player character, these are just denizens of the universe that you might come in contact with.

It's hard to explain the game overall because some parts aren't clearly defined and other parts sound incredibly bad or unexciting piece-by-piece but I have a vision that I'm hoping it all coalesces into. Part of it is that it is spiritually a Roguelike, but explicitly not using any kind of procedural generation - everything in it will be hand-made, but with a volume of content that makes it feel randomized like a procedurally generated roguelike, and all kinds of vague and cryptic variables that control what you get (to emulate randomization).

So when you chat with a random being of the cosmos, there's some rube goldbergian switch flipping and variable calculations and die rolls that happen in the background and that determines who you chat with. And all of these are the random characters that you will make contact with. So mostly I'm just hoping to see which characters people like or engage with because they are the ones that the player will interact with more, like having longer conversations with them, or big comedic moments, or unique mechanics or things that only happen with them. And on the otherhand some of them are going to be kind of throwaway characters that maybe say something funny and you chat for a minute and that's it - and those should be, in general, the less exciting designs because I don't want the player seeing a character they think is cool as hell and then it turns out to just be a throwaway character.

I haven't settled on the protagonist/player design yet but it's going to be something vastly different from all of these (like a spirit, or an ancient AI or something idk), like the player is explicitly not a "lifeform" (or maybe they are a god or something) and that is why they are forbidden from interacting with the mortal residents of the cosmos. But then you get telepathy and you can't exactly control it to talk to specific people but you start using it to just chat with random cosmic residents, like a PSYHAM radio or something

But all of the posts ITT are good feedback and give me the kinda thing I need :cool: It's more like "Which ones of these aliens would you want to hang out with"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss

I mean a lot of them are going to have "quests" that are just things like, they're depressed and if you feel like it you can chat with them and learn more about why, and then sometimes help them through it in ways that are different for each of them. And in some of those cases it could involve actually physically doing things in space, like getting a rare item and then puzzling out where they live and delivering it to them, which might even involve walking around the planet they live on and trying to find them. And after you do that maybe they have more to talk about, or sometimes maybe they'll offer you a favor or give you a rare item (but there's not always a "reward" sometimes it's just more chatting and more character progression for them) (and also being careful not to imply that depression is a quest you can send someone on to fix for you, like you know, it would involve them getting better themselves after you sparked something in them by showing them the right item and saying the right thing at the right time, idk)

And that's a questline I might want to write for a character that no one really likes or thinks is cool, because that's kind of the point. But for other types of quests like where someone needs you to help them with some kind of outlandish plan to conquer a planet, it should be a character that people gravitate to so that players are drawn into committing this cartoonish atrocity by the conqueror's charisma. (not that all the characters people like ITT will be evil tyrants or anything)

:hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 18, 2023

Khanstant
https://i.imgur.com/wASBtYK.png

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss

Oh yeah there's also all of these from last week

Khanstant

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

deep dish peat moss

deep dish peat moss

All aliens get much cooler with just a little bit of basic shading.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 18, 2023

baka of lathspell

love the fish with goggles, the minotaur bee, the hypnovision robot, the bear, the sunglasses mouse, and the deer ones

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i love the sombrero dude and have claimed them!!!

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

deep dish peat moss

Here's even more but wow it looks like the bottom middle guy has a huge bulge and this is supposed to be moderately family friendly lol

baka of lathspell

Sarah Cenia posted:

i love the sombrero dude and have claimed them!!!

its all good but i didnt draw him lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

deep dish peat moss

For what it's worth these are all scaled to 2x and if you shrink them 50% they will be about 128px tall at most, which would fit in an av :hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss

baka fwocka fwame posted:

the minotaur bee

It's a bumblebehemoth and I plan to have several titanic bee creatures hidden around the universe :tipshat:

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

baka fwocka fwame posted:

its all good but i didnt draw him lol

im just gonna blame that on the a-a-a-alcohol lol whoops thanks ddpm!!!!!!

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

big black turnout

I like this top left one because it isn't clear how it communicates so I'd want to telepath it

Khanstant

deep dish peat moss

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
This feels like highschool all over again :smith:

deep dish peat moss

Here is all of the character pixel art I have done so far in the month of March :hmmyes:

Manifisto

very impressive op! also I like the detail you have added to some of your character ideas!

ty nesamdoom!

nut

from th e first to the last this remained my fav

nut

whoah i wasn't ready for it to be multiple, it's the top right one

deep dish peat moss

Thanks :unsmith: It's amazing how much a little basic shading adds to the design + then I can go back and add like, patterned clothes or whatever later. Here's the most recent version of all the ones I've added to (including many that weren't in the last post b/c I just did them) which I'm posting mostly b/c I needed to separate them out into individual images anyway, but also because I want to see them all in one place :hellyeah:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 19, 2023

Dumb Sex-Parrot
oh hell yeah

i like big bee guy

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Manifisto

I like the Thing/cyclops/tripod creature

deep dish peat moss

Hey look there are 120 of them now that have at least basic shading :hellyeah: pokemon eat my dust!!

deep dish peat moss

And after today I get to go through my monthly "trouble refilling meds" ritual :hellyeah: So after tonight I will probably not get much done until they get refilled on (hopefully) thursday but this time I'm gonna focus on not letting it destroy my mental health so I'm just going to lay in bed and hang out with my cats and stuff.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
woah i just noticed space pirate parrot guy. new fave!