Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Duckman2008 posted:

Somebody get Teddy Roosevelt to post here !

Endless typos while he types on horseback / fighting poison along the Amazon river / retrieving his phone from the maw of an African lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I keep hearing noise about the pending BRICS currency (bricbucks?) that will be formally announced in August and diminish the status of America's reserve currency and somehow unite the world against America & Its Buddies while also bringing back the gold standard.

Would so many countries, even rivals and otherwise violent neighbors, band together to hurt the US dollar, with cutting off SWIFT access to Russia being the catalyst?

And the supposed use of gold to peg this new currency's value - doesn't every gold-backed currency turn to poo poo 'cause 1) no country wants to exchange their gold hoard over and 2) eventually every country tries to print its way out of catastrophe and gold can't keep up with that kind of desperation?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 10, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Thank you everyone for the BRICS responses so far, this was exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping would emerge. My piss-poor link (retrieved as an afterthought in case someone wanted the basics) underscores how the formation of BRICbucks is still little more than a hype game being used by gold peddlers and fearmongers, but I repeat myself.

This thread is a balm whenever I'm around the tinfoil sect of economic commentators.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lockback posted:

South Africa affirming that they'd arrest Putin if he stepped on their soil seems like not a great endorsement to the S in BRICS

https://apnews.com/article/south-africa-ramaphosa-putin-arrest-warrant-c62b4be0fd177d827214199cb60db98f

“I must highlight, for the sake of transparency, that South Africa has obvious problems with executing a request to arrest and surrender President Putin,” he said. “Russia has made it clear that arresting its sitting president would be a declaration of war.”

“It would be inconsistent with our Constitution to risk engaging in war with Russia,” Ramaphosa added.

Sounds like South Africa really doesn't want to arrest Putin.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is the AI engineer propping up a bunch of sex workers or what, how are they valuable

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hypnophant posted:

you cannot take Sam Altman or Elon musk at face value when they talk about what tech will be able to do in the future. They are hype men who are paid outrageous sums of money to tell the most outrageous lies about what capabilities their product will offer. In a sense they are not even selling to the users of their products; the real money comes from bilking the investor class.

Trying to remember where I saw it, but a few years back Musk did a Q&A... in China...? where someone asked how a major city could possibly go green. Musk made a face like he was running the numbers in his head and said something like, "You can build a giant solar farm and use these special cables to connect it to the city and bam, everything is powered by xx gigawatts of green energy," and the whole place broke into applause over him lending his genius insight of "just do it" to their desperate plight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Aren't fast food franchises tempering expectations in the face of fewer people affording their inflated menu prices? Seem to remember that coming up a couple times in the past quarter.