Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

harperdc posted:

A fun little side effect of the IRA’s investments and incentives for EV components, and the current hate-boner for Chinese components. I would imagine Ford is not the only OEM looking at this setup.

A while (over a year) back I posted about how many industrial batteries I was seeing imported.

That was all CATL. CATL is like 80-90 percent of all industrial battery imports to the US in recent years.

Basically all manufacturing that is adding battery and hybridizing their systems or adding the capability to store power from n cheaper times of the day, or to not lose the plant when brownouts happen, all of that is basically all CATL.

Edit: I thought I was in another thread… oops.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Half of those categories (housing and food) are being affected by algorithmic pricing that basically let businesses act like cartels without having to be cartels/monopolies. The rental pricing algorithm companies are pretty well documented at this point. On the retail side it’s come out that Amazon explicitly designed algorithms to do that (though they’ve stopped using the specific ones mentioned in articles).

On the grocery side there is less information and it’s not always clear who does price setting for individual goods (often it’s the suppliers, especially when it’s the bigger ones). But going to nearby stores of the same chain in neighborhoods with different demographics it’s clear pricing (and the stocking of generics) varies by store. I’ve been playing around with my purchases of individual items and purchase locations, and it very much seems like I can drag higher prices of individual low volume items from higher priced stores to lower priced ones.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

drk posted:

But, overall, wages rose more than inflation.

Thing is nobody cares about the aggregate. When you average or assert “overall“ one erases nuance and that specific demographics are disproportionately affected.

It’s like the elephant curve (the Lakner-Milanovic graph). Global growth was great on average, it was great over all. But hey it’s not like we have an international fascism problem now, because of all the: on average a rising tide lifts all boats talk.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

drk posted:

Sure it erases nuance, but only focusing on things that have increased in price more than the aggregate ignores the things that increased *less* in price than the aggregate.

Personally, as someone who has not been in the market for a new house or vehicle in the past few years, I would say I am much better off than I was in 2020. If I had bought a new house and car, I dont think I would feel the same way. And yes, increases in food and energy prices affect everyone, but my wages have gone up by more than enough to cover the difference.

I think a lot of the consumer grumbling about inflation is that people want 2023 wages with 2019 prices.

My wages haven’t and the pandemic caused a move.

I think it’s extremely important to ask these questions of: for who? I mean think about it this way: I have 2020 wages and 2023 prices. There is a lot of variation here. Some folks are much worse off and to the ones disproportionately affected. And a lot of it is proximity to price insensitive folks. Where I am bone in whole Turkey was 1.79 to 2.69 a pound (at the same chain) and where my parents are it was .49 a pound. That wide of a variation is well above any transportation costs differences.

Pricing has almost completely departed from cost based calculations to “value” / market based. It’s bifurcated, if you live in a rich area some prices are stunningly high. An average doesn’t capture how angry less well off folks who live proximate to well off folks (and thus get the higher prices) are going to be.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

but there are also "normal" people who are doing better.

https://rooseveltinstitute.org/2022/04/04/increasing-wages-for-low-income-workers-is-key-for-a-full-economic-recovery/

There is a graph in this link : Figure 1. Average Hourly Real Wage Changes by Occupational Percentile, January and February 2020–2022

50th percentile looks to be about 0% in mean average wage change. For most average or better folks relative wages fell 2020-2022 based on that graph.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Do we have more recent figures Lockback?

I’ve seen average salary increase data for b this year but not anything that deals with hourly folks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Whereas regular grocers selling normal packaged foods are being squeezed by inflation hitting costs and consumer's inability to spend more to keep up.

Some of the items that have increased substantially, particularly packaged items think Oreos, chips, canned soups, etc. A lot of that the grocer isn’t the price setter, which I briefly mentioned earlier. They sell the shelf space to manufacturers, manufacturer sets pricing, in some cases stocks the shelves on their own independent of the chain, and the sales money merely passes through the grocery retailer. (My dad used to stock a half shift for Nestle after hours at the SweetBay store he worked at when we needed money)

So some of the increases might not show up in the grocers margin, and instead would be in the manufacturers. Or the grocers margin increase could lag the manufacturers increase by a year or two depending on when shelf space contracts came up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

In short, there's no technocratic fix to the inequality in America. It's a political problem which must be addressed by Congress - the Fed simply doesn't have the tools, or the authority, to try and address it.

This I agree with. The answer is pretty clearly to tax the rich.

I’ll have to play with that Fed page when I’m at a computer to see if I can get it to break out by income percentile.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

That's not due to gouging, the rural store has higher shipping costs, probably higher spoilage due to less dense customer base, etc.

Do the math. I’m serious here. You’ll find it’s not.

I did the math on the Turkey price per pound difference between my location (Seattle suburbs) and my parents (northern Florida). It’s not transportation.

Most grocery frozen warehousing is in the Chicago area. I know the warehouse used for the specific chain. So how much does a reefer rail car hold net? 194,000 lbs. At .49 cents a pound what is that worth? At 1.79 a pound what is that worth? At this point in the math (with a straight face) tell me those costs, that the shipping accounts for that difference. One doesn’t have to get very far at all to see that’s bullshit.

Now think about that rural store vs your St. Paul store. Think about a truckload, what’s the relative cost difference in shipping for a truck load to St. Paul vs the rural location. A dry or reefer trailer is going to be 44,000 ish pounds payload. Be generous assume they aren’t going to get a back haul from the rural location.

You’re going to find the difference doesn’t make sense. Pricing variation is well above relative transportation and shrink cost differences, because it’s value/market based not cost based.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 28, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

You ignored the other factors pretty conveniently.

Present your calculation.

Of course I did because I know what they are. I’m a marine guy. I work stock throughput and transportation claims. I know what these costs are and how they vary across the country. A 20-30 cent per pound difference makes sense. A buck or nearly a buck fifty per pound difference very very much does not.

Pull some sku prices in person at the stores you want to compare. Call a trucking broker and figure out how much the trucking is. Look up typical shrink rates ( or just outright ask a manager at the stores )

See if the relative price differences makes a goddamn bit of sense.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

Basically, if you think the there's a huge margin to be made by your parents grocery store why don't you get a group together and undercut that store? The margins are astronomical, if you cut prices by a third you'd be giving people lower prices and still making tons of money. Maybe there's a reason that hasn't happened yet?

That was my very first thought actually. I should arbitrage a rail car of turkey, goddamn.

I don’t know that we can assume that profits would even show up. These chains are constantly buying each other, spinning off regionally, being acquired by equity, etc. There is plenty of debt to shed in good times. I think a more detailed dig into actual reports is probably warranted.

Lockback posted:

Yes, a company prices things so that they make the most money, that's not new. That has literally always been true. But its also not different now, and food prices in particular are very stuck to cost-basis as they are generally elastic

This part is different now. They are very much using POS data to price set by market independent of cost basis.

And I very much would push a large portion of it back down to the producers. It’s not like there haven’t been several recent price fixing cases for things like egg and meat.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

there's probably more cost in the last mile than in shipping to a regional warehouse anywhere in the conus

It’s not that much of a difference though. A rail car strips in 3.5 X 40’ cans. Drayage to the local frozen warehouse… then last mile to the stores. The difference between Seattle and north Florida for those things isn’t hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

but dollar general? no one's in a hurry to acquire dollar general

I wouldn’t even consider dollar general the same segment honestly. But the food lion, piggly wiggly, Harvey’s, sweet bay level is constantly getting bought back and forth by the equity companies like south eastern groceries.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They just hit rose acre now for fixing that occurred in 04-08, so give it decade before we hear about it. Yes the avian flu contributed. Yes the Ukraine war has been contributing. These things aren’t exclusive and they’re all partially explanatory. There was a break down done several months ago for the European price increases. All of the things, all of us are talking about had percentages of contribution in the 20-25 percent range of the total inflation. I’m getting on a flight now I’ll see if I can dig that up later.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

Your parent's grocery store isn't able to sell an entire rail car full of frozen turkeys. You're missing an entire distribution step.

Or for the frozen warehousing and spotting they have national contracts and rates with vendors so I don’t really have to care.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lol it was half

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2023/06/26/europes-inflation-outlook-depends-on-how-corporate-profits-absorb-wage-gains

Half of the European inflation was corporate profits, per IMF.

Baddog posted:

(and related to this discussion, the FTC shouldn't let the krogers/albertsons merger go through, but they are too distracted by "big tech" to pay attention to a real goddamn problem).

Yes you are correct. They 100% should not have allowed it.

Baddog posted:

Kind of the entire issue

I reached that same conclusion quickly. The big thing for me was that they likely purchased at a huge quantity. I would not get whatever price they did for my single rail car. I can get buyers, I mean I arrange salvage sales regularly. Then the question was well why aren’t the other grocers undercutting them , which rolled back to the krogers/albertsons merger.

I’ve seen just about everything that’s transported by vessel (which is everything including people and all the high consequence ). I’m not saying these things from a outside perspective. If the rail car reefer fails and they lose 100 tons of pork , I’m taking pictures of the frozen maggots and totaling the costs from the freight invoices and commercial invoices.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the accounting allocates the big delta to merchandising/transportation costs

Merchandising includes sales discounting. That’s going to be it I’d bet. Watch your own grocery store, watch the pattern of normal price to sale discount that occurs right before new stock inventory arrives. Ask which day they get trucks. Look at the posted prices, permanent sales, and intermittent sales prices for skus.

I think they are bifurcating. Rich price insensitive folks just buy whatever and don’t care. normal people are price sensitive and wait for reasonable sales prices. That discount may be showing up in merchandising. It’s a stunning delta on some products.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This was posted in USCE

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/11/business/economy/profit-margins-inflation.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

TLDR focus has switched to margin dollar not revenue dollar, and margins are definitely up. Companies have been testing how high they can raise prices.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

More recent wage income data too.

https://www.nber.org/digest/20235/pandemic-related-shifts-low-wage-labor-markets

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

companies have always tested how high they can raise prices

Of course, but they are significantly better at it now. And I think algorithms now allow them to approximate cartel pricing without having to cartel!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

I've spent some time working on algorithmic pricing and I can verify that collusion among pricing algorithms is a real concern. See here for a recent paper.

Well it came out in the Amazon Nessie stuff it was also the explicit goal. The apartment rental price stuff is probably the worst, but that lawsuit is moving forward.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/law/justice-department-clears-the-way-for-collusion-suit-against-apartment-owners-e545f260

If one reads the public comments from RealPage that were in the news that’s also extremely explicit regarding the goal of the algorithm. The RealPage folks are just awful.

Back when I was thinking about this stuff more during grad school the conclusion I reached was : The objective function isn’t.

Basically it’s super easy to pretend that whatever subjective goal one wants and can write into the objective function is automatically objective and fair because it’s an algorithm, and it of course isn’t.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 12, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Those price impulse graphs it’s like a perfectly damped control bringing it right back to a monopoly pricing set point.

That’s something else, that’s stunning.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody can really fully explain why prices would stabilize in an environment of full employment.

Overseas demand destruction.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this makes some sense, especially the decrease in global demand for commodities which has driven total cpi below core cpi, but i guess i would find it mildly surprising that overseas demand could fall enough to bring inflation steadily down while seeing barely any slackening in the domestic labor market.

that explains the historically tight labor market, but in a classical macroeconomics 101 lesson this would be a textbook case of an inflationary environment

Add the supply chain crisis and the reaction of a new trend of supply chains starting to move to be more regional and in country rather than global.

Add the pandemics effects on the labor pool, regarding child care, elder care, retirement, death.

Add the effects of the IRA and CHIPs acts.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

all of these factors are inflationary. Supply shortages are inflationary. Labor shortages are inflationary. Fiscal spending is inflationary. Nevertheless there is disinflation. The things you and Sr. P have brought up are not explanatory, they instead increase the need for explanation.

All these factors also increase demand for labor within the United States!

The move from a more global world to a move regional world starts to move production back on shore (or to Canada /Mexico) and reducing it where it had been occurring overseas.

Other countries have to match our federal reserve moves, but that causes the demand destruction our Fed intended to cause here, in those countries.

The long running feed back loop driving off shoring production for decades is beginning to reverse for the United States, becausev the supply chain crisis happened. Increased international tensions particularly in shipping (like the recent Red Sea diversions ) are going to increase this trend. These also tend to affect Europe Asia trade far more than US Asia trade or US Europe trade.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

drk posted:

I think a lot of people might think that China is the US' largest trading partner, but it isn't: both Canada and Mexico do more trade with the US.

Yep it’s still a big deal though. The rather vulgar metaphor I’ve been using is that we are up to the elbow up each other’s rear end. They can’t really replace our grain (and they tried during the trade war) and we can really replace things like CATL batteries or Rare earths metals. But each country is going to try.

The thing people don’t get is that a lot of trade occurs within the supply chain now. Disruptions affect that type of trade more than they do trade in finished goods.

What would have been best for the world would have been to get even closer.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

, though I haven’t seen any academic papers on changing trade patterns yet.

Sigh. One sees things on the waterfront well before any papers. I see less than I used now that I’m on the claims / insurers side rather loss prevention / regulatory on the carriers side. But I’m still going to see it years before any paper.

I’m rather literally paid to go watch it, in person.

hypnophant posted:

I don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make about a feed back loop, but globalization has been petering off as far back as 2010, and has little to do with the pandemic supply chain problems.

Actually the Great Recession accelerated a bunch of JIT trends it even as it knocked the overall trade volume down. A vitally important thing increased, inventory (and not finished goods in supply chain inventory) moved from warehouses to in transit on containerships, facilitated by extremely low carrier rates. But one wouldn’t have seen that just looking the total amount of trade. And it laid the ground work for the supply chain crisis.

Any way that trend bit everybody in manufacturing in the rear end during the pandemic when rates shot up and delays got excessive.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my naive theory is that the ira/chips act and at least some of the lingering effect of covid stimulus is driving non-inflationary growth. but that's probably only because it matches my priors

I’m not sure people get the size of the facilities opening up between chips and ira. The news is talking about things like GM drawing back. But these auto battery facilities are huge 40-50 fully chartered multipurpose vessels of machinery for each one and all that logistics is already done. The poo poo is mostly here already and installed. The chips stuff was stunningly fast too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

you can't seriously believe you're seeing the whole pattern of global trade from one location.

Not all of it but a very large portion of it, I’m also a phone call away from other people at other ports who are either colleagues or people I’ve trained and I ask what they see. In several categories of vessel, containership, bulk carrier, and handy sized multipurpose I’ve boarded about 20ish % of the world’s fleet in those categories.

I can glean an awful lot of information even just at a glance. I know where to look to get future vessel schedules. I can estimate how much cargo a vessel is carrying just by looking at it. I know if those thousands of containers on deck are empty or loaded by looking at the ships draft. By looking at the container ships I can even know their routes. I see the cargo manifests , bills of lading, and stow plans

But yes, I rather can know a great deal about trade volumes just by looking at a vessel running an Asia - US - Europe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I think the general outcome of the latest crisis is we do not understand macroeconomics nearly well enough to make scientific statements of cause and effect, even with the most basic principles.

I think we should look at global trade with stock and flow modeling instead of the models of macroeconomics. Systems thinking to build models instead of statistics and the assumptions of neoclassical economics.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hypnophant I wrote a response but awful has eaten it and I’m not sure where it posted. I’ll get to redoing it later probably this evening.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Given your perspective, I would really love to hear your thoughts on the below:

Because we backed off JIT (not completely but a fair bit) and how supply chains work incorporated more warehousing and carried inventory costs money.

I wrote this several years ago:

“” posted:

Systems, Business, Trade, Kanban, and Political Economy

This a bit rambling and it's not polished and it's probably not coherant yet. But here it goes.

There is a very useful concept from the Foundations of Cybernetics I’d like to start with. For every technology, be it a physical technology or a conceptual one there is a corresponding set of ideas and concepts, an (or almost) ideology, that allows one to use the technology in question most efficiently. Basically when one has a tool one also has to have a suite of concepts to use that tool most effectively. With that in mind I’m going go all the way back to the beginning. I think one needs to look at the technologies and historical events that gave rise to systems thinking to really understand it. This is a very, very simplified representation of a steam cycle.

Steam cycle

A boiler, boils and then superheats steam, it runs through the turbines which turn a generator, the steam is condensed and then as water it is pumped back into the boiler. Look at the diagram. Obviously the system and the drawing is informed heavily by thermodynamics. But I’m trying to communicate the following characteristics: The circular nature of the cycle, the flows of steam and water represented by lines, and the stocks of various liquids inside each of the parts. The lines showing flows between individual components. This diagram omits controls, but I’ll get to that in a sec. Anyways stocks are how much poo poo (water in a tank, steam in a boiler, etc) X things. Flows are how fast poo poo is moving X things per second. Flows can indicate what will happen in a system, but you need stocks to know when it will happen. Now one of the ways to control systems, is valves. Valves can do things like open and close. Or they can be throttled. Or a line can take pressure feed back from a pipe against a spring tension (or theses days a controller) and keep a flow at a particular rate (a analog solution). These are controls. Controls let one maintain the output one wants across variable inputs. One uses controls to keep a system from blowing up basically.

I’m going to play fast and loose with the history here but eventually WWII happens. During the war there is a lot of development in maths and we get tools like linear programming, that let's one maximize or minimize for desired values. There also is a problem after the war. How the hell does one get a rocket to fly where one want’s it to? Control theory solves this problem. They take concepts, particularly the math for how that pressure control valve works and they apply it to rocketry. Controls theory is how they solve the problem of getting rockets to fly straight. See those simple valves, can be expressed as terms in differential equations. That same math can describe rockets, electronics, etc. All of these things (and some other concepts from other disciplines like ships stability) eventually come together and form a discipline called Operations research. The controls / stock and flow modeling part sometimes gets called the “Differential Equations Paradigm” and eventually we can digitize the industrial controllers with it. Eventually we turn this poo poo on everything. In business operations research gets used as ”management science”. In the sixties Kennedy’s eggheads, the whiz kids, this is the way they’re thinking , the tools they are using. Rand Corp pioneers a lot of this type of modeling. Eventually it becomes one of the standard ways we look at business. Managers use linear programming to maximize production and profits. Businesses are modeled using ideas from the circular stock and flow . That steam cycle, the suite of concepts used to describe that, can also be used to describe a business or business cycles. In fact when executives talk about creating value designing systems is what they mean. And I don’t mean I’m inferring this. I mean I’ve asked, and they give this answer. They are creating circular systems that take in inputs and spit out money. Some of these models get pretty sophisticated look at things like SCOR as good example. And I would remind you this type of supply chain modeling is what makes apple, one of the most valuable companies in the world. It’s what Tim Cook is good at.

Something vitally important to understand. A lot of these models are constructed and then spread. They then get applied and even taught by people who couldn’t have made them and don’t really understand them.
Anyway systems thinking gets used to model economics and trade, the economist Wille posted here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862896&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post488017309
Is a great example amd what prompted this post. And important because it shows how compatible systems thinking is with dialectic though, because of the circular nature of the model. A number of times he talks about using stocks and flows to model trade and currency flows after the switch to fiat currency. He talks at length about using stock and flow models (and I think he is applying them correctly and reaching correct conclusions with them). Think tanks, consultancies (McKinsey is a good current example) they all use models built on these ideas. I’ve done some simple modeling in this area for grad school.

Anyway eventually somebody (the Japanese, but I don’t know enough about the specific people to tell which ones, Toyota is a big player) takes this thinking and comes up with the idea of minimizing inventory (a stock) by balancing logistical flows. One can really supercharge a business’ return on investment by bringing it’s inventory holding costs down as low as possible. This idea is called Kanban. Now the principle here is basically just that pressure control valve I told you about earlier. Flows are controlled to reduce the need for inventory. This idea becomes wide spread. Process management (which is more than Kanban and proceeds it) becomes widespread and largely in conjunction with growing globalization. Something to have in mind. You and I are if we are employees are stocks to be minimized to maximize cash flow and return to shareholders.

I wrote all that to say this. Now we have business systems that are very sophisticated, they use models like SCOR, to minimize their inventories (and again it’s worth noting inventory can be considered include employees) and make more money . But systems with very low stocks tend to be less stable. In physical systems, like the steam cycle, poo poo blows the gently caress up when things go wrong. Now in business where we have managers applying models they didn’t construct and are merely applying (hmmm now that’s familiar) and those models tend reduce stocks, they’re reducing stability in the system.

When it gets too hard to steer around the rocks, sometimes we hit the rocks. And this is the underlying thing that’s been worrying me about this escalating trade war.

Any way after that I posted a good deal about the the health of the containership lines at the time and predicted what would eventually happen in the supply chain crisis. Though I did not realize they would cartel up and voluntarily reduce capacity together ( because that’s human behavior and lol autism).

But to what’s going on now, so after the supply chain crisis firms started holding more inventory to have more stable supply chains. This means warehousing and diversified sourcing some portion of which is more local. That’s less efficient but more stable. So it costs more to make poo poo as a consequence. Good analysis that I’ve seen of how much more have it at being 15% to 25 % of the inflation that happened. So is not a sole factor but it’s a big portion.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 31, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Baddog posted:

We go a few years and supply chain starts getting cut again, because reducing inventory and sole sourcing is an easy place to find money.

Then something breaks, and building in redundancy and safety stock is a priority again. Pendulum swing back and forth.

This was a pretty big thing that broke though, across all industries!

But for certain goods (semiconductors, batteries) we’ve decided to not do that and to move some production back to on shore or regional (Canada / Mexico), and that’s a large part of what the IRA and CHIPs is intentionally doing.

The other part is that a gasoline to electric transition means accelerating the trend of the US as a net exporter of oil.

And this stuff means jobs and also more inflation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Right and if we transition to electric we drop our demand on top of that. 9 states have banned the sale of new gasoline powered cars by 2035.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

maybe you can find something interesting to do with them.

They make money with stock and flow models. These are real models of systems that use differential equations and control theory not linear programming matrix operations. You know like what Tim Cook at Apple does (that he picked up at IBM.)

hypnophant posted:

europe is not an energy exporter, and has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy of their own, but they've suffered even worse inflation than we have here; does that fit your theory?

Yes is not an energy exporter
Yes Europe has so far failed to come up with a competing industrial policy.

Yes that means then their inflation is going to be worse. All this supply chain stuff affects them more than the US too. Their international trade is affected more by this change and new post pandemic conditions. The US benefits in a relative way (but not an absolute way ) from a world that is more regional and less global. That’s part of the reason why we are doing better than everybody else.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Am I misreading you here?

Yes. You’re missing the part that matters because of the way you think about the question.

A general trend to carry move inventory in warehouses and to source regionally and onshore rather than source from giant single factories will make everything cost cost more to make.

A failure to have a coherent industrial policy that accounts for this trend change for critical goods will be more inflationary.

Energy self sufficiency is less efficient, because it generally costs more to get it out of the ground here rather than overseas and is thus inflationary.

Not being energy self sufficient is inflationary because there are wars occurring and certain sources are sanctioned (Russia) and other sources have their logistics threatened (any tracker transits through the Red Sea)

All of these things are inflationary, because it all makes making goods harder and less efficient. But these changes also move production around and relative to other countries than movement benefits the United States.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

What you are saying here contradicts basic economics. If the US is overpaying to produce its own oil and manufactured goods, that will lower, not raise, prices of the output of the lowest-cost producers for countries that are not doing that. This is 101-level supply and demand; if supply goes up, cost goes down for any given level of demand.

All supply chains are carrying more inventory and diversifying to more regional and in country suppliers. That’s happening in Europe too, they just don’t have a coherent economic policy addressing it.

A large part of international trade is within the manufacturing process, not in finished goods. What happens to supply chains when containerships divert around the horn from the Red Sea with shoes that just had the soles glued on in China, but still need to be finished in Europe?

Econ 101 supply and demand? Nonsense!

Most international trade is within the supply chain. A term for this is “work-in-progress” goods. It’s hard to get percentages on it but in 2013 it was 80% of international trade by valuation.

https://unctad.org/press-material/80-trade-takes-place-value-chains-linked-transnational-corporations-unctad-report

My conclusions don’t make sense to you because there are many things you just don’t know.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think you say a ton of words but don't explicitly tie it to inflation or employment, except for when you just declare that a thing is or isn't inflationary without an actual explanation for how.

I think you are a domain expert but are really struggling to present a coherent, clear argument for why we see inflation falling off without an loss of jobs.

Goods just costing more to make is inflation!

Monetary policy caused inflation isn’t the only type of inflation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think you are a domain expert but are really struggling to present a coherent, clear argument for why we see inflation falling off without an loss of jobs.

Right my argument isn’t a complete explanation. It’s like 15% - 20% of an explanation. I do get a bit carried away, I like getting surly about supply chains.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

If goods cost more to make, why are corporate profits up, and why is inflation falling?

When inflation started companies used it as an opportunity to raise prices above what their in cost increases were. The supply chain stuff is mostly calming down.

Think about it this way: Business has an overseas partner they’ve been using for years. Crisis hits their ability to use that vendor gets harder and slower. They begin partially sourcing at other suppliers, or a brand new suppliers. It takes a couple years to work the kinks out of new logistics. The new CFS forgets desiccants and loads on a hot wet day. hosed container. Customs in the country of the new supplier works differently, hosed shipment. New international supply chains have a more expensive period at the beginning.

So cost start at a lower stable level. They shoot way the hell up. Then they stabilize at a new level (above the original) a couple years of later once all the problems in the new logistics chains are worked out. We are starting to enter that later period and leaving the mistakes are made period. That and rates per teu have mostly normalized.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Costs can't go up across the board if wages don't go up, because consumers can't afford to buy all the things they did before if prices have gone up and incomes haven't.

They can spend down their savings and borrow money to do it. Have you looked at graphs for those things recently? Cause you should. And they are buying less things because they are paying more for them. Have you not experienced that over the last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

this would imply a negative savings rate which has not happened. buying less things would imply a fall in gdp growth which has also not happened. this is what i meant when i said you couldn't possibly believe you were seeing all of global trade from a single viewpoint.

I said a very large portion of it. Not all of it.

And you should think about what what a global to regional transition of supply chains means for GDP. When you have a value chain or works in progress each of those steps are additions to GDP in the countries where they occur. If you move steps in the supply chain onshore the GDP generated by those steps moves home. Supply chains can become less efficient and gdp can increase at the same time.