Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is a very good point. I'm wondering if we should do an announcement or something for those types of posts, to try to draw in a larger audience

I'll bring this up with the admins and see what their thoughts are

You will never get more posters in SAD because SAD is speedrunning QCS and is a shithole. Im rapidly regretting posting in it because you just get brigaded constantly by the insanely loud and obnoxious posters there if you disagree with them. I found out from a friend in discord I play deep rock with that some of my posts from there got crossposted to cspam so they could mock them in private, by an IK no less. So that was good.

It's also full of people who dont read any of the forums or threads they profess to need to fix, resulting in wild claims like the GBS schandenfreude and ohsa threads here being filled with people getting violently killed by industrial shredders and people getting arms torn off on every page which is blatently untrue, or GIP apparantly filled with deathlust warmongers who want to watch russian troops getting vapourized by artillery shells. When GIP posters turned up to tell them theyre wrong they got told to gently caress off.

Honestly I think a forums parliament would work better. Every three months each subforum and forum elect a representative(s? 2,3?) per forum who posts in the parliament forum about forums issues and brings them up, rather than allowing an extremely vocal and online minority of people to just hoot and holler in there till they get their way. It also ensures forums who are generally well run, and hence wouldn't need to bring issues up in SAD, arent getting lost by the wayside or having nonsense told about them unchallenged.

At best, threads like this one for commenting on forum specific issues seem to be best. Since then its by GBS "standards", rather than what some poster somewhere else who doesn't post here thinks.

Anyway. On a GBS note: Seth how is the new rules on death going to be enforced? The thread wasnt clear which was my main complaint with it. Some people wanted it to juet be specifically actual dead bodies or people getting murdered, which is already banned, and some people were arguing any death of any sort, even off screen or not visible or implied should be permaban worthy too, since that obviously starts touching on things like "is tribute.avi a snuff film" or "is a russian tank driving through a minefield a snuff film" or "is a road rage driver driving off a cliff by accident a snuff film", or "is this building collapsing after an earthquake a snuff film", all of which are things that could feasibly be posted here. (Although id expect the fatal car crash to be removed if it later turned out the car driver actually died)

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Barudak posted:

People in GBS aren't gonna go to SAD to post because SAD is not GBS. So slowly but surely people who do invest a lot of time in SAD will get to dictate policy site wide to the dissatisfaction or detriment of other areas.

Pretty much this, particulary how SAD is currently being run/moderated.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Buddy, if this isn't your lord and savior, idk what to tell you

🅾️🅱️ is part of the trinity

The patron saint of GBS, this pigs huge balls. Pbuh.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Indulge nom by bringing in the reverse GBS challenge. He can clone a thread into gbs from another sub, and if it does better here than the original, by the standards of the original subforum regulars, then he gets to buy one custom title. Otherwise he wins a lifetime posting award (11 year probe)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Uh, isn't Putting poo poo threads in the trash and doming poo poo posters with probes and bans literally how moderation works? Like obviously the line on what qualifies as poo poo is subjective but fundamentally thats the case.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Katamari Democracy posted:

GBS is just fine. :)

Correct. It's why I like it the best out of all the sub forums. the right balance of moderation, content and comedy. a posting nirvana, if you would.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I used to read it occasionally because it was exactly where all the terminally banned poo poo posters ended up and the first thing they'd do is write a huge three page essay about how poo poo SA is and how all the posters there they disagree with are *slur of the day* and the mods are deranged lunatics who eat babies and lowtax is a nice person and so on and so forth, which made it extremely funny to me because you basically got to watch their meltdown twice. Fairly sure it imploded, yeah.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

So I foolishly took a shot that SAD was indeed the place to discuss the recent harassment of female IK/mods by posters.

I'd written an email to forumadmins over a week ago (ed: 13 March) about some of the awful poo poo thrown at Kit Constantine and teen witch, including some vile poo poo attacking them as women, insults about genitalia (and not just the c-word).

The abuse directed at Kit ended up with her being de-modded, and the reason I am told he gave had nothing to do with her performance as mod, but was basically "for your own good".

That's insane.

Likewise once the abuse became directed at teen witch, she clearly just quit before it got to the level Kit got at the end.

Two female volunteers literally harassed out of their jobs here by vicious abuse.

Forget about retroactive punishments - how is this prevented from recurring?

I'd originally been waiting for an email response but just gave up after a week. So after Cinci suggested it was an excellent subject to raise in SAD, I hesitated a few days more, then copied the email I sent to forumadmins email as a post.

Turns out there's been a discussion on the mod forum on the subject for some time - so when my thread got shut down (since I am a horrible person who can't possibly actually be offended by sexism), another thread was opened to discuss the issue in SAD by management. Hell, Jeff even showed up.

The SAD regulars' response to sexual harassment was 'harden the gently caress up'.

The second thread lasted about as long as mine.

So having been educated that SAD is incapable of an open discussion of the subject (how to stop female posters from being harassed), someone suggested I should have raised it in the GBS Feedback thread.

I'm frankly not overly hopeful at this point. But the way KC and TW had some majorly vile poo poo thrown at them - yeah, lots of it caught sixers but that didn't stop it, did it?

Again, learn from the past to stop repetition. I'm not asking for anyone to be banned/perma'd. And yeah, any discussion affecting GBS alone won't stop abuse in other forums.

But you can't just *ignore* that poo poo. It just tells the people doing it they're safe to *keep* doing it.

Anyhow, if this attempt flops too I'll just know at least I tried.

I'm not gonna comment on the thread you made, but the teen witch thread was honestly a complete disgrace and everything wrong with SAD. It went from people posting claims she'd edited a post specifically to probe someone, to them editing the post after the fact, to then turning out to have not edited the post at all (so the claims made by posters were actually untrue in the first case), followed by a 5 page derail about how cringe and un-based her modding style was (from people who I believe weren't even subject to her modding them) followed by demands she be unmodded not because she hadn't actually done what she'd been accused of, but because people didn't like her moderation style. Honestly incredibly psychotic stuff and in the end she stepped down rather than let it go any more deranged.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Stux posted:

a post she had probated had been edited three days later by a mod/ik into a very weird message to the original poster. bcos somethingawful for no apparent reason anonymises mod edits (so it shows as "somebody" if its anyone but the person whos post it is. it shows their own name if they edited it) it was presumed the person who had pointlessly probated the post did it. ath then said it wasnt tw, at which point everyone blamed the other thread ik, because again a mod or ik edit is completely anonymous to everyone but admins so the only option is to try and guess who did it lol. i asked if this could be changed and if edits could always show who edited the post, because it appears to be entirely setup to cause this kind of misunderstanding, and was told it wouldnt be, for some reason. your ability to read words is astoundingly terrible.

Yeah, which was essentially what I said. Teen witch was blamed at first but eventually people found it wasn't her. Thread should of stopped there, because frankly the claims made in the OP weren't true. Teen Witch hadn't edited the post as everyone had claimed, someone else had, and the thread then descended into people tearing into her post history to prove how cringe she was, rather than any kind of useful debate on, as you say, should edits to posts be visible. It was a garbage fire.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Smugworth posted:

This is the GBS feedback thread not that "what's this avatar" thread please find somewhere else to ask

Mods, do the thing

But Smugworth, aren't... aren't you a mod?!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I would post my catte but he is sulking because he is a tiny pissbaby and he will not deign to eat any food other than his preferred brand which I cannot get more of untill tomorrow.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

oh weird this thread suddenly became hostile and full of drama for one night and had like 180 new posts i wonder how that happened

And of course after all this poo poo stirring they're in SAD arguing how all the GBS mods are abusive tyrants unevenly banning people for grudges and should all be removed. Again - nothing any of the mods did was wrong.

I'd laugh if their evidence of this wasnt trying to claim that jokes about putin drinking horse cum and making GBS threads his pants are being held up as evidence that "kirby is innocent" because clearly bad faith repeated trolling and jokes on something awful dot com are the same thing. Absolutely deranged stuff from the most normal and not at all a mistake subforum.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"The sleeping giant does not wake easily but when he does his wrath is great and terrible".

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Sorry this was Epic Cringe, my apologies

Not based at all, some might say. Debased, perhaps.

Anyway this has been a very funny morning but I should get on with some work at my day job - laying waste to my design enemies, using mindfulness.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh wow who bought me this redtext av of a maimed cat telling me i should kill myself for not liking the cat pics. Space Kablooey, that you? wait nm the sagas thjread told me where it's from. thanks all

Ahaha, oh my god

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It takes courage to post in that shithole. I posted a defence of the kirby probe and there was like three people agreeing followed by jokes about "war bad lmao, probed for one week".

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I didn't buy this one but i assumed i got it for disagreeing with majority opinion in sad, hence the reference to the troubles.