Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

nom epique posted:

Seth I need a stat title change

This is unironically more important and a better use of time than yet another litigation of the oval office issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
E: nm

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 17, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's just another symptom of the broader issue of the bad policy of word filter moderation. i don't use the word personally either irl or on here but probably 95%+ of the probes for it are dumb as hell. also it always manifests as "okay so what slurs am i allowed to use then hurrr". if a poster calls another a oval office as part of a vitriolic screed, they should be probated for unnecessary meanness or whateevr mods say, not 6'd over a filtered word

bagmonkey posted:

but you guys can just remove the ban on the word and then ban anybody who uses it in the lovely American way. That's called policing the community and setting expectations. You just gotta communicate that it's okay to use the c-word but not in a hateful way and if you do use it in a hateful way, you're banned. No probes, no weird punishments, just ban 'em if they are being lovely. That's always been the right way to handle poo poo here

This is the way

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

Ban space kablooey for being no fun lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
GBS can have little a gimmick posting, as a treat

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
DPPH for a new generation

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

Anyway I think rebooting megathreads at least yearly should help out bringing in new people to them at least.

The more active ones usually are, aren’t they? Maybe not quite yearly but once they start to get unwieldy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

Just checked a few and it looks like they are, yeah. I think the only kinda stale one is r/relationships, then.

I’ll agree that one moves so fast it could probably benefit from more frequent reboots.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

steinrokkan posted:

I never got rebooting threads. Are people really afraid of clicking a thread that is to big?

I know there are some technical issues on the backend where things can get wonky once a thread reaches x pages. I think it’s more that it’s hard for new folks to get into the culture of a mega thread because there’s thousands of pages of back history. I say :justpost: but I can understand less adventurous or newer posters getting intimidated by larger threads.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Aaaaaannd here we go

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you hate it so much why are you here?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dlrry posted:

This is why I avoid the megathreads. Feels like I need to read ancient scrolls from thousands of years ago just to see what the hell everyones talking about

I used to feel that way too but it really isn’t necessary, at least not in GBS imo. Just lurk a little and read the OP and like the last 5 or 10 pages. If someone jumps on you for asking something that was answered 1000 pages ago, that’s their problem not yours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Compromise? Context? But then what will the brigades do with all their newfound spare time?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
There’s only one time the r-word should be used and that is when describing former US president Donald J Trump, but also I just stopped using it because it sucks outside of that context and it certainly isn’t worth fighting over.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the response has plainly been "too much work to read posts. gonna word filter instead. and hands absloutely = tied"

Yeah but when someone disagrees with a mod decision it creates four threads in QCS/SAD calling for blood so I kind of understand just banning the word because the some posters can’t handle criticism.

E: removed unnecessary name calling

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 17, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is this the useful feedback you were after? a coy little synonym for "retard" doesn't trigger any alarm bells but it's still got the same sentiment behind it

You’re right, and I’m going to edit my post in a minute because I let my utter and absolute hatred of QCS/SAD color my words. That’s on me and this isn’t the place for it. And no, I’m not still mad about MPP/Derpies/deviantart whatever. I agree that those subjects were controversial, BUT other than grumbling I accepted the administrative decisions about them. I didn’t go crying to QCS because things didn’t go my way. All QCS and SAD do is allow the same twenty squeaky wheels to disingenuously call for blood and dictate policy in forums they only enter to troll.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Terminal autist posted:

Derpies was a sex pest and harassed multiple goons off forums for years lol, lmao

I said I understood the decisions dude

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wear a back brace working out and 2 knee braces when I go hiking. I tore a ligament in my shoulder and back while just driving. Getting old sucks.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greg. How many accounts does he have, and what dirt does he have on you Seth for the leniency? Do you need us to go rough him up for you? Does it need to take as long as derpies or snake tits or whatever scum are around

It sounds like you just don’t like GBS :shrug:

E: like the point is just to shitpost, I’m not sure what you’re looking for?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

To the person saying I don't like gbs, yeah maybe that's what's it's turned into? It's been my default for things to read, joke about, laugh at, etc for longer than I've been alive. Dunno, the overly modded first half of gbs' life is pretty universally decried as the nadir of gbs, but it also had the most and best posters of that era who have all long gone. Am I an old that doesn't like the change, I dunno. It hasn't been the same since Lowtax killed it and made gbs 3.0 a decade ago. Maybe we should have some fun posting or content creation contests. Ms paint thread!

I get it. I’ve been on the site (front page reader) since the beginning but I didn’t get involved with the forums until much later and don’t have the same nostalgia for the old days so I don’t mind current GBS although it’s definitely seem better days. I “blame” phone posting more than anything else…and I say this as a phone poster. It’s easier to do one liners from a phone rather than actual creative effort posts.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just try Chinatown@ various domains until he replies

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

I think another big problem is that we can't post threads on the unofficial SA app. Not an SA problem, but I'm sure that cuts down on potential threads.

You can on iPhone. I have no idea why it doesn’t work on android as I haven’t looked at the Awful app thread in ages but they still haven’t been able to get it to work.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol you already know the answer to this

Weird that you guys constantly pull 10 year old posts without context then when it suits whoever’s made the list for harassment that day.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bagmonkey posted:

Make Smugworth and Nooner mods of GBS and make Sid an admin

I am also offering my services as a phone poster mod but I will be loving GODDAMN HEAVY ON MY USE OF BUTTONS so I’ll be demodded within 36 hours

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr. Merdle posted:

I wonder if this community's habit of targeting, doxxing, and driving off funny, talented, and interesting posters might have something to do with the fact that the userbase is shrinking and the forums are stagnating.

No, it surely must be people using the word oval office and retard that's driving down registration and engagement.

Yeah but those posters that are targeting and doxxing other users spend the most money so sorry hands are tied :shrug:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The problem with the c word is that no matter what you do no one will ever stop shutting the gently caress up about it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Which is kinda the problem with the whole site right now is that every single mod decision has to be litigated because certain people just cannot tolerate the idea of them or their friends being moderated.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

If elected, my first act as moderator of GBS will be to ensure anyone who ever brings up the meta discussion about the c word again is given a thoroughly embarrassing avatar

You have my vote smugworth

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you post a picture on the internet it means that you jerk off to it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A vote for Smugworth is a vote to Make Posting Fun Again (MPFA)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If SW becomes mod, his new nickname with be smuggies and anyone who defends him will be known as smuggies huggies

I was thinking Smugbudz™️

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I hear Jeff is looking for admins. Seems like a great opportunity to fast track Smugworth into a leadership role.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I personally don’t use the word and I understand that it’s used differently elsewhere in the world, but if it’s causing this much stress where every time feedback is requested that’s all anyone can talk about then just loving ban it in GBS because clearly everyone’s opinion on what constitutes proper use and intent is going to differ. If you’re that butthurt about not being able to use a single word then I don’t know what to tell you about how to navigate life in general. If it is that important to you to be able to say it just go to FYAD or IZ and go hog wild.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 20, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't see any reason to use it, at all, and I'm Australian. What I don't like is the addendum of "but you can go to another subforum to use it". That shouldn't be a thing!

FYAD and IZ would melt down the likes of which this world has never known.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I kinda don’t see how we discuss any major issues within GBS without talking about the forums at large, especially considering that most of the recent drama bombs were caused by non-GBS posters making a stink about GBS because they travel around looking for things to complain about.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Make me IK if the suburban dad thread so I can change the title

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Thanks Seth. I, for one genuinely appreciate the effort post and explanations. I’m still leery of SAD because it seems like it pretty rapidly became just like QCS where it is actively hostile to anyone who isn’t one of the “regulars” and dares to question their opinions, regardless of how that question is put forth. I am hoping that with time and the new admins SAD settles down into something that works for more of the site than the overly squeaky wheels. In any case, I think this thread is a good start and a much needed troll-free space to vent.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You heard it here folks, he’s in!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Devils Affricate posted:

I would just like to reiterate my suggestion that anyone who has 25%+ of their total posts in SAD/QCS should be autobanned. Someone else argued it should be only 10% and that's probably a better idea, but I'm trying to be magnanimous. Meta forums for discussing rules/policing shouldn't have "regulars". That's exactly the kind of person we'd all be better off without.

Having a regular base of users in what is supposed to be a catch all for the forums at large is a really bad idea. It basically allows and encourages minority rule especially when the culture there is toxic enough that most users don’t even bother with going in there. It could be cleaned up with heavy and unbiased moderation but ehhh, that ain’t what’s happening in there.

To keep with the thread rules and bring it around to how it relates to GBS, there’s a thread in there right now about the new admins for feedback on them. If 75% of active users (disclaimer: I do not know what the actual stat is) the site don’t even go into SAD, then you’re allowing the regulars to effectively select admins that favor them. That applies to current mods and IKs as well because it’s always a one sided argument in there. There really needs to be strong moderation to deliver actual punishment when dissenting opinions are replied to with harassment and doxxing attempts so that SAD eventually feels like a safe enough place for actual discussion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also you'd get probed/banned for empty quoting which is dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah we don’t need to probe punctuation anymore but the trolls need some harder slaps. Unfortunately $10 isn’t really a deterrent to 40 year old men with disposable income.