Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smugworth posted:

If elected, my first act as moderator of GBS will be to ensure anyone who ever brings up the meta discussion about the c word again is given a thoroughly embarrassing avatar

Is it going to be an av that's tailored to embarrass the user, or a standard-issue embarrassing av?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

a whole bunch of iks is a good low risk way to take the pressure off mods who say reading a lot of posts is a lot of work (a somewhat justifiable excuse, gbs is very active compared to other non politics subs) and can make context reading and warning more viable instead of button press word filter style moderation

IK roulette. But in the background, so you log in one day and pow, you got buttons and a lot of PMs saying "Wow, sucks to be you"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

mods should be forced to say one nice thing about any poster they probe

All probations must be in the form of a compliment sandwich

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anyway. On a GBS note: Seth how is the new rules on death going to be enforced? The thread wasnt clear which was my main complaint with it. Some people wanted it to juet be specifically actual dead bodies or people getting murdered, which is already banned, and some people were arguing any death of any sort, even off screen or not visible or implied should be permaban worthy too, since that obviously starts touching on things like "is tribute.avi a snuff film" or "is a russian tank driving through a minefield a snuff film" or "is a road rage driver driving off a cliff by accident a snuff film", or "is this building collapsing after an earthquake a snuff film", all of which are things that could feasibly be posted here. (Although id expect the fatal car crash to be removed if it later turned out the car driver actually died)

The rules Docbeard proposed and newly-adminned Fritz looked to be approving of seem simple enough:

docbeard posted:

I hereby propose that:

1) Graphic footage of people dying or dead, in any forum, for any reason, gets a ban+time off, or a permaban if it's a repeat offense or the admin is feeling spicy and the stars so align.

2) Things that are NOT THAT but which are kind of adjacent to that are treated on a case-by-case basis but with the understanding that your 9/11 joke is probably old hat by now and you should really get some new material

3) All Ukraine War threads in every subforum to feature an unstoppable max-volume autoplaying MIDI of Yusuf Islam's née Cat Stevens' hit "Peace Train"

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm down but add "being tortured" to 1) and emphasize that cheering about this sort of material is especially bad

Don't post poo poo that has people visibly dying/dead/being tortured. If it's something where it can be reasonably implied someone died (tank hitting a mine, tornado hitting a trailer park, several tons of fertilizer exploding in a burning warehouse), then don't be loving gross and/or weird about it.

Someone mentioned asking yourself "Would you show this to a random stranger" before you post a video, but we're goons, we don't talk to strangers. So maybe the better metric to use is "Would you pay $10 to post this video?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

gathering my posting allies and confronting my positjg enemies in a heroic combat of the thirty style showdown, except on an internet forum where my only prize is shame

The portals scene of Endgame but after the two lines charge each other instead of a CGI brawlfest they just piss themselves and scream "MMMMODS!!!!!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

that poo poo loving sucked

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

mods should start a patreon and favor the posters who donate at the highest tier

What tier do I get to give them reasons to put in their probes of users?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

XeeD posted:

It would be even better if you voted for me over smugwarts for GBS mod or whatever. I dare you.

If I wanted to vote for an unfunny sadsack, I'd vote for myself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sorry I’ve been away for a few hours but I probably wasn’t clear. It’s all SAD. The reason all of the feedback threads end up talking about SAD is that SAD is the problem. GBS polices itself pretty well I think but for whatever reason people from other sub forums are enraged at GBS’s existence.

Not everything are the machinations of a dread cabal of your posting enemies, Jesus fuckin' Christ.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Have you looked at SAD my dude?

Yes. It's not a dread cabal of your posting enemies. Calm the gently caress down.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Well known bastion of intelligence: The website on the internet with the motto "The Internet Makes You Stupid"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

my older brothers name is josh :) I walked his dog tonight (I do every week day)(he is the boxer)

Those look like two very good dogs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know megathreads can feel kind of impenetrable, but I think most are pretty good at explaining in-jokes or references to earlier stuff if people ask. Maybe codifying that as a rule could help? Something like "If someone is new to a thread and asks questions try to help them get up to speed," maybe?

Occasional reboots might help too. Maybe like a yearly refresher or something, I dunno, it probably depends more on how fast the thread moves than any kind of actual page count metric or something. Like how TFF will have threads that cover a week during the season because lots of stuff happens and then there's a thread for the whole offseason.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, this is something we try to do but can definitely lag on or forget about. Having it vary as needed by thread topic makes sense.

One of my favorite threads is the Critterquest thread, and instead of rebooting it we've been renaming it, which I think works well for that thread.

It's a good way to explain inside jokes too because reboots I've seen in places like Traditional Games have had a lot of collaboration for the new OP.

Like, the Sardines thread has been plugging along since 2015, if it got rebooted it could lead off with brand recommendations or recipes from the previous thread.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It feels like "Am I willing to bet $10 that this joke/video is good?" is a good metric to apply to avoid punishment on the second point. And probably one I should have followed more often myself.

I assume if Zelenskyy stomps on Putin with his new Ukrainian Gundam or Elon livestreams himself getting Nedelin'd or Trump shits himself to death on live television, you might be able to slide by posting the video for a brief moment since it'll be newsworthy and funny enough.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Feedback: Maybe mods should consider punishing attempts to turn threads into Wimp-Lo's Dojo for Posting & Grudges a bit more harshly that just "Hey, guys, cut it out" because... Yeah, that never works.

And punishing not just the ones perceived as trolls, but the ones going for the bait too.

Thank you for your consideration.

EDIT: Uuhh... I should probably point out that this was legitimate feedback. It happens in a lot of threads and sucks hard every time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

does anyone want a kiss

No thanks.

It always starts with just one kiss. Then you're like "Ya know, two won't hurt." Then next you know know the bag's empty, you're surrounded by foil and those weird paper tags and your tummy is REALLY starting to hurt.

And that's assuming you can at least tolerate Hershey's chocolate.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My feedback for GBS is that that looks like a darn good cat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I sometimes get angry at people on the internet but my cat loves me

That is a good cat too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I lived with a cat for a while, but it was my girlfriend's.

After we broke up, I agreed to catsit a few times - The break-up was amicable and I liked the cat. One time I went to check on him and he'd opened the cabinet in her bathroom, pulled out EVERY roll of toilet paper that was in there and methodically shredded each one, leaving the whole of the bathroom floor covered in like half an inch of shredded toilet paper.

He let me rub his belly and I texted my ex to let her know everything was fine and there were no messes.

That cat was a bro.

EDIT: He also pissed on a bunch of her poo poo immediately after I moved out, including a chair that she really loved. Bro.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 24, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Here's the little bastard that had my back way back in 2009-2010

He was a fan of watching My Name Is Earl and The Walking Dead (but only the zombie scenes, he'd leave if there weren't zombies on the screen)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Honestly sort of weird and sus and possibly even cringe that the mods are letting people post cat pictures, and yet there are no dog pictures.

She smiles when she sleeps. That's how much she likes sleeping.

I lost my buddy in October because cancer is poo poo, but dogs are very good and I like most all dogs

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

anyone here ever made a point and click adventure game before?

We all do, in that this site is an adventure every day and we all point and click and contribute to it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tai posted:

Feedback - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

LMAO

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My feedback on this morning's events: I wanna pet those kitties.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

he's running unopposed!

I will run against him. Simply on the grounds that I hate seeing people running unopposed on ballots and refuse to vote for them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mr Teatime posted:

They are very good boys

In light of recent findings, I must amend my previous feedback: I wanna pet those kitties and kiss the tops of their heads if they would not claw me for trying.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I will also run against him for the exact same reason.

Time for a three-way horse race narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

Maybe my cat should be the new mod?

Let's do this, I wanna see what a cat's mod meltdown looks like.