Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

really queer Christmas posted:

Send a PM to speng to discuss the website stuff as that's his wheelhouse. If you want to help with our request information and streamlining that, I feel like we will need to create some kind of NDA if you are not going to become a committee member since you will see private information from users.

Sure, I'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Do the committee members have some sort of NDA already?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Do the committee members have some sort of NDA already?

We kinda discussed that in our meeting last month. The only one who would need it right now would be Tiler since us other 3 are directors. So we might have to throw one together when docbeard joins and hopefully gives us a 5th person.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Seems like it'd make sense for even directors to sign one that automatically applies upon their leaving the director position, instead of getting someone to retroactively sign.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thats enough time for nominations so im going to go ahead and close it. The current nominees are:

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS
TILER KIWI
DOCBEARD

As there are only 5 nominees for the working committee and 3 nominees for the nonworking committee, I move that these 3 and 5 nominees proceed without a vote. Per our constitution, we must allow 24 hours for discussion and to allow for any further nominees. If after 24 hours there is no dissent, then I will call this election period over and we can be done with the bureaucracy.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I don't know if you need it but I'll second the motion.

(I just started learning about parliamentary procedure recently when I was elected vice-chair of a volunteer city board [because I was the only one eligible for the position, not because I wanted it] so :shrug:)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Alright, a full 24 hours later and im calling the election. Here are your 5 working members of the committee:

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS
TILER KIWI
DOCBEARD

We are pretty much running things back, thank you all for the participation!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
keep up the great work, team!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

And to follow that nice comment with something that makes me feel like a failure - we are completely tapped out. We got in about $700 of requests since Friday morning and already had about $600 in pending requests coming in to the weekend. Combine those numbers and you get about $1300 sent out or promised and then you put this in there -

And you get about $200 leftover - $110 of it is reserved for a request I already promised to fulfill in full. If you want to know why the bank account still shows a lot of money, it's because venmo and paypal take a day to register in our bank account, while cashapp is instant since cashapp is connected to our debit card. So the bank hasn't seen all the transactions that have taken place since Friday, when we got hammered with requests.

I'm not expecting anyone to drop loads of money on the fund right after the holiday weekend, so I want to alert people that are coming to us that immediate needs cannot be fulfilled. We simply have no funds left in any account besides $16 in venmo, $11 in cashapp, and $9 in paypal. If you submit a need to us, it will be fulfilled by order received (based on how much you've received in the past 30 days) and then by immediacy of need - prioritizing people needing food and medicine. I apologize to anyone to whom this will put in a tight spot, and hope to let people know now before the rush of requests from the first of the month hits.

I don't know how long it will take to get funds back in, as this next two weeks is when our recurring donations are at the lowest - the 8th through the 20th has our biggest donations and where we get the vast majority of our recurring funds. I will, of course, update people as soon as things are no longer dire.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

OCTOBER 2023 FINANCIALS

Sorry for the delay on this, I had the financials 90% completed by the time elections started, but had internet trouble with stripe and paypal so I couldn't confirm the balances/fees for October and put it off to finish another day. And then work got busy and... yeah, here I am finishing it 5 days before November ends. Please feel free to ask any questions or request any more data as necessary (that does not conflict with revealing any personal identifying information with requestors or donors).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bad news aside, you love to see that recurring number go up each month

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah rqC! Number go up!

Thank all of you for caring/working.

The graphs are awesome!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Uhh, just checked the payments and want to thank the two separate people who dropped $1,000 on Sunday. I was genuinely not expecting anyone to be able to help to that degree so soon.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Uhh, just checked the payments and want to thank the two separate people who dropped $1,000 on Sunday. I was genuinely not expecting anyone to be able to help to that degree so soon.

Heck yeah people are rad

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Unnamed goons, thank you for being so incredible. :unsmith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it is time for you to run a year-end campaign. you're a nonprofit now. you have to spam your donors to give before year-end.

in fact today was "giving tuesday" which many nonprofits use as the beginning of their eoy campaigns.

break out your mailchimp account. its time to spam.

i am sending 2 emails a week with a/b tests on each

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
many nonprofit professionals feel wary about asking their donors for money. dont. they give you money because they like you and what you do. the key to a successful fundraising apparatus is 1) creating donor touchpoints 2) having some rich donors to create strong bases and a capstone foundation to polish off large projects and most importantly, 3) absolutely shamelessly hammering those mfs for cash. i dont think #2 applies 2 u kuz you're not doing any capital projects. unless? goonfund hq??

good luck and god bless

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Smythe posted:

it is time for you to run a year-end campaign. you're a nonprofit now. you have to spam your donors to give before year-end.

in fact today was "giving tuesday" which many nonprofits use as the beginning of their eoy campaigns.

break out your mailchimp account. its time to spam.

i am sending 2 emails a week with a/b tests on each

Smythe posted:

many nonprofit professionals feel wary about asking their donors for money. dont. they give you money because they like you and what you do. the key to a successful fundraising apparatus is 1) creating donor touchpoints 2) having some rich donors to create strong bases and a capstone foundation to polish off large projects and most importantly, 3) absolutely shamelessly hammering those mfs for cash. i dont think #2 applies 2 u kuz you're not doing any capital projects. unless? goonfund hq??

good luck and god bless

I am very bad at this and feel like crap everytime I have to ask for more funds - even though, logically, I understand that's just the reality of charity work. I am just not good at proselytizing and I always think back to any charity emails I get how I always just go "yeah yeah we are all suffering" at the 100 lines that just come out to give us money.

We also don't really have an email list, though we could scrub the stripe email listing and use that. If anyone on the committee would like to volunteer for that and we can work on sending out an email blast, maybe? Either that or do some kind of fundraising. We have reached out to a couple artists to finish the work done on the april fundraiser artwork.

Also, I really want to thank the two goons with big pockets. We've received 16 requests since black friday and we now have funds to take care of them all.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if this isn’t a fundraising opportunity, I don’t know what is

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I am very bad at this and feel like crap everytime I have to ask for more funds - even though, logically, I understand that's just the reality of charity work. I am just not good at proselytizing and I always think back to any charity emails I get how I always just go "yeah yeah we are all suffering" at the 100 lines that just come out to give us money.

We also don't really have an email list, though we could scrub the stripe email listing and use that. If anyone on the committee would like to volunteer for that and we can work on sending out an email blast, maybe? Either that or do some kind of fundraising. We have reached out to a couple artists to finish the work done on the april fundraiser artwork.

Also, I really want to thank the two goons with big pockets. We've received 16 requests since black friday and we now have funds to take care of them all.

I haven't forgotten you! Been a busy week, I'll take a look at art stuff tomorrow.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if this isn’t a fundraising opportunity, I don’t know what is

Wait, fundraising? Did goons kill Kissinger?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't prove goons didn't....

Glad I was able to chip in a bit more this month instead of asking for more help. Because of this fund I've been able to avoid late fees and overdraft fees, and that's let me very slowly get out from behind. Maybe one day I'll actually get ahead!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Smarxist's account was evidently the final phylactery

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Give to the goon fund, not only does it help those in need but they also killed Henry Kissinger

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

NOVEMBER 2023 FINANCIALS

Not too much in the announcements for this month, we are sitting okish on funds right now, but the 10th is our biggest revenue day of the month so things should be fine in a couple days. We did just recently give the Seattle thread the emote they won during the fundraiser, and Tiler is working on the artwork for the covid thread. He's done a good job on it so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I am also working on getting some marketing stuff out so our e-begging can enter the modern era instead of just posting on a web 1.0 forum. We are closing in on the end of the year, which will mean getting federal documents and I believe official end of year receipts for donors. Either way, boring but official stuff. As always, feel free to ask any questions about the financials or ask for more details.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I had to drop my recurring donation due to personal circumstances, but I'm glad to have helped out and will restart when I can.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my goofy question is how will donors receive their federal documents? I don't mind too much where, I just want to be able to look for it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If you mean the receipts for donations, my plan was to collate the end of year stuff and email everyone a more official "hey the goonfund (a 501c3[still weird to say this]) acknowledges you as giving X dollars." For people we don't have emails on (venmo and cashapp donors) I was going to put put announcements to get in touch with me.

For the official irs filing, that may be on the irs website itself or on another one. When it's public, I'll probably post here to let people know.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Tyvm done

Crazypoops has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Dec 20, 2023

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Goddamn, I worked for a medium-sized nonprofit about 10-15 years ago and I've got to say your financials and operations are far more efficient and transparent than theirs ever were. This is awesome, keep up the great work!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

hey, idk if there is a better place to post this and apologize if it's inappropriate but i've already used the goon fund for food aid this month and i've had about $400 of belongings stolen this morning.

i'm currently unhoused and someone took my suitcase and sleeping bag. all my clothes and shoes along with my hygiene supplies and personal belongings are gone. all i have left are the clothes i'm wearing and my backpack

if anyone can help me out i have venmo and cash app, please dm me. sorry if this is inappropriate i'm just angry and desperate rn

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DECEMBER & 2023 FINANCIALS

2023 is officially over! As such, I would like to present the final version of the December financials. This also functions as our end of year financials; and as such I will review the whole of 2023 with all of you!

We also held our quarterly meeting yesterday, so I will present the minutes for that, as well as try to sum up for people who get bored by bureaucracy (probably everyone). Without further ado, here's the good stuff!

So a lot of numbers, what do they mean? Well, we ended the year with about $2,900 on hand in some form or fashion. About $2,400 of that was in pure cash, and another $500 was in our paypal account. We also had another $650 that had been paid to us, but was still being held by Stripe as of 12/31/23. We ended the year off with a big surplus on hand, and my God did we need it for January. I'll get into that in a bit, I'll bold it if you just want to jump down to that portion and ignore the rest of the financial drivel.

I hope you don't though, because you'll miss this - The Goonfund raised $65,000 from March 17th - December 31st 2023. An absolutely insane amount. What's even crazier, is just under $59,000 of that money was disbursed to goons in need - about 90% of the total funds collected. What happened to the rest of the money we took in? We lost about $2K or 3% to bank fees - cost of getting funds from people to the fund, and about 1% to the government - registering as a charity and a business through the government. The other 5.5% is what we had on hand at the end of the year. So you can be assured that if you give $100 to the Goon Fund - $95.8 goes to goons themselves, putting our overhead at about $3.2 per $100 given. For reference, the average overhead for nonprofit organizations are about $20 per $100 given. That means an extra $16.80 gets to go towards people in need instead of getting lost along the way.

Getting back to the numbers, December was down in requests in comparison to November but the dollar amount requested was roughly the same. So less requestors, but more needed. Which makes sense with the holidays.

Finally, we ended the year off with a total of $3500 from people in recurring monthly donations! That means we have a very steady source of donations in that helps us meet our monthly needs. Thank you once again to our donors, without which we literally couldn't do anything.

For some extra 2023 information - we gave an average of $102 to 195 unique users during 2023. We had a total of 577 requests with venmo being the most paid out option and paypal being the least paid out.

Overall, we somehow got a goon project off the ground grossing $65K and helped 195 people along the way. I'd go ahead and wager few would have thought that would have happened when we first set up that interim form back on November 26, 2022.

JANUARY ANNOUNCEMENTS

Alright good news off the ground, time for some bad news. January has absolutely killed us. We averaged about 1.75 requests per day in December and 2.05 requests per day in November (though remember, December had a higher average request amount). Well, we are up to 2.5 requests a day in January and those requests have been averaging about $92.36 per request (though several of these have had requests well beyond our limit of $125). We have given out $5,357 so far this month and still have 6 pending requests for funds that total $525 right now. Don't believe me? Here's what the request log looks like since Saturday:

Yes, we had 6 today alone. I hate to present all this good news and beg for more money, but the month after Christmas is rough for people. Even moreso when some bread, milk, and eggs will run you an hour or two wages. So if you are in a position to help, we could use a little extra to help out and make sure we don't run out as we approach the end of the month (the time when we get the most requests).

What about if you are already giving recurring donations but can't do more? If you still want to help out, check to make sure how you are giving funds, if you can afford to check to see if you are giving through a credit/debit card and change that to be a bank account. This massively reduces fees from 3.5% down to a 0.8%. For instance, we have two people giving $500 a month to us, one via CC and another via bank account. The credit card is only giving us $485 whereas the bank account is giving us $496. This may not seem like much but over a monthly and yearly period could massively reduce our overhead - which means more money in people who need it's pockets.

Finally, in regards to the quarterly meeting, Here is the full minutes. For a brief summary-

• We are still working on getting a website up and running (lol).
  • I am working on EOY receipts for donors. I will have it done by month end. Thank you for your patience.
  • We will need to refile our registration in washington state soon as it will expire.
  • Nonprofit tax form is due May 15th, 2024
  • We have a mailchimp account, we hope to use it soon.
  • Someone is working on a logo for it. It looks awesome but is still in sketch phase.
  • New category for google form (more below)

As for the new category thing, we discussed whether adding a category at the end that asks people what the funds they are requesting will go towards. For instance food, medicine, utilities, rent, etc. This isn't for gatekeeping purposes, but for audit and information purposes. The major concern that was brought up was someone seeing that and feeling guilty that their request isn't as important as someone else's because "well at least im not starving" etc. We don't want people to feel that way, but the information would be good to gather for these monthly wrap-ups and to answer any potential audit questions.

Now then, here's hoping 2024 is just as successful!

Go Lions.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

How are you planning on sending EOY receipts for Venmo donors?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

How are you planning on sending EOY receipts for Venmo donors?

My hope was to cross reference people who gave through stripe and venmo and pray everyone did that. If not, I may have to just put a big call out for people who gave via venmo only so I can get their email address and email them personally.

This question did lead me to look and find out venmo/paypal now have official charity accounts, so I have gone ahead and applied to get ours recognized as such so this may be a 2023 only problem for us.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I love seeing the recurring donation line going up every month :peanut:

The Goonfund raised $65,000 from March 17th - December 31st 2023. An absolutely insane amount. What's even crazier, is just under $59,000 of that money was disbursed to goons in need - about 90% of the total funds collected. What happened to the rest of the money we took in? We lost about $2K or 3% to bank fees - cost of getting funds from people to the fund, and about 1% to the government - registering as a charity and a business through the government. The other 5.5% is what we had on hand at the end of the year. So you can be assured that if you give $100 to the Goon Fund - $95.8 goes to goons themselves, putting our overhead at about $3.2 per $100 given. For reference, the average overhead for nonprofit organizations are about $20 per $100 given. That means an extra $16.80 gets to go towards people in need instead of getting lost along the way.
[...]
Overall, we somehow got a goon project off the ground grossing $65K and helped 195 people along the way. I'd go ahead and wager few would have thought that would have happened when we first set up that interim form back on November 26, 2022.

This is incredible! A wildly successful Goon Project!!

I'll admit I was frustrated with how and why this got started but I'm glad y'all have done so much for so many people (including me).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

vortmax posted:

This is incredible! A wildly successful Goon Project!!

loving amazing stuff

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thank you for everything you've done for so many people, all of you.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
God bless goons, but in particular everyone involved in the goon fund. Hope 2024 is an even better results!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to this dumb little website and its wonderful people.