Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah! posted:

holy poo poo it happened

lol we tricked them good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Blowing people up with items such as grenades or magic scrolls is good, however, it should not require a dedicated class. The point of items in a JRPG is that anyone can use them to perform actions beyond their normal abilities, at the cost of a permanent resource. When you require a specialized party member to do it it's just magic that costs money. Basically, it's a redundant mechanic.

I feel the same way about FF games where monks get special throwing weapons

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think ff5 is the only case of a good alchemist because that one just takes turtle shells and maiden's kisses and nukes things

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skylark posted:

When i saw this i was like Yup sounds about right

It's incredibly powerful, actually, you just have to know this:

It's very simple, you see.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The alchemists in octo 1 and 2 are good because the items are insanely powerful in those games

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

i easily understand, dont see the problem

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

The alchemists in octo 1 and 2 are good because the items are insanely powerful in those games

you also get a million for free just going through everyone's introductory chapters

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i liked it in bravely default because you could give your guys like 20,000 max hp

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alchemists in Darklands were cool because to get anywhere you had to make an insanely old charismatic man with tenure or nobody would share their secrets with you, and chances are he would either get eaten by wolves between errands to buy ingredients or get arrested for blowing up an inn

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why are 2 potions only as good as 1.8 potions? This is bullcrap.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Why is a triple ether twice as good as a plain ether??

gently caress chemists.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

welcome posted:

Action Economy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the Chef in bravely was the coolest version of alchemists to me. But idr if they were actually good. I just liked the outfit+the idea of spending time in a battle to prepare pastries.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

the Chef in bravely was the coolest version of alchemists to me. But idr if they were actually good. I just liked the outfit+the idea of spending time in a battle to prepare pastries.

i wanna say they were key to having basically infinite bp but it's been a bit

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i dont like spreadsheets or math so i play the warrior and sometimes the rogue

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

welcome posted:

Chemist has a passive that doubles item restoration so it's worse than one potion.

This is a signature. :monocle:

uncreativename
Jul 30, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Alchemists in Darklands were cool because to get anywhere you had to make an insanely old charismatic man with tenure or nobody would share their secrets with you, and chances are he would either get eaten by wolves between errands to buy ingredients or get arrested for blowing up an inn

They were important too, because by the time you had followed the dragon back to its lair your armour would be totally destroyed from dragon corruption or whatever, before even starting the fight, if you didn't bring enough potions to use on it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

darklands is cool

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

I have a pathological urge to never use consumable items in jrpgs so this type of class torments me, op

finishing a jrpg with a poo poo ton of unused items is ftw. i also like to think that the heroes will sell all that loot and live the good life after the final boss is dead.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

finger cursor hovering over an Elixir: Noooooo! My retirement plan!!!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

lol

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Alchemists ruled in Grimrock 2 because they could dual wield guns and bombs and also the antivenom recipe was very close to the turn-into-a-loving-bear potion recipe so from time to time I'd accidentally prank myself

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Bolverkur posted:

lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

In Training posted:

that class ruled because when they used a move you saw a montage of them expertly making and decorating an elaborate cake and then they just fling it at a monster. the class itself ostensibly revolved around debuffs but in practice was used for super degenerate bp battery strats

the other item-using class was catomancers, a blue mage class revolving around bribing cats to do monster attacks

bravely second was a good game

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Salve-Makers are great in Bravely Default.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

They give us status effects
So we buy their "potions"
While they silence our white magic

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

much like Coelho's so-called masterpiece, The Alchemist sucks balls.