Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
*blushing*

Oh no, I’ve dropped my red pages…. You can see my blue pages! I’m so embarrassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Lmao what the gently caress

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it's insane all of this stuff managed to go unnoticed before making him an admin, but it's legitimately great that it had at least a partial closure just within a few hours.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Strumpie posted:

i have no idea what anyone is talking about

Bunch of people pretending to be robots in a 25 year old game where the discord owner is Jim Jones

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pentyne posted:

Explain how a single player video game has comparable consent issues with a group dynamic 24/7 role play game.
Pathologic has you choosing between who to save in a trolley problem.
While I haven't played it, because of the repeated warnings I've heard about it, isn't Spec Ops: The Line kinda infamous for getting the player into some deeply uncomfortable situations?

:ninja:EDIT: I get sick to my stomach just trying to think about whether non-consensual sex stuff or murder is worse, so if it's alright, I'm just gonna bow out of this conversation.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

angerbeet posted:

*blushing*

Oh no, I’ve dropped my red pages…. You can see my blue pages! I’m so embarrassed

lmao

e:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Pathologic has you choosing between who to save in a trolley problem.
While I haven't played it, because of the repeated warnings I've heard about it, isn't Spec Ops: The Line kinda infamous for getting the player into some deeply uncomfortable situations?

:ninja:EDIT: I get sick to my stomach just trying to think about whether non-consensual sex stuff or murder is worse, so if it's alright, I'm just gonna bow out of this conversation.
:dafuq:

Jonah Galtberg fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 19, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

One of my cats is named riven and now I won't be able to talk about her without someone going "like that game with the non-consensual autistic sexbot thing?"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm just gonna bow out of this conversation.

Wish you well, it’s not worth putting yourself into that type of distress. In case you check back in and it offers you any relief: It doesn’t need to be a competition, both can be denounced for their uniquely terrible natures. To weigh them against each other is to get into comparing degrees of victimhood and that’s not productive toward helping those affected.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Getting kicked out of the Space Quest RP for repeatedly trying to gently caress Fester Blatz

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
mad GM tormenting dozens of goons to get the perfect riven RP game

like james cameron but with sexbots instead of drowning

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Cool guess my Riven speedrun submission for SGDQ is going to be shot down now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Cool guess my Riven speedrun submission for SGDQ is going to be shot down now

That depends on how sexy it’s going to be.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The specifics of this situation are curious compared to the hobbies of most of us, but I think the jokes are getting kinda gross to be in the venue shared with the legitimate complaints about exploitation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My reaction to this whole situation is basically the Tyler the Creator cyberbullying tweet. Namaste

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Grassy Knowles posted:

The specifics of this situation are curious compared to the hobbies of most of us, but I think the jokes are getting kinda gross to be in the venue shared with the legitimate complaints about exploitation.

this op. like this is not a joke, communities which are "embarrassing" are often very bad for behavior like this because nobody wants to come forward out of embarrassment, so don't contribute to that problem

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 19, 2023

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

alright last call if anyone has any good posts to make here, at 11am cst i am going to be closing this thread and shipping it to the goldmine before it gets fail since people are already comparing the video game pathologic to roleplay sex crimes or whatever the f is going on (Not reading most of the posts here, but i trust my gut feeling its been fail)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

alright last call if anyone has any good posts to make here, at 11am cst i am going to be closing this thread and shipping it to the goldmine before it gets fail since people are already comparing the video game pathologic to roleplay sex crimes or whatever the f is going on (Not reading most of the posts here, but i trust my gut feeling its been fail)

Yeah I was honestly just going to ask why it was still open since the issue seems to have been resolved.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

pog boyfriend posted:

your gut is never wrong pog boyfriend

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

this loving website.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks pog

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I probably only have bad posts left to make

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As far as I know, there are no sexual parts or explicit sexual content in the game Riven. Riven is a puzzle adventure game that focuses on exploration, puzzle-solving, and storytelling, and its themes are centered around science fiction, fantasy, and mystery.

While there may be some suggestive or mature themes in the game's narrative, there is no overtly sexual content in Riven. The game is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB, which means it is considered appropriate for players of all ages.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

pog boyfriend posted:

gut call good call

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

I probably only have bad posts left to make

Welcome to the club pal

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Buddy,

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

so wait, should we all try a roleplay or something? haha

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Can I ask a genuine question

Why is it that modmins have this protective barrier that stops them from bring banned?

Like stuff that regular users would be booted for just seemingly gets their privs removed. It's like being knocked down the hierarchy where you can only be banned at the bottom rung

He didn't tell one of the players to choke on a fishbone, so it's only right he get to stick around as normal.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know that as the person defending him I don’t have a lot of credibility here, but despite the phrasing of the title and the original post, this is not a matter of him being a sex pest, or even a creep, and much more along the lines of poor judgment calls in community management, which he has specifically owned up to, apologized for, and learned from in the multiple years (5 and 2 respectively), since they happened.

this is legitimately the first I've heard from pod since everything happened. this is the first a lot of these players have heard from him since anything happened. during this whole thread pera had been pming and dming people to tell them that I'm an evil gaslighter misleading them.

me talking to friends was " harvesting private communications".

im happy with the outcome. but I do take issue with the " everybody has apologized and owned up to everything".

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

everythingWasBees posted:

this is legitimately the first I've heard from pod since everything happened. this is the first a lot of these players have heard from him since anything happened. during this whole thread pera had been pming and dming people to tell them that I'm an evil gaslighter misleading them.

me talking to friends was " harvesting private communications".

im happy with the outcome. but I do take issue with the " everybody has apologized and owned up to everything".

If anyone had apologized to me at any point in the past year and a half, I’d have very different feelings about the goings on, I think. Instead, the last communication I had with the group was them essentially putting me on trial for the evil of talking about the game with other people.

And yeah, peramene had PMed me as well, saying that I have it all wrong and I’m being gas lit and of course being very incensed that she was being denied her claim to the running of Riven.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’d point out that even the people that brought this all up in the first place have been saying “this doesn’t warrant a ban, but I don’t think he should be an admin.”

I know that as the person defending him I don’t have a lot of credibility here, but despite the phrasing of the title and the original post, this is not a matter of him being a sex pest, or even a creep, and much more along the lines of poor judgment calls in community management, which he has specifically owned up to, apologized for, and learned from in the multiple years (5 and 2 respectively), since they happened.

There has been a lot of people posting “Riven Sex RP” repeatedly, but literally none of those people were a part of this—it’s pure goon telephone. It was a single scene in a long game of that had like two mods trying to manage something like 50 people, and was in no way some planned thing at the start of the game, which otherwise didn’t have any remotely sexual content—mostly just people dying to ecological disaster.

The community, as a whole, was less than great about what made for a safe and sane experience. As Jen touched on, there was this general feeling that this was all something New and Daring. Which, yeah, is kind of being full of ourselves. But it wasn’t some top-down thing, it came from pretty much everybody—including some of the posters in here, one of whom wrote an article on these games as a new thing. And that lead to a lot of mistakes. Riven was way too many people, resulting in extremely overworked mods trying to do way too much. But people had fun. Future games were smaller. The follow-up ran way too long, became too much a Part of Life, but it was one of the most fun games a bunch of us had played despite that—future games were shorter. The one after that—another adapted LARP, a later effort by the people who made IMG—was only about two weeks long, but people were on and active for too much of it, without enough time to step away and just be themselves—and it was met with as I remember universal acclaim. Future games were spaced out more to force that kind of disconnect. Every failure came with a lot of successes attached, and that lead to a widespread feeling that yes, we would stumble in the future, but that we could just learn from mistakes, because things would otherwise work out. And I want to emphasize that Podima was not kind of sole originator of this attitude.

Then the signature problem of IMG was… basically that whole communal attitude in and of itself. That self-important feeling of this being some nascent thing that was worth pushing boundaries for. And that wasn’t something that the game could just trundle on through and resolve after the fact. It was bad, it was messy, and a lot of mistakes were made. A lot of people—Podima included, and myself included, didn’t manage to step outside of that feeling to give a critical eye in the moment.

That was a lesson that we all ultimately came around on. Those boundaries, that safety, is something we proactively try to address now.Too late to avert disaster, but it did happen. Podima was never some magical realm creep, just a guy who got too caught up in a game and made some bad choices, while he was in a community leadership position. And those are experiences he learned from, as he himself said when he apologized and stepped down. He’s a person—as someone who values the ability to learn from mistakes, I would say a good person—not a cartoon pervert.

If you think that’s banworthy, that’s your opinion to hold, but I really think it’s important to evaluate this on the first-hand facts, and not the reductive shitposting that fills a lot of this thread.

Also, I’m quoting you again to exhibit, like a grade school teacher, how you are full of poo poo and your essay fails to convince. I highlighted the first attempted acknowledgement of harm done. Read that sentence. Read it again. Look throughout the rest of your post for anything else critical that isn’t qualified with a but.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know you're trying to stick up for your gross little friend group but you and the permabanned weirdo did nothing but make it worse for podima lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's been a lot of good points in the past few pages but also lmao at the Mafia community getting their minds blown at accidentally reinventing abusive cult LARPs. Sorry, that's nowhere near new and anyone who still thinks that way (which is apparently some people here given the one creep showing up to say she had no regrets before eating a permaban) needs to gently caress off.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 19, 2023

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

jesus christ

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wait so i just put all of the dots together on this

the autistic sexbot character was from an adaptation of a LARP? like the original author of this who is floating somewhere out in the RPG world expected you to act like this character in person toward other people???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*DSP voice* I’m the one who ran the sex torture Riven roleplay. Me. Ree