Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I don't know about this specific instance but most roleplaying games will have a rule that anyone is allowed to veto anything, at any time, for any reason or an unstated reason, and the correct response is to go along with that at the time and perhaps, *perhaps* discuss it afterwards if you want to know what was upsetting and what to avoid in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I used to be in a lot of text-based online roleplay like 15-20 years ago and this kind of skeezy behaviour was not uncommon and it was creepy AF then. I don't give a gently caress if people want to do weird sex RP on their own time, whatever, but to trick other people into it and then dismiss their concerns because it will affect the sanctity of your loving RP plot is disgusting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not pushing admin panel buttons because I became an admin several hours ago and know fuckall about how to remove IKs

Just do it what's the worst that can happen

*forums tumble off a cliff and catch fire, a single wheel rolls out of the burning wreckage*

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bifauxnen's post touches on something I wasn't sure how to say which is that if you're not in the hobby, it's hard to explain how life-consuming and emotional and high-stakes online RP can feel. In my early 20s I used to get *way* too sucked into similar online spaces, and there are good reasons I don't join those kinds of games any more.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

speng31b posted:

The discussion of disallowing OOC stuff triggered some latent memories I had about playing muds and mushes ages ago where OOC was strictly illegal and admins would ban you if they found out you were doing it.

I don't know jack poo poo about about most of what was discussed itt, but I can confirm that RP intense games where OOC is illegal is a very old recipe for a very hosed up power structure that is super easy to turn sour. Players get way too sucked in and stuff gets weird very easily if the admins are a little shady or immature. Recipe for absolutely insane situations.

Do you remember WORA? Goddamn that was a forum and a half

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

American McGay posted:

High-stakes online RP? What in the world lmfao

That's the thing, it isn't high stakes at all but it *feels* high stakes. It's really hosed up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

very nice i like posted:

Listen I don't care if someone is wheelchair bound and chained to a beam in their basement or whatever other reason goons give for attaching their entire being to online activity, this is outside of reality and not healthy lol like come on

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, it is super unhealthy and a very bad scene.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah and if you're online enough to get sucked into this stuff, it's possible that it will become basically your only social outlet and these are your main friend group and disconnecting feels hard. ...it is actually a bit like a cult now I think about it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

he was in an ik position while all of this was happening. I don't know when he was made mod because I'm going to be honest. it's very hard to tell the difference between IK's and mods half the time and they're listed in the same place on the forum.

I didn't want to raise anything because like, even during this thread, other people who had legitimately talked to me about some of these things were getting dms about how evil and gaslighting I am. He/was is beloved by the forums community. Peramene, the permabanned user, was incredibly celebrated as being an incredible writer who made some of the best and most engaging and intense games people had ever played.

I figured he would be the IK of a community but that means very little, and all my friends had already left had or talked about how I had personally betrayed them and their community and were no longer my friends, so I figured it would all it would be a one-off thing that I could just bury.

also it was all offsite discord rp poo poo in a community that would spend three to four hours a day every day rping. the whole thing sounds insane and I figured nobody would treat any of it seriously because what the gently caress.

This makes total sense to me. I remember from MU* days how 'rockstar' writers and plotters could get away with all kinds of poo poo. I'm really sick this happened so recently.

For folk asking, no, this isn't normal for this kind of game. It *used* to be unremarkable because power-tripping assholes will use any opportunity to be overbearing and creepy. But in the modern day there are widely known, agreed-upon safety guidelines and nothing like this should ever happen. As I posted back sometime last night, the correct thing to happen in any roleplaying game, voice or in person or text based, is that if someone is uncomfortable they can indicate that somehow (sometimes there's a card with an X on it to point to, or a private channel to type 'X' into or whatever) and the plot *immediately changes*. Whatever was making them uneasy is instantly dropped. Sometimes that might mean a break in the game because oh poo poo, I didn't know Player had trauma relating to fires, I will have to rewrite this plot without fires now. Either way though nobody has to justify why they're asking for a halt, nobody should be made to feel like they can't or told 'just trust me' or rolled over.

And of course if you are running a game with darker themes you have to make it explicitly clear upfront what those themes will be so people can dip out earlier.

There was a bit of a scandal a while back in one of the big actual plays, Critical Role maybe? Where someone's character was put in a sexual situation and they were unhappy about it and the DM lost his position because of it. I can't remember who it was or even what game it was in.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks to everyone coming forward. It's tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks pog