Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is obviously disturbing to find out. Maybe SA needs a way to deal with extreme offsite misbehavior on the part of the mod team, or perhaps even non-mods if it's extreme enough? Obviously, the SAD model of public shaming would work but the issue here is this accuser* clearly did not feel empowered to mention this when they were an IK and later a Mod. Now, is this because of an issue with previous Trad Games mods would not have listened? That sounds plausible, considering what I know of the TG moderation team as it was composed until recently. Also, I think in the distant past generally the site as a whole didn't want to import offsite drama** but this may show that may not be working.

And yes, I think offsite behavior is perfectly germane to whether someone should be considered to be part of the community management here.

*I do not use the word "accuser" to in any way minimize or doubt the claims. I have not read the accusations outside of what's here because I don't really think I've got that bandwith this second. I believe them, even though it shocks me.
**I do not use the word "drama" to in any way minimize that this is serious. "Offsite drama" is just the neologism, which I am using specifically because it's a concept we hear about sometimes. This goes beyond "drama" in the typical internet sense, and is a serious harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Leperflesh isn't an admin tho he's posting as a poster.

Yes but it's not unconnected either. He's the mod of the subforum Podima was IK-ing and presumably has something to do with their modding. Quote from when they were modded. In the quote, they say that it was agreed upon by TG mods and admins, so presumably he had something to do with this elevation. Once elevated to mod, presumably Jeffrey took from the list of existing mods and the rest is history.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

They wouldn't have listened because Podima was already an IK/mod or do you mean something else?

I was more referring to the mod team at the time of this event in a broad sense. But yeah, you're probably correct about that. They were assumed to be "good" because they had the star, despite there being very little or possibly zero vetting.

Peachfart posted:

No reason to be super mad about all this, but it does show that the community should vet positions. If a mod if being made for a particular forum, ask the forum. If an admin is being made, ask SAD and make an announcement if you want.
This is all fairly simple.

Here's the real corollary to that: since this vetting has not been happening and it's been by fiat of existing IKs or mods, how do we possibly deal with any lovely mods who have already been entrenched? Or for that matter, admins? Maybe admins are rare enough that it would be unlikely to see one elevated except that literally just happened.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm not gonna say modding isn't hard when there's four war threads full of perverts posting dead bodies at each other. Even in the best of times its a rough gig, made worse by posters taking everything as personally as possible.
Fluffdaddy is right, this incident has been a major step backwards in terms of trust between the user base and the moderation team. This probably isn't the thread for it but I'm not sure what will be done to mend those fences.

Maybe instead of Jeffrey->Admins->Mods->IKs it should be Jeffrey -> paid professional community manager -> Admins -> Mods -> IKs. Running mostly on volunteer strangers from the internet might mean these problems are endemic unless managed by a professional. But then again, I don't know. I'm not a community manager.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

he was in an ik position while all of this was happening. I don't know when he was made mod because I'm going to be honest. it's very hard to tell the difference between IK's and mods half the time and they're listed in the same place on the forum.

On or before August 15th, 2022.