Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I've never done the discord/forum RP thing and freely admit I 100% do not understand what anyone finds interesting about it but unless I'm woefully mistaken I suspect the "24/7" aspect is being kinda overstated. I do from time to time play RP MUDs (think text-based MMORPG) and it's.. literally just an MMO, except you playact a role as a character, and it's "24/7" in the sense that it's always online and there's usually always someone around but there is no expectation that anyone actually engage with it 24/7, people drop in after work or on their day off and see what's going on and go do something or go talk to eachother and then they go to bed or go to work or go to the bar or go gently caress their spouses or whatever else they're up to with their actual life. There's still issues of FOMO, excessive attachment, and OOC siloing creating the opportunity for bizarre admin powertrips, and struggling with player safety, consent, acceptable content, and dispute resolution has been a process of continual improvement over the 20+ years these games have been operating, but like, idk I feel like people are picturing something much weirder than the reality?

That said, I suspect the comparatively pretty tiny playerbase and GM-intensive nature of the discord RP thing exacerbates some of the worst problems, though.

lol @ this entire debacle this thread's been a great read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU